GPS Antenna repair.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The replacement antenna arrived yesterday from Germany for the grand sum of £12 inc postage so as it was nice today I thought I'd crack on and fix it.

New Antenna
20180405_163820[1].jpg

After removing the n/s boot lining the DVD drive was revealed
DSCF0195.JPG

When you remove a 10mm bolt from underneath, the whole unit swings out from the bodywork. Be careful not to catch any wires hanging over the steel cage.
20180406_134351.jpg

The blue fakra connection at the bottom left of the drive was removed and the new plug fitted. The cable was zip tied to the harness along with the old fakra cable. Its doing no harm leaving it there.
DSCF0198.JPG

It was also noticable that two wires in the n/s hinge harness had broken and shorted out against the hinge. Spot the black burns on the hinge?
20180406_135143.jpg

No idea what these wires did, but I stripped back the insulation and re -joined the two broken wires and taped them back with the rest of the hinge harness. It was at this point my camera battery failed so no more photos unfortunately.

I took Command Onlines advice and placed the new antenna in the rear parcel shelf area and securely tied back the cable away from the hinge.
After reassembly, the acid test was to see if it worked.

On turning on the Sat Nav, I still had a map of London, but I slowly drove off and within 25 metres the map flickered and I was back in Poole on the correct road shown by the map.

So thanks to all for the info I received, and I now have a working Sat Nav again and it cost me £12 and about 1.5 hrs of my time. Well pleased.

Last edited:

Tony Collins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 amg 2011
Is it always in the left side of trunk?
I’ve a w212 saloon and there is nothing there, need to change the gps antenna
Thanks

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Nice one.

If rejoining cable I prefer the solder option,
I bought one of these a while back, really because I was replacing my mast head light on the boat and it was the only realistic way. But it's been excellent for many applications since.
Cordless Auto Ignition Butane Gas Soldering Iron Kit Self Ignite Welding Torch | eBay

I then insulate. A slide over sleeving is good, as can be cable shrink wrap
328pcs Kit Heat Sleeve Assortment Tubing Electrical Cable Tube Shrink Wrap Wire | eBay

But possibly better for future prtection is this sort of thing
Flexible 2M Electrical Spiral Cable Wrap Tidy
Cord Wire Organizer 10/25mm Supply | eBay

We used to use what we call spirowrap, that we would wind onto the cable but I can't find the stuff now.

I'm sure other ways are as good but thought the tips may be useful to any one else doing similar.

OP
AMGeed

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Is it always in the left side of trunk?
I’ve a w212 saloon and there is nothing there, need to change the gps antenna
Thanks

You may be able to follow the cable from the roof antenna down the left side of the rear screen and find its entry point into the boot. It may also go under the roof lining?
As you have found, my description was for a W211 E class and I don't know where the other end of the antenna cable plugs in.
If you give Comandonline a call, (have your vin# handy) they can supply you with an OEM GPS antenna and advise where its located if you want to go the DIY route. Otherwise, if you are close enough to Lightwater Surrey, they'll fit it for you.

https://www.commandonline.co.uk/

Tony Collins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 w212 amg 2011
Thank you buddy, all sorted, I’m about to do what you’ve done and postpics and info for DiY install
Maybe help someone else in future

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom