Great to be here!

McGee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 300sl
I've seen many helpful conversations going here and I'm sure they're going to be my go to sourse in the future.I recently purchased a 1992 R129 and its keeping me pretty busy just doing general maint. on it because it sat garaged (from the previous owner) for most of the time for the past nine years. Being retired now this Benz has saved my sanity.Anyway,I hope I might have the chance to help someone here with a problem as well.Thanks!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome aboard buddy . Sounds like a full time job , maybe put a few pictures up when you get the chance . There are loads of people on here with the experience to help you (not me :))

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello and welcome! I'm sure LK will be along shortly to talk "old SL" language with you :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi McGee, welcome to the forum :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hello and welcome! I'm sure LK will be along shortly to talk "old SL" language with you :D
And here I am :)

Welcome aboard - As Vintage Racer said - Great choice of car!

Is yours a late 92 or early 92? They changed the injection system on them during 1992 from a mechanical injection to electronic. You can tell the difference by looking at the black covers (filter boxes) - the early one has a big metal spider looking thing at the back and the later one has just a large expanse of black plastic cover.

If its the latter one beware the crumbling wiring loom issues - MB changed the insulation on the later one to a biodegradeable plastic which unfortunately biodegrades rather too quickly when in hot environments. This usually affects the injection harness and the throttle body harness. If yours is the earlier one you've dodged that particular bullet!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi McGee and welcome to the forum

OP
M

McGee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 300sl
I've seen many helpful conversations going here and I'm sure they're going to be my go to sourse in the future.I recently purchased a 1992 R129 and its keeping me pretty busy just doing general maint. on it because it sat garaged (from the previous owner) for most of the time for the past nine years. Being retired now this Benz has saved my sanity.Anyway,I hope I might have the chance to help someone here with a problem as well.Thanks!
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Still trying to find how to maneuver my way around here and post a question or two.My Benz is a 300SL 24 valve and according to the invoice it has electronic/mechanical fuel injection.I'm having that well known problem that the auto.trans.will not shift into 5th gear.I have yet to check the micro switch at the console.Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I'll take some pictures later,she is pretty!Right now its up on jacks while I wait for a new rubber fuel line that goes from the out on the fuel filter to the forward feeding fuel line.When I first got her there was no front brakes.I found that somehow the ABS unit was frozen and would only allow the rear brakes to work.I bought a used unit on Ebay,installed and bled it as I flushed the system with new Bosch break fluid.Breaks are very good now.Having some fun!Thanks everyone.

OP
M

McGee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1992 300sl
And here I am :)

Welcome aboard - As Vintage Racer said - Great choice of car!

Is yours a late 92 or early 92? They changed the injection system on them during 1992 from a mechanical injection to electronic. You can tell the difference by looking at the black covers (filter boxes) - the early one has a big metal spider looking thing at the back and the later one has just a large expanse of black plastic cover.

If its the latter one beware the crumbling wiring loom issues - MB changed the insulation on the later one to a biodegradeable plastic which unfortunately biodegrades rather too quickly when in hot environments. This usually affects the injection harness and the throttle body harness. If yours is the earlier one you've dodged that particular bullet!
Hi Lk,Thanks for the info.and the welcome.I have a question about my 1992 300SL 5th gear(auto trans.) that I wanted to post.I cant figure out how to post it! Could you advise me on what I got to do ? Thanks,Mc.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom