glow plugs changed

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
I have been having the glow plug light coming on after start up on my 320cdi so decided to change all glow plugs as 2 of them were off. I was trying to be so carefull removing the plugs, not to snap any after reading many threads about breaking them, I accidentally broke one of the plastic T pieces on the injector fuel return pipes. The dealer dont sell only the plastic T, you have to buy the pipe with all 6 T pieces at a cost of £76.Seems a hefty price to pay for a plastic T piece repair but no other option & I was happy all glow plugs were out. Anyway completed the job but glow plug light still coming on.I remembered seeing threads about repairing the glow plug relay, with photos from Psmart,sure enough one of the fusable links was blown. repaired it by soldering it ( but now unsure at what amps this will blow to protect the system,maybe I should have soldered some fuse wire into it) but everything is working as it should now. The help,advice & information people share on this forum is much appreciated.Without knowlage of the fusable links it would have been another expensive visit to the dealer.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
I have a relay sat downstairs with 2 broken links, perhaps its possibly to buy replacements. They are fuses after all :)

I bet you could guess the fuse rating by measuring the resistance through the glowplug, and the voltage across it when powered. Add an amp or two and it should be fine. No idea what kind of melting time it would be though.

Top Bottom