Hello, John - got a new motor

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock

Sorry I couldn't resist it. :geek:
Big fan of Alexei Sayle!

I'm a retired Head of English so note the deliberate lack of a question mark in my title: It's "Hello, John - (I'VE) got a new motor", not Alexei's "Hello, John - (HAVE YOU) got a new motor?"

Yes, I AM that anal... :-(

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Yeah used values are absurdly high at the moment so it is definitely the right time to sell if thinking about it.
I am curious if there was a difference between what WBAC originally offered then then what they actually gave you excluding their standard fees?
I always like to check WBAC offers now and again, and they are currently offering me only £1400 less than what I paid for my car brand new 14 months ago...which is absolutely amazing! o_O
Yeah, the fees have to be deducted from that but I quoted that price as that's the figure they finally valued the car at. My online quotation was actually 12.3 so they somehow managed to knock off £700+ for a couple of bodywork touch-ups that wouldn't have cost more than £300. Normally, I would have had a tantrum but I was actually delighted with the final offer...

It's bonkers - Autotrader reckoned it was worth 11.3 as a PRIVATE sale and 10.6 as a trade-in. I was fully expecting WBAC to offer me abut £9K - my jaw hit the floor when the quotation came back. I couldn't NOT do it at that price...

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Yeah, the fees have to be deducted from that but I quoted that price as that's the figure they finally valued the car at. My online quotation was actually 12.3 so they somehow managed to knock off £700+ for a couple of bodywork touch-ups that wouldn't have cost more than £300. Normally, I would have had a tantrum but I was actually delighted with the final offer...

It's bonkers - Autotrader reckoned it was worth 11.3 as a PRIVATE sale and 10.6 as a trade-in. I was fully expecting WBAC to offer me abut £9K - my jaw hit the floor when the quotation came back. I couldn't NOT do it at that price...
It certainly is bonkers at the moment, and as you say you would have been mad not to bite their hand off.
I asked because WBAC are notorious for knocking money off their online quote when you take the car to them...so even though I am not thinking of selling I am very tempted to go and see what happens. :D
My car is only 14 months old at 4400 miles and is absolutely mint condition inside and out. I am OCD about my cars and when I say mint that's eactly what it is, so I know there is nothing they could reasonably find to knock money off.

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It certainly is bonkers at the moment, and as you say you would have been mad not to bite their hand off.
I asked because WBAC are notorious for knocking money off their online quote when you take the car to them...so even though I am not thinking of selling I am very tempted to go and see what happens. :D
My car is only 14 months old at 4400 miles and is absolutely mint condition inside and out. I am OCD about my cars and when I say mint that's eactly what it is, so I know there is nothing they could reasonably find to knock money off.
They'll find SOMETHING, Ron - stone chip on the bonnet? Slightly grazed alloy? They all go into their laptop...

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They'll find SOMETHING, Ron - stone chip on the bonnet? Slightly grazed alloy?
None, and none.
This is why I would be very curious to go and put them to the test. ;)

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I THINK I once heard that they actually gave someone MORE than the online quotation. I might have dreamed that, though...

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Cant believe WBAC are now offering me £18500 for my Brilliant Blue 2015 S205 C220d Premium Plus Estate (Tinted Glass and Airmatic).....a year ago it was £15995...Its done 26282 miles FBMSH and is in mint condition....too good to sell even at that price as can't find anything else that excites me....had it from new

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There's something funny going on. They seem to be offering top dollar for quality cars which they send to Cinch. Cars are over-priced on Cinch.

At the lower end of the market, they give you nothing - I've just run a valuation on my wife's 2012 Fiat Panda; they've offered a risible £875 for a car which is worth £1750...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome.

There's a global shortage of semiconductors at present which is having a knock on effect on the availability of new cars. As a result used ones are rocketing in value - particularly late model premium brands.

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good morning and welcome Noddy bet you cant wait for delivery day fela, you made an excellent choice, they stopped production of the w211`s in 2009 and 2008/9 were the best of what is already a flippin good vehicle, one of the best series that merc ever made, 200bhp give or take, OM642 easily and safely mapped to 230ish, 7Gtronic super smooth bulletproof box and brakes that defy physics, ridiculously over engineered and using genuine parts/fluids and a squirt of two stroke in each fillup you have a half million mile mota, you have all the names, Harmen Kardon, Brembo, Borbet, Bosch, the list is endless, I buy and sell German and jump from one thing to another but always keep a 320 2009 back as my fall back,(never dissapointed to get in it) you will love it,, you may need to change your name though after dumping the insignia Noddy car Oh and get rid of that ****** hat, the bell is triggering me. regards Steve
Hi, can you tell me more about this "squirt of two stroke"? I've never heard of that before...

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
Hi, can you tell me more about this "squirt of two stroke"? I've never heard of that before...
The OM642 was designed when I was on the design team at Bosch and the fuel was pretty important to lubrication of the triple head fuel pressure pump for the common rail system, the USA changed diesel content in 2006 leading to many Jeeps with the same engine blowing up pumps, it usually starts with a leak and under working conditions could empty a tank in 30-60 seconds, yes 30-60 seconds cutting anything directly in front of the leak, the CP3 high pressure pump operates at 2000 bar which, in real money, is 29,000 PSI :eek: so uncontained the danger is obvious, we in the UK changed our diesel to contain less lubricant some time later but a non specific size squirt of two stroke oil in a fill up solves any possible issues and protects the pump which was designed in the beginning to complete 1,000,000 miles without issue, you will actually feel the added smoothness when running if you are "in tune" with your car because the burn is slightly hotter too.

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi and welcome.

There's a global shortage of semiconductors at present which is having a knock on effect on the availability of new cars. As a result used ones are rocketing in value - particularly late model premium brands.
Borris has also added a very hefty new car tax for those who can afford to buy new so with depreciating residuals second hand is becoming more attractive, I have a q7 that has gained £2.5k since spring 2020 20210815_202405.jpg

OP
Noddy 99

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The OM642 was designed when I was on the design team at Bosch and the fuel was pretty important to lubrication of the triple head fuel pressure pump for the common rail system, the USA changed diesel content in 2006 leading to many Jeeps with the same engine blowing up pumps, it usually starts with a leak and under working conditions could empty a tank in 30-60 seconds, yes 30-60 seconds cutting anything directly in front of the leak, the CP3 high pressure pump operates at 2000 bar which, in real money, is 29,000 PSI :eek: so uncontained the danger is obvious, we in the UK changed our diesel to contain less lubricant some time later but a non specific size squirt of two stroke oil in a fill up solves any possible issues and protects the pump which was designed in the beginning to complete 1,000,000 miles without issue, you will actually feel the added smoothness when running if you are "in tune" with your car because the burn is slightly hotter too.
That's fascinating; thanks for that. I've since googled it and quite a few people seem to think it can clog and damage your injectors. Any thoughts?

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Borris has also added a very hefty new car tax for those who can afford to buy new so with depreciating residuals second hand is becoming more attractive
I was going to ask if this is the one introduced in April 2017 which continues to affect vehicles up till the day before their sixth anniversary from first registration, but then I reasised Boris never took office until July 2019....so is it the London congestion charge you are referring to?

Love the photo by the way. :cool:

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was going to ask if this is the one introduced in April 2017 which continues to affect vehicles up till the day before their sixth anniversary from first registration, but then I reasised Boris never took office until July 2019....so is it the London congestion charge you are referring to?

Love the photo by the way. :cool:
Of course, it was long before Boris, sorry about that, dont buy new so bit out of touch there. I made the bag so when the Mrs is boring me but I am supposed to look surprised, like I am listening, I just slip it on and go to my happy place

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom