G3 Body Prep Clay Mitt

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Bought (well, got it 'free' in Halfords 3 for 2 offer ;) ) myself one of these yesterday.

product_clay_mitt.png

http://www.g3pro.com/product/body-prep-clay-mitt/

I washed yet another layer of Saharan sand from the car using Meg's Gold Class shampoo and then used the clay mitt. I used the clean, soapy wash solution as lube. The microfibre backing to the mitt hold plenty of liquid so the rubbery "clay" surface glides easily over the paintwork.

Initially there was a fair bit of gritty, scratchy noises :shock::shock: but after a couple of passes these disappeared. I rinsed down the surface, dried with a microfibre cloth and squinted closely..... No marring! :)

Finished off with a couple of coats of Autoglym SRP (just trialling and comparing to Black Hole...) well pleased with the results ;)

All-in-all I would say the clay mitt seems to do the job of surface prep very well. Much easier than the traditional clay bar, less likely to slip from one's grasp!

Recommended :cool:

nokia

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde
I have used this myself too. It is very good.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Bought (well, got it 'free' in Halfords 3 for 2 offer ;) ) myself one of these yesterday.

product_clay_mitt.png

http://www.g3pro.com/product/body-prep-clay-mitt/

I washed yet another layer of Saharan sand from the car using Meg's Gold Class shampoo and then used the clay mitt. I used the clean, soapy wash solution as lube. The microfibre backing to the mitt hold plenty of liquid so the rubbery "clay" surface glides easily over the paintwork.

Initially there was a fair bit of gritty, scratchy noises :shock::shock: but after a couple of passes these disappeared. I rinsed down the surface, dried with a microfibre cloth and squinted closely..... No marring! :)

Finished off with a couple of coats of Autoglym SRP (just trialling and comparing to Black Hole...) well pleased with the results ;)

All-in-all I would say the clay mitt seems to do the job of surface prep very well. Much easier than the traditional clay bar, less likely to slip from one's grasp!

Recommended :cool:

Peter how does it compare with Black hole? Better?

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Peter how does it compare with Black hole? Better?

End results are indistinguishable but I think I prefer working with Black Hole, especially using a DA. BH works longer on the pad (Chemical Guys Hex-logic green), the SRP dries very quickly. I read spraying with detailer spray helps but I didn't try that.
BH also takes Meg's liquid ultimate wax better, both fine with Collinite 915 though.

Last edited:

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
When I (occasionally!) clay my car, I use 1/4 of the Bilt Hamber block, turn it frequently and, after using it on glass first, then car, then wheels, bin it (and if I'm daft enough to drop it on the ground, bin it immediately). How do you do that with this mitt? I'd think that unless you can change the surface in contact with the paintwork, you'd have a good chance of the clay catching a piece of grit then scratching the paintwork on the rest of the car!

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
One constantly rinses the mitt in the clean soapy water. The question has been raised many times and so far no one has reported on additional marring caused by the mitt. Presumably the removed contamination/grit doesn't embed itself into the rubbery surface of the mitt like it does in normal clay bars?

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I love this mitt, I would never use clay again.

I did a Z3 with it the other day and it was completely clayed in around 30 minutes.

I bought the car and it was in a right state, I thought it may need a complete respray, however.....

2 bucket wash with Megs NXT (hard water area and Gold Class leaves streaks).
Clay Mitt.
G3 Scratch remover
G3 Colour Restorer
Megs Deep Crystal

and it looked much much better....

z3_1.JPG

z3_2.JPG

z3_4.JPG

I am going to do it again next week and then wax it, but was very happy with the results.

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Interesting what you say about Gold Class and hard water. In never put the two together, this may be my problem!
I'm about to start using Autoglym shampoo, any experience with this?

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
I hadn't either, but I was in Halfords buying the mitt and needed some more shampoo so googled NXT vs Gold Class and a few people said NXT if you live in a hard water area, and sure enough it seemed to be better.

Not used the AG shampoo for years.

I bought my bottle of Gold Class about 3 years ago and only just used it up, I don't clean my car all that often. :(

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I'll look into NXT.

I might open a shop soon with all the 'spare' bottles of stuff I have...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i never get time to wash my car!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
OK bit of a resurrection on this thread, bought one so I could give my car a really good clean before the GTG last weekend and as I’ve never clayed my car before couldn't believe how easy it was. I actually washed the car as normal before with 2 buckets, microfiber mit and G3 body prep professional shampoo. I then instead of using a detailing spray got a fresh bucket of soapy water and dipped the clay mit into that. Managed about 1-2 sq foot of body before rinsing the mit and going over again (with a rinse of the area with fresh water in between), had a feel of the paint after doing this and wow what a difference and soooo easy. I really think my car has never been done, I know it hasn't in the 5 years I’ve had her.

not quite sure if I will get another use out of the mit as I think the car was very bad to begin with but I’ll try, if not well I’ll know the next one I buy will last a good few times before needing to me thrown.

How are others finding the longevity of the mit?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
How are others finding the longevity of the mit?

Mine's brilliant so far Matt. Bought it on Peter's recommendation on this thread though, due to circumstances beyond my control, it's still in the wrapping it came in.

So a few months and as new. :D

It will be getting used in the next couple of weeks hopefully, as I haven't enough clay bar left to do the full car with for it's pre-winter deep clean. :)

B

brick10

Clay Bar

I'm afraid I have some clay bar left over from the last time I used it,
so it looks like I will have to use it up before I buy a clay mitt.
A PITA but it's got to be done before winter.

Tonysmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Amg sport bluetec auto convertible
I've got the mitt, done both, car and Vito, great bit of kit, recommend it.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 47

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I've done three cars with the mitt and I'm sure there is at least one more good clean left in it. I wouldn't be without one now.

Blueberry69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
These clay mitts should last for anything up to about 30 uses. They are very good value for money. Always remember to break them in on glass first too.

Boxbrownie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350Cdi BE but now a Q3
These clay mitts should last for anything up to about 30 uses. They are very good value for money. Always remember to break them in on glass first too.

I am sure the specs say much more than 4 or 5 uses, and I have used mine 4 times now and still feels like new so I am sure your correct.

Why the glass routine? Nothing about that on the G3 site as far as I can find.

Blueberry69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
I am sure the specs say much more than 4 or 5 uses, and I have used mine 4 times now and still feels like new so I am sure your correct.

Why the glass routine? Nothing about that on the G3 site as far as I can find.

You use them on glass first to break them in as the " scratchiness" for want of a better word, is at its height. Breaking it in on the glass softens this down and it's better to do it on the glass rather than the paint, where you would get marring. With the clay mitts you can really hear the good it's doing to your car. When you first start you can hear the contaminants being picked up but as you go back and forth over the panel, the noise decreases as the mitt does its job.

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom