fumes in cabin - smoke from centre of air filter and fumes i

Status
Not open for further replies.

p

Reaction score
My w123t 200 has a strong smell of fumes in the cabin coming from the air vents. When i looked under the bonnet i could see smoke coming from the centre of the air filter. The car has done 150,000+ and is burning  oil, (blue smoke noticeable when cold or when changing gear.) What do you think the problem is? and what is the best course of action?

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
fumes in cabin

Hi P,

I think you now what the answer is!?!?
These early(102) engines  do not do the fantastic millages everybody thinks they do. Or should I say, they do not do them in shall we say, good shape. I would expect that the engine will require a full overhaul. The smell is the oil fumes coming out via the breathing system. Remove the air filter housing. If the air filter is full of oil, or there is oil in the air filter housing. Then this will substantiate my theory.

Before you rush out and fit a new recon engine. Check what you are actually getting for your money. Make sure your getting new timing chain & gears & the cam is ok.

Always, but always, make sure it is fitted with running in oil. This will prevent premature wear of the piston rings.

Regards
Andy @ www.mercedesservicing.com

OP
P

p

Reaction score
fumes in cabin

Thanks for the reply,
There does not seem to be any oil contamination in the air filter or its housing. underneath? A mechanic mentioned  to me that it could be caused by a leaking gasket(rocker cover?)   If what you say is correct, would it better to overhaul the existing engine or fit a whole one? my car was made in 84, could i fit a 124 200 engine?

Andy

Reaction score
Website
fumes in cabin

Hi P,

The answer to your question is yes. A 124 engine will fit into a 123. There are a couple of mods. The engine mountings are different. You have to modify the bolt holes whether you use a 123 or 124 block. Remove the inlet manifold if using a injection engine. Also remove the core plug from the cylinder head, where the inlet manifold  meets the cyl head. You will see what I mean if you match them up together.

I am always one for fitting the original engine if poss. So I would overhaul your engine if poss. But that wouldn't stop me from fitting another engine, if there was a substantial cost difference. Remember though. What is cheap is not always good value.

Good luck
Andy @www.mercedesservicing.com

Andy

Reaction score
Website
fumes in cabin

Hi P,

The answer to your question is yes. A 124 engine will fit into a 123. There are a couple of mods. The engine mountings are different. You have to modify the bolt holes whether you use a 123 or 124 block. Remove the inlet manifold if using a injection engine. Also remove the core plug from the cylinder head, where the inlet manifold  meets the cyl head. You will see what I mean if you match them up together.

I am always one for fitting the original engine if poss. So I would overhaul your engine if poss. But that wouldn't stop me from fitting another engine, if there was a substantial cost difference. Remember though. What is cheap is not always good value.

Good luck

Andy

Reaction score
Website
fumes in cabin

Hi P,

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom