Head gasket? E350 CDI C207

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I keep looking at the picture you posted and it just doesn’t add up… never seem a similar picture in all the oil cooler threads I have read through and especially going bang all of a sudden and spraying oil everywhere.
How can the oil come out from under the oil cooler and spread upwards like that ?.
Not a diesel leak ?.
VG points.
Call me a cynic but the visit to buy the car and then this and a silly offer does make me think of a scam a perhaps the potential buyer splashed something over, popped a hose etc.

Really needs cleaning up and looking at.

Lots of low lifes about and you need your wits about you.

infact looked at the pic again. no normal oil leak spreads like that.

the oil cooler seal leak is low low down. The only source of oil that high up the OM642 is the shitty manifold - turbo seal and its accompany PCV seal.

Last edited:
OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

Reaction score
E.Midlands, Belfast & Comunidad Valenciana
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010
Oil cooler replacement is very costly in man hours probably at least 11 hours duration for those that don’t do it every day - my advice is buy a new oil cooler they cost circa £150 but it will save you having to do the job again if it turns out to be warped or leaking
I'll do this for the cost of what it is and piece of mind.

I take it all the gaskets and seals, and the cooler should just be picked up from Mercedes rather than other sites?

Blown oring??
Regarding the amount of oil, I guess it depends on the pressure and the space available from where it can blow out. Could potentially jet out of there with enough heat and px.

I will ring MercServe Nottingham tomorrow - they're the Indie that have been servicing the car the last two years.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll do this for the cost of what it is and piece of mind.

I take it all the gaskets and seals, and the cooler should just be picked up from Mercedes rather than other sites?

Regarding the amount of oil, I guess it depends on the pressure and the space available from where it can blow out. Could potentially jet out of there with enough heat and px.

I will ring MercServe Nottingham tomorrow - they're the Indie that have been servicing the car the last two years.
Roger and Nate seldom work fridays

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
I keep looking at the picture you posted and it just doesn’t add up… never seem a similar picture in all the oil cooler threads I have read through and especially going bang all of a sudden and spraying oil everywhere.
How can the oil come out from under the oil cooler and spread upwards like that ?.
Not a diesel leak ?.

Im looking at it and seeing an exploded PCv valve assembly. ?? Or the orange pipe has popped off .

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
VG points.
Call me a cynic but the visit to buy the car and then this and a silly offer does make me think of a scam a perhaps the potential buyer splashed something over, popped a hose etc.

Really needs cleaning up and looking at.

Lots of low lifes about and you need your wits about you.

infact looked at the pic again. no normal oil leak spreads like that.

the oil cooler seal leak is low low down. The only source of oil that high up the OM642 is the shitty manifold - turbo seal and its accompany PCV seal.
Certainly needs more investigation the engine under-tray should tell all if it’s the oil cooler seals blown

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Im looking at it and seeing an exploded PCv valve assembly. ?? Or the orange pipe has popped off .
Yes as I mentioned earlier thats the only oil source that hight up - those seals are a weak point on the 642 and should be a service item. Easily had off ebay - not available from dealers (the pcv seal).

OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010
Yes as I mentioned earlier thats the only oil source that hight up - those seals are a weak point on the 642 and should be a service item. Easily had off ebay - not available from dealers (the pcv seal).
Would this account for oil in the coolant as well?

Just had a quick check on ebay but couldn't find pcv seal

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would this account for oil in the coolant as well?

Just had a quick check on ebay but couldn't find pcv seal

Are you saying there's oil in the header tank / expansion bottle ?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes. There's oil in the coolant reservoir

Strange one that tbh. But I'd still look for something obvious up top . Picture shows updated PCv ,new orange end now comes with clip attached,so it can't be sucked into the turbo. Another thing to consider is the turbo charger oil feed pipe . Screenshot_20230629-213631-877.png

Last edited:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The heads are low down. Now way a blown HG. I bet my wife in that.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Were you with whoever test drove it? There are well know scams where potential buyers fake the problem by putting oil into the header tank in the hope of getting a greatly reduced price - although your problem looks much more serious to my untrained eye.
This^. Seen it several times, a known scam. There is no way oil could get on top of the air mass tube like that. Take the header tank off and clean out with degreaser. Another scam is they swop your spare key with and come back for your car later.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looking at the top of the fuel filter I'd say the turbo seal or similar has been leaking for some time. ?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Strange one that tbh. But I'd still look for something obvious up top . Picture shows updated PCv ,new orange end now comes with clip attached,so it can't be sucked into the turbo. Another thing to consider is the turbo charger oil feed pipe . View attachment 84845
the updated seal depends on vin - not on all cars

OP
Cirrus

Cirrus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010
Looking at the top of the fuel filter I'd say the turbo seal or similar has been leaking for some time. ?
It was just dirty before, the oil in it seems to have mixed with the crud to make it look like it's old, condensed oil... I think.

Nathan and Roger at MercServe had it in for a checkup 3 weeks ago because I hadn't used it for a while so I took it for a health check. The only thing they mentioned was a very minor leak from the oil cooler but not an imminent problem, just one to sort next.

This^. Seen it several times, a known scam. There is no way oil could get on top of the air mass tube like that. Take the header tank off and clean out with degreaser. Another scam is they swop your spare key with and come back for your car later.
Ugh it does stink of foul play but my old man is adament they lifted the bonnet together.... However, I'm sure a dedicated scammer could get past an 80 year old, horrible as it is. Too convenient he happened to have a spare engine... surely. It's locked away in the garage now either way.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom