Glowplug removal - Blowlamp assisted?

Hibbo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the blowlamp on the plugs on my 606 before undoing them. Any thoughts?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would have thought that would make them expand and therefore tighter.
I wonder if getting the engine hot them using freezer spray on the glow plugs would free them up?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would have thought that would make them expand and therefore tighter.
I wonder if getting the engine hot them using freezer spray on the glow plugs would free them up?

As Blobcat, heat the head and freeze the plug, dont forget that it is often easier to tighten a touch in order to undo it.

malcolm

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
I think it would be hard to focus the effects of freezing to just one part. Since they are in contact with each other the head would also experience a drop in temp. Thus giving no benefit - a waste of time! I agree that a little tug clockwise would break the plug free allowing you to unscrew it more easily. :rolleyes:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think it would be hard to focus the effects of freezing to just one part. Since they are in contact with each other the head would also experience a drop in temp. Thus giving no benefit - a waste of time! I agree that a little tug clockwise would break the plug free allowing you to unscrew it more easily. :rolleyes:
I have a freezer spray which will with sufficient application go down to -50'. This is from a very small nozzle same as a WD40 straw so I beg to differ. I have used it for thermal shock to break the seal on rusted bolts.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Or you could just run the engine up to temperature. Much more effective.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom