Hastings Direct

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
The annual task of insurance renewal has begun
My current insurer has sent a automatic renewal statement telling they have reduced the cost of my insurance and if I do nothing they will take £401.60
So I thought I would take a look at a comparison website to see if they are doing me a good deal.
My details were still current from last time so all I altered was my estimated value of the vehicle (I guess £1500).
It beavered away for a few seconds before listing suitable quotes.
Lo and behold one of the better prices was from my current insurer giving exactly the same features of my current policy but for £316.07

Guess who's getting a call tomorrow????

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

I fell out with Hastings many years ago because despite me phoning them to tell them NOT to continuously renew my wife's car insurance, they took the money anyway. When I phoned to inform them of their mistake, the half-wit told me it was my fault for not cancelling the policy when I phoned! :shock: Why would I have cancelled a policy with a fortnight to go? I didn't take her reply well! But the money was swiftly returned to me. :lol::lol:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I used Hastings Direct as they said European cover was included, but just before heading to France I noticed that European cover was only 3rd party. It then cost me £88 to have fully comp cover added for only 14 days travel and I was told that I would need to pay this again every time I went abroad. They were not interested in the slightest that I had been sold a policy that did not cover what I had specifically asked for.

Since found they are near the bottom of every customer satisfaction table published, they taylor their prices to ensure they come out near the top of all the comparison sites. The only way they can do this is by cutting the cover on the policy. So although cheaper than the rest, you will almost certainly have less cover than a slightly more expensive policy and have to put up with a "computer says no" mentallity when you contact them to sort any problem. Hitting your head of a brick wall sums up my experience of their customer service department.

Russ

C250CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 C250CDI sport
My current insurer has sent a automatic renewal statement telling they have reduced the cost of my insurance and if I do nothing they will take £401.60
So I thought I would take a look at a comparison website to see if they are doing me a good deal.
My details were still current from last time so all I altered was my estimated value of the vehicle (I guess £1500).
Lo and behold one of the better prices was from my current insurer giving exactly the same features of my current policy but for £316.07

Hastings Direct are a broker, its not unusual for you to be able to find yourself a cheaper price by requoting online, it maybe that it's coming up under a slightly different policy brand or a different underwriter.

My family are all insured with Hastings and I actually work there so would be happy to try and answer any questions you might have regarding this (not in sales, and from an objective and unofficial standpoint, I just know a little about how it works)

Last edited:

C250CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 C250CDI sport
And RF065 it sounds like what you purchased there was a Hastings Essentials policy, I know this policy is the cheapest sold and doesn't come with things like breakdown and eu cover as standard like the other policies sold.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Was with hastings direct and during my second year was hit by another motorist.. 3 months later and god knows how many premium rate phone calls to them, totally useless along with their accident management company Albany... If i were paid for each time they said they would look into and and ring me back, but never did then i would be a rich man !
the other partys insurers were useless too, giving me the ring you back but never do treatment (Axa)..
Now with sheilas wheels, £100 less and i get free handbag cover !:Oops:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And RF065 it sounds like what you purchased there was a Hastings Essentials policy, I know this policy is the cheapest sold and doesn't come with things like breakdown and eu cover as standard like the other policies sold.

You're probably right, but it was bought from a price comparison site as a policy which covered European travel. It may or may not have been Hastings fault, but to charge £88 to have 14 days European cover added is definately Hastings taking the p*ss.

Add to that the low scores they achieve on all the customer satisfaction surveys, shows they are probably best left alone.

Russ

C250CDI

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 C250CDI sport
Yeah i see what you're saying, i understand everyone has crappy experiences with companies from time to time, i may work for them but im not here to represent them so not gonna try to back anything up. Sorry to hear that didnt work out for you pal :(

Alan180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 2003 1.8
Hi I was also with Hastings at one time and the same come to renewal time it came out nearly double and when checked on line quote came out cheaper when I complained was told it was cheaper on line so as to get the business and also they like to charge for everything they have to do for you if you change car or change reg you get charged and told its for paper work when I always down loaded it anyway that's my gripe for the day thanks

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
I have been insured withe Hastings for the previous 5 years for my motorbike, always been spot on, but that said I have never had to claim!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have been insured withe Hastings for the previous 5 years for my motorbike, always been spot on, but that said I have never had to claim!

Taking your money is the easy bit! Anyone could do that. :D

Russ

OP
S

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
Sorry I had unsubscribed before posting a conclusion.

I phoned them and voiced my concern. The lady I spoke to didn't offer an apology rather than blaming an error in the detail of the policy???
After going over a few particulars and adjusting mileage and value a new premium was offered.
£289
I accepted this and paid the new premium.

I do wish I didn't have to do this each year.

epervier

Active Senior Members
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 coupe 1996 Sl500 1998
Was with hastings direct and during my second year was hit by another motorist.. 3 months later and god knows how many premium rate phone calls to them, totally useless along with their accident management company Albany... If i were paid for each time they said they would look into and and ring me back, but never did then i would be a rich man !
the other partys insurers were useless too, giving me the ring you back but never do treatment (Axa)..
Now with sheilas wheels, £100 less and i get free handbag cover !:Oops:

I nearly choked on my coffee,:lol::lol:

Always handy to know that you can get handbag cover:)

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
After going over a few particulars and adjusting mileage and value a new premium was offered.
£289
I accepted this and paid the new premium.

Read the policy documents carefully, I've had premiums reduced like this in the past, but what they do not tell you on the phone is that the voluntary excess has been increased or glass cover has been taken off, or anything else that reduces their risk

Russ

dobermann

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI/2013/2.1
Used LV for a number of years on both our cars (5% discount second vehicle & Guaranteed No Claims Protection Option) and the renewal did not go up the following year from original internet quote .M&S is also worth a try as UK/European Breakdown and Insurance is free with the m&s premium policy. JK

Last edited:

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport

Had the same issue with Direct line a few years ago but it was over £200 cheaper that the renewal

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Top ten insurers, Hastings were 37th out of 40.

2013 rank Insurance firm Score (%)
1 NFU Mutual 89.09%
2 LV= Frizzell 88.27%
3 Adelaide IAM Surety 87.94%
4 Royal & Sun Alliance 85.01%
5 SAGA 83.03%
6 LV= Liverpool Victoria 82.95%
7 John Lewis 82.57%
8 RIAS 81.15%
9 Groupama 80.45%
10 Cooperative Insurance Service 80.18%

Russ

Merc-Man24

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 Mercedes E280 CDI G7 ,Iridium Silver
Just steer well clear of Admiral, they take your money and say your at fault if somebody hits you while stationary. Pay the little extra for customer care who actually give a toss and mostly importantly stay away from Admiral the crooks.

Top Bottom