Fuel Consumption ML430

Joreysdad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 w210 estate
Hi

I have previousley posted regarding the power loss of this car under acceleration and was advised that the MAF might be the cause. It turned out it was and it went back to the garage who had worked on the car prior to my buying it to be fixed.

Before it went back, the car was returning 22mpg on a run at 80mph and was idling perfectly. Now, although the power issue has been sorted (this was an intermittent fault that had only occured twice under heavy acceleration) I can only get a max of 13mpg.

During the previous post I had been advised that I could remove the MAF altogether and this would sort the power problem although she would idle a little rough.

I had the car converted to gas just prior to getting the MAF fixed and now when she runs on petrol (as she needs to to warm up ready to switch to gas)the car does indeed idle rough.

I am wondering if the garage fixed the problem by taking out the MAF!

So my question is would taking it out also affect fuel consumption? And where is it located on my vehicle so I can take a look see :)

Thanks in advance :)

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Sounds like a can of worms to me. Are you saying she now does 13mpg on petrol, or on gas?? MPG on gas will be less anyway.

Have they fitted a genuine MAF?? Some chinese copies have been found to overfuel.

When on gas, your car is using a completely seperate management system, so any running faults on petrol should disappear.

The MAF is fitted in the air pipe, between the air filter housing and inlet manifold.

OP
Joreysdad

Joreysdad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 w210 estate
Can o worms indeed!! She does 13mpg on gas, not sure on petrol as I'm not running her on it other than warming up. Was expecting about 13 on gas around town but more on a run. Mainly because she did so well on petrol the first time I took her to swansea.

Reason I'm thinking things not right comes from the idle problem really, as I had been told about rough idling without the MAF (or MAS - same thing I believe).

As I understand the gas system I have it mirrors the fuel engine management. It was developed by Mclaren for mercedes.

Will take a look see.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom