H7 Nightbreaker Unlimited or Laser?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
thought I'd give an update on a set of bulbs I got....

Ring 80w HID Xenon look 4000k H7 Bulbs. In pitch black where a nice much whiter look, very much like the colour of xenons. But in use with any other ambient light you struggled to notice if they were even working. Strangely ends up dimmer than a Std H7 halogen.... !!! worse still left bulb dead within 2 weeks, (got my money back) right bulb now dead within 5 months

It gets more dangerous, at the time I fitted those headlamp bulbs (Christmas), I fitted a set of Ring T10 LEDs I got from Halfords (costing £10), both of these have now flailed so the right (drivers side) had no illumination at all.

Manufacturers are peddling absolute trash these days, my advice is leave the originals alone, they will probably last for another 10 years and a glow worm is better than no worm !!!

It's a strange one how colour temp and atmospherics interact, it really is.

Best advice I can give is to stick with Osram or Phillips' genuine product, of whichever variety you care to choose.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Incidentally 80W bulbs aren't legal either (even 24v systems in HGVs are limited to 75)

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Total minefield chosing bulbs ... lack of specific info, and mfg lies.
Went Osram NB UL 3700K on the A Class dipped. Big improvement in vision and whiter, but the others were very old Osram Siverstar +60%.

The CL is harder to sort
Went Osram Cool Blue Intensive + 20% 4,200K on the Cornering lights to try and get a whiter look to match the HIDs
And blow me the NB ULs look whiter. So its not just the Kelvins but also the Lumens combo that matter.
Very irked as I have now discovered the Philips White Vision +60% are in fact 4,200K and not as advertised 3,700K. They would probably look whiter than the Cool Blue Intensives i.e. Drop 100K but gain 40% .

Sadly the fogs are H11s ... why are they so much more expensive than H7s £40 rather thsn £10 for two. :(

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Because they have right angled bends in them Sub :D

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And are less common so the recovery of manufacturing setup costs are spread over fewer units.

Pshhh nothing to do with it, the tooling and production lines for H11 were paid back, set up
And paid back about twenty times over. They both cost pennies, one just attracts a higher sale price is all.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Philips EV +130's result in a W202 being drivable after dusk, quite an achievement.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Bloke at work had BOTH H7 dip beams fail on his golf....
went to the local motor factors, used a discount card and got 2 brand new std halogen bulbs for £2.40 inc vat

JimM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDi Avantgarde Estate 2002
Hi chaps.

I thought to update you.

As you see in one of my previous posts above, one of the Phillips Xtreme Vision bulbs failed within three months.

I fitted two more in my Prado, +130% and within 6 months both of them have dimmed to less than Halogen.

I am not happy and I will not be buying Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs again.

The Ring Ultima +120% in my S Type are now over 3 years old and still bright, despite having been given a poor review for "inconsistency" which I did not find.

So Rings are my faves.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
And they're in!

Well, the new bulbs arrived first thing this morning and, after waiting for a break in the weather, I found five mins to put them in. For anyone who's never done this on one of these cars, it couldn't be easier. Definitely not a case of needing a main stealer!
Anyway, the result is... wow! I probably should have taken a side by side photograph for comparison, but the impending rain meant I was inclined to hussle along. I now have bright, crisp dips, which are much more in line with what I'd expect of the car. I dare say they even look a bit more modern than the older, yellowed bulbs they've replaced.
Final score: £14 from Amazon.
Thanks chaps for all the advice. As always, it's appreciated.

Best
Bertie.

They are the best, I wouldn't use anything else and also buy them from Amazon

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My NB Ultimates are still going strong, and IMHO the extra cost of the Lasers I have in main beam is not justified - as posted earlier, same light output as the Ultimates, so when the time comes my mains will get changed to Ultimates!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Autoexpress do not comment about bulb life, and from reading posts above I get the impression that NB Ultimates do well on that score - I'm sure the "slightly better options" than NB Ultimates (which interestingly Autoexpress rate better than Lasers, confirming my experience of both types) are mentioned in posts above as not lasting very long.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
I have UL's on dipped and Laser on mains, replacing NB+ on both. The UL's are great, and are on full time as I have no DRL's, not sure about the Lasers as I seldom drive at night on main beam - and when I did last night in fog the offside one was firing high and left even though I'd been very careful (so I thought) getting the metal tab on the bulb between the plastic alignment tabs. Refitted the bulb today, but have yet to test it. Not yet convinced that the lasers are better than the NB+ they replaced, let alone the ULs!

I wouldn’t use full beam in fog for sure. It limits your visibility if anything else. Suppose that’s why fog lights are put down low on the bumper.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom