1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Boot locked and battery disconnected jump start under the bonnet doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by TomP83, Sep 13, 2017.

1. TomP83

TomP83 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK/2000/200
    Hello,

I have an old 2000 clk and have a big problem.

I disconnected the battery and shut the boot. The boot locked itself and now I can't get in it to fit the new battery.

I have been in a situation before where the battery had gone flat with the boot shut and I used the jump start under the bonnet to power up the boot open switch with a battery charger. From what I have read this can be done with the battery disconnected however I have tried and nothing, it doesn't seem to put any power in at all. I have checked fuses and they seem ok.

I really don't know what to do?.. any help would be much appreciated!

2. OP
    TomP83

TomP83 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK/2000/200
    Sorry - I should also add I don't have the mechanical key.

Thanks

3. flowrider99

flowrider99 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350 (W166) .............. SL500 (R230) ................
    open the boot with the key.

S5000L likes this.
  4. flowrider99

flowrider99 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350 (W166) .............. SL500 (R230) ................
    Bummer.

5. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Instead of using a battery charger (which may not give any output if the charger doesn't detect a minimal voltage present) try using a connection from the new battery.

6. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    What kind of 'key' do you have then? Bear in mind the mechanical blade lives in the side of a Merc key/fob

7. Droverunner

Droverunner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 CLK 220 CDI Sport AMG pack.
    Did this recently with my old BMW 5-series but luckily it's an estate so I could release the back seats and crawl through to reconnect the battery.

I too am not surprised a charger won't do it... so would also say use the battery connected to the underbonnet terminals.

8. Arzaam

Arzaam Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 2002 c180
    yep as above you'll need to try a jumper pack or a battery. if for some reason that still doesn't work and you cant figure it out then there are some jump starters that provide power through the power outlet in the interior maybe that'll be enough to open the boot and also I saw one guy once failing all that undo the connections to the license plate bulbs and apply 12V momentarily to that which was enough to open the boot and same can be done with the start motor live wire, again these are very far fetched methods, with a battery across the jump terminals you should be fine. most chargers if they don't detect the battery won't even start charging or providing any power maybe thats why that didn't work.

9. OP
    TomP83

TomP83 New Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLK/2000/200
    Thanks so much to all the response! I lost the mechanical key a while back - a long story but I hooked the new battery up with some leads and it worked! Must have just not liked the battery charger. Thanks once again problem solved.

daibevan and Arzaam like this.