Got a merc with 3g/UMTS and use Mercedes ME app ?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
i totally agree that this is a disappointment, i'm guessing your friend with 2018 model actually has 4g, it'll be visible on his comand screen (3G or 4G)
The GLC uses the older NTG5*2 Comand so won’t show 3/4G but VIN decoder will confirm one way or another. Mid 2018 was the changeover from one to t’other for Mercedes

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
update: on Monday the problem went from bad to worse, in that now the Mercedes Me app no longer shows any info such as:

mileage traveled
tire air pressure
doors open/locked
service info (oil/etc)

and is now totally useless. How are Mercedes thinking here ? when will we be offered an upgrade to 4g/5g option, does anyone outside of UK have any updates on this ? (I live in Sweden)

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
and now things are getting weirder !

i just got another 'notification' on my phone (first screenshot) from Mercedes Me saying they've updated the services to the Mercedes Me app (in swedish), this is exactly how the latest change to the Mercedes Me app appeared on Monday,

so once again i opened the app to see what if anything has changed and...., now all the info is BACK,

wtf is going on... the app was blank for two days,

Attachments

• IMG_2102.PNG
    IMG_2102.PNG
    843 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2103.PNG
    IMG_2103.PNG
    474.2 KB · Views: 8

Gwladok5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220D AMG Line 2DR Auto 2018 2.1
Hi!

I'm sorry if this subject is being discussed in other areas of this forum.

Having spoken to someone on the Mercedes Me App contact no. I've now had confirmation why my app subscription hasn't been renewed.

It seems that Mercedes use the Vodaphone network who have told them of their intention to withdraw the 3G network; I presume it will be sometime over the next 12 months as my annual subscription due Feb has not been renewed.

I suppose my post is only to have a rant at the way Mercedes have handled this situation by not contacting their customers to inform them of the iminent withdrawal of services; some are incidental but the Geofencing was a valuable security service.

Finally maybe some "techie" on here can explain something to me - aside from paying £1,000 to "upgrade" the Command system to handle 4G, I am curious to understand why my vehicle registered 03/18 was fitted with a 3G chip, when 4G had begun to roll out in the UK in 2012!!

Thanks for bearing with me!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi!

Having spoken to someone on the Mercedes Me App contact no. I've now had confirmation why my app subscription hasn't been renewed.

It seems that Mercedes use the Vodaphone network who have told them of their intention to withdraw the 3G network; I presume it will be sometime over the next 12 months as my annual subscription due Feb has not been renewed.

I suppose my post is only to have a rant at the way Mercedes have handled this situation by not contacting their customers to inform them of the iminent withdrawal of services; some are incidental but the Geofencing was a valuable security service.

Finally maybe some "techie" on here can explain something to me - aside from paying £1,000 to "upgrade" the Command system to handle 4G, I am curious to understand why my vehicle registered 03/18 was fitted with a 3G chip, when 4G had begun to roll out in the UK in 2012!!

Hello and welcome,

I've copied your post into a thread covering this exact topic for you.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi!

You missed it by about 6 months - my 9/18 car has 4G

Gwladok5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220D AMG Line 2DR Auto 2018 2.1
You missed it by about 6 months - my 9/18 car has 4G
Thanks!

Still can't understand why they took so long to fit 4g chips. I assume they had millions of 3g in stock!!

Was wondering how many other car owners of differing makes ie. BMW, are experiencing the same problem?

OP
anyweb

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
Thanks!

Still can't understand why they took so long to fit 4g chips. I assume they had millions of 3g in stock!!

Was wondering how many other car owners of differing makes ie. BMW, are experiencing the same problem?
yes all car manufacturers that had 3g modules fitted for these remote actions have the same problem, however some (bmw i think) offer free upgrades. see this thread for more details https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819108

also notice how BMW actually contacted the owners to inform them of the coming doom and offered an upgrade.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Sadly mobile tech moves faster than car tech utilising such tech. Super frustrating I can imagine for those who use such services.
Maybe merc rely on the Apple model - expect customers
buy a new car (phone) every few years.
All rather odd as a fee years ago MB were really pushing Mercedes Me.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sadly mobile tech moves faster than car tech utilising such tech. Super frustrating I can imagine for those who use such services.
It’s another reason I’ve zero interest in a new car (of any brand) it’s all about the tech that’s going out of date faster than milk left out of the fridge in the middle of August…

JohnHansen29

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C200 2017
Actually here in the UK Offcom (the telecoms regulator) says here https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tel...tion-for-industry/policy/2g-and-3g-switch-off say

"
The UK’s mobile network operators have confirmed to the Government that they do not intend to offer their 2G and 3G networks past 2033 at the latest. This will support the roll-out of the 4G and 5G networks which will offer faster and more reliable services for customers. The operators are making their own decisions on the timing and process of the switch-offs, and they all plan to switch off their 3G networks first. The switch-off will impact customers using older mobile devices and services – most customers already have 4G (and increasingly 5G) capable devices and their services won’t be affected."

So that seems to imply that 2033 is the final switch off date.

I did contact MB Customer and they told me it was because Switzerland was turning off 3g.

Sheer good customer service means they should have at least told us as customers what was happening.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom