OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
conington said:
I'm always reading these threads with interest and just, out of curiosity, had a question ...... I've never had a battery "die" on me but wondered, if it did and I bought a replacement would, whilst removing the old one, I lose any settings (engine management, service intervals, radio codes etc. etc.) ?

For most cars the battery is replaced without to many problems, there are two cars in the range where it is better to plug in a back up first. the problems only arrise when a new battery has just come off charge, and the voltage can be over the normal, though this soon goes down to normal, it is this overvoltage or we could say spike that does the damage.

The safe way is to turn on the headlamps for 2-3 mins before turning the Key.
Engine management is not effected. Radio's after 2001 do not need to be coded as they are once only coded once from new.

The only settings lost (sometimes) are windows and roofs where applicable, and ESP where you just turn the steering from lock to lock.

malcolm

GregE240

Reaction score
Well, I've got to stick up for Halfords here.

The battery in my SL died back in April, so went to the local Halfords (Rugby), but they did not have one for the car in stock. Chap asked if I would be prepared to go to a nearby shop if they had one. It was Sunday, so yes, why not? They found one at Nuneaton, so I had a great drive over there, asked for the chap at the desk, and they fitted it FOC. The fitter was very helpful and courteous, and was delighted when I showed him how to clear the ADS warning light (steering lock to lock a la ESP).

Could not fault the service, and they got rid of the old battery for me.

Ten out of ten.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GregE240 said:
Well, I've got to stick up for Halfords here.

The battery in my SL died back in April, so went to the local Halfords (Rugby), but they did not have one for the car in stock. Chap asked if I would be prepared to go to a nearby shop if they had one. It was Sunday, so yes, why not? They found one at Nuneaton, so I had a great drive over there, asked for the chap at the desk, and they fitted it FOC. The fitter was very helpful and courteous, and was delighted when I showed him how to clear the ADS warning light (steering lock to lock a la ESP).

Could not fault the service, and they got rid of the old battery for me.

Ten out of ten.
That's fine, but if the battery fails under guarantee as three of mine did, the fight to get it changed is more the issue here.

malcolm

A

Asjih

television said:
That's fine, but if the battery fails under guarantee as three of mine did, the fight to get it changed is more the issue here.

malcolm

if you worked in a shop and a customer came back and 3 batterys had failed on him in a not very long space of time would'nt you be slightly suspicious?

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Asjih said:
if you worked in a shop and a customer came back and 3 batterys had failed on him in a not very long space of time would'nt you be slightly suspicious?

Of what, 2 failed within 6 weeks and the 3rd in 2 years, nothing wrong with my car, the last one has been on there for some months.
There are means of testing batteries, the one that Halfords use showed the battery to be good, 100 yards down the road in the Exide shop it showed up as faulty, After a 20 mile drive to Halfords,they had to jump start the car so that I could get to the Exide shop, and they still claimed it to be OK.

Malcolm

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom