Head gasket on R129 SL300

Setanta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140
Hi

Just picked up a SL300 R129 and had checked under the oil filer cap for mayo and saw none and the dipstick seemed normal 'oil' colour.

However, have noticed oil in the coolant tank on the drivers side of the car - not that much but looks a bit like the balsamic vinegar/oil combo.

My two questions are (and grateful for advice) since I presume this is the headgasket issue that seems to affect the inline sixes (bit of oil leak around the front of the motor):

1) Am I better not to drive this at all until I can book it in to be fixed
2) Assuming it is the headgasket, what should I be looking at? Phone quotes have been about £200 for parts and 10 hours labour for a total of between £650 and £850

Just very keen to not get ripped off on this.

Many thanks

James (London)

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
I would not drive the vehicle while this problem exists due to the fact that oil in the coolant fluid is defiantly sign of a blown head gasket and the problem can only get worse from this point on.

I checked in my service program and on your vehicle just the removal and replacement of the head is slated as a 6.5 hour job. You also have to consider the inspection of the head after it's removal and more than likely this will reveal that the head is warped and will need to be plained (resurfaced). Something had too cause the gasket to blow and this too takes time. So looking at it as a hole, 10 hours can be a reasonable time frame for this operation.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

OP
S

Setanta

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W140
Thanks...I feel sick!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is the same engine as fitted to the 124 with all of the known head gasket problems.
The head can be put on a flat bed and clocked to see if it is warped as this is not always the case.
A few years back it was something that we did ourselves in a few hours and was common place.
There are some sealants on the market that do work for a fair time but not for ever in some cases.

If you do try a sealant you must change the oil anyway.

Malcolm

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom