Glow plugs Disaster!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Hi thought about some resin in the gap between the electrode and the plug body so as to steady the electrode whilst you drill it for the tap
I still reckon that the tip could be removed
I noticed that the tip is only a press fit in the plug body no crimping etc so I could under cut the plug body inside the bore where the tip would end up to leave a step and then flair the tip end in to the under cut creating some interference fit, using the long screw with the slow taper to flair the tip in to the under cut, make it long enough to leave in and use the other end to jack the whole thing out.

Kevin

yes, i get it, another good idea. you have been thinking hard about this one kevin. is the tip material malleable enough to flare out? looks a bit brittle to me...

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
yes, i get it, another good idea. you have been thinking hard about this one kevin. is the tip material malleable enough to flare out? looks a bit brittle to me...
I'm going to section the plug that I took out to show the bit that broke off I would think it will obviously there isn't an undercut in this one so it wont show any flaring shaded portion in pic three show the bit that broke off its wandered of slightly pic shows the screw in situ

Kevin

Attachments

• Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 58
  • plug two.JPG
    plug two.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 51
  • plug three.JPG
    plug three.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 166.jpg
    Picture 166.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Hi thought about some resin in the gap between the electrode and the plug body so as to steady the electrode whilst you drill it for the tap
I still reckon that the tip could be removed
I noticed that the tip is only a press fit in the plug body no crimping etc so I could under cut the plug body inside the bore where the tip would end up to leave a step and then flair the tip end in to the under cut creating some interference fit, using the long screw with the slow taper to flair the tip in to the under cut, make it long enough to leave in and use the other end to jack the whole thing out.

Kevin

Kevin,

When you flare the glow tube, how do you stop it simply being pushed into the cylinder?

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Ha yes you got me there
could only rely on the fact that it was so tight that it pulled free from the interference fit in the plug
So this might be enough to stop it simply being pushed into the cylinder
could tap the tip to start with try light slid hammer
if then its to tight then revert back to flaring method
might be possible then to lock tight the tip & plug back together then try flaring method
if then its moving with flaring method stop then revert back to sealing everything up as you said

Kevin

Last edited:

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Sorry!,, I'll try to come up with something more positive,...

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Might be an idea to disable the cooling fans (pull fuse) and allow the engine to run up into the 'red' area of the temp guage (but not past the red area) ......there is a possiblity that running the engine up to its absolute safe maximum temperature the g/plug aperture will expand fractionally enough to allow the tip to blow out.

If this does not work i would leave well alone untill such times the head needs to come off for some other reason later on and tackle the job then.

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
I'd be nice to have some sort of super hoover and just suck it out. Thanks for the pic of sliced head. It defo looks like tip can drop in if pushed. I will think twice before attempting anything now.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Please forgive the slight academic tangent - but, have you noticed how much effort MB have taken to make the coolant space extend close to the injector tip?

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Got another idea about trying to extract this.

How about long cylindrical tube with inner thread (ideally reversed) to be screwed on the wire that is left still in. Once when on I can pull it out. Will probably struggle to find something like that but may worth a go.

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi I'm still thinking about this one
I'm going to make a split 5mm collet holder, long series that can be closed (tightened up from above) from out side the hole, maybe with the fairing system that I mentioned before but you would need to remove the electrode

there you are I've said it so I'll have to make it now:D

Kevin

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
Can I be the first one to test it :)

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi yes
I'll test it then post it down to you then you can try then send it back to me but it needs to be made first might be a few days though need some info of just what is left in the hole maybe something like this see pic it is of the earlier picture of the cylinder head
Red outline is my estimation of where the tip lies
Blue outline is my estimation of where the electrode lies
Maybe you could estimate on the lengths of these items
I might of got this wrong but it’s a start, maybe the electrode as completely been removed which would be better
Kevin

Attachments

• tip1.JPG
    tip1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 66
  • tip3.JPG
    tip3.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi made a start of the tool

Kevin

Attachments

• Picture 137.jpg
    Picture 137.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 138.jpg
    Picture 138.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Hi got a thread to do at the back end 10 X 1.0mm I think I've got a 5 degree taper on the collet so its going to get hold tight from that,
I did try and rotate the tip in another one that I have and it was very tight well tighter that I think this tool will produce but hey we can only try

Kevin

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
kevin, i applaud your enthusiasm and determination. furthermore i am gobsmacked at your machining prowess, bravo!!! it would be fantastic to see the o/p's glow plug tip removed :D, it HAS been a long thread...

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>so its going to get hold tight from that

Yes - you might also want to put some steel rod inside the glow tube before you clamp onto the outside, to prevent the hollow tube simply collapsing away from your collet.

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
>>so its going to get hold tight from that

Yes - you might also want to put some steel rod inside the glow tube before you clamp onto the outside, to prevent the hollow tube simply collapsing away from your collet.

OK that's why I need some fed back as I think that Google44 mentioned that some of the electrode is still in there, sheared off part way down which might help,
I don’t think that the tip will collapse as it is a press pit in the plug; if it would collapse then this might be a more common problem.
Might be possible to get the flairing system down in there as well but I won't be doing this job this might be a bit complex for some (drilling it to the tip)

Thanks for the advice Kevin

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
Just noticed your piccie - are you in the Northern Off Road Club?

OP
G

Google44

Reaction score
I will get the estimate of the wire still left. If I remeber it correct it should be around an inch. Will PM you my address.

Thanks

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom