Help please. Modernising my 300e 4matic

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Hi guys
My dad passed away at 72 and he had an Airmatic S Class and a 300E 4matic in Zimbabwe, Southern Africa

The 300e 4matic has been parked nearly 29 years and the engine starts perfectly every time. I live in the UK so sourcing parts like wheels/alloys, paint etc will be easier than if I lived in Zimbabwe full time

I would like to modernise it with the help of you guys. I want to update it cosmetically. Nothing garish or too out there.

I'm mostly looking for a paint scheme that changes its look without necessarily adding a body kit

This is the actual car. Apart from dent on bonnet (hood for our American friends) the body is in good nick.

Thanks in advance

IMG_20221201_175906.jpg

Last edited:
OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
I'm interested in something like this car. I wouldn't mind the exact paint and wheels

Does anyone know the name of the paint and wheels

Or something like the WALD body kit

Or this like imitation 500e kit

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I don’t know what that colour is but it certainly suits the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Some of the "silvers" are actually a grey colour.
I would be tempted to go for a rich (i.e. dark) metallic, either grey, blue or burgandy (red).
I've always liked the AMG monoblock style wheels, although they look like they may have split rims.

Your dad's car looks like it may have been classic or elegance trim. The avantgarde trim was better (in my opinion) certainly the grill would look better, plus with a dark body colour it tended to have chrome strips which would look nice.

If I recall it a two tone body was also popular at that time - dark below the trim line. Black below and bronze above may look good.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Looks like 744.
V nice car you have. I would be tempted to get a polisher on it, a good polish, then wax; you may change your mind about a respray.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
It’s a beautiful colour as is, just looking sorry for itself! I would pull the dent out and detail it. Best to get it mechanically tip top before paint anyway.

Does the ac work & can you get R12 there still? If not a parralel flow condenser might be a good upgrade for the temps out there.

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
I would be tempted to go for a rich (i.e. dark) metallic, either grey, blue or burgandy (red).
I've always liked the AMG monoblock style wheels, although they look like they may have split rims.

Your dad's car looks like it may have been classic or elegance trim. The avantgarde trim was better (in my opinion) certainly the grill would look better, plus with a dark body colour it tended to have chrome strips which would look nice.

If I recall it a two tone body was also popular at that time - dark below the trim line. Black below and bronze above may look good.
Thanks. Is it possible to retrofit the avant-garde grill to the elegance model please

Thanks

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
It’s a beautiful colour as is, just looking sorry for itself! I would pull the dent out and detail it. Best to get it mechanically tip top before paint anyway.

Does the ac work & can you get R12 there still? If not a parralel flow condenser might be a good upgrade for the temps out there.
What's the R12 sir? Thanks

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Looks like 744.
V nice car you have. I would be tempted to get a polisher on it, a good polish, then wax; you may change your mind about a respray.
Thank you sir. So you reckon just get it polished and detailed. The exhaust is very old school though

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you sir. So you reckon just get it polished and detailed. The exhaust is very old school though
Yea pilish and wax it. A nice DIY job on a good day. It will come up mint. I do my cars every year and am always gobsmacked at the difference.

As for the exhaust. That doesn't look original as W124 exhausts were not so obtrusive to the eye like any merc exhaust.

OP
D

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
Yea pilish and wax it. A nice DIY job on a good day. It will come up mint. I do my cars every year and am always gobsmacked at the difference.

As for the exhaust. That doesn't look original as W124 exhausts were not so obtrusive to the eye like any merc exhaust.
Thanks
I'll look into replacement of the exhaust with an original sir

I'm thinking of facelift sideskirts

5w155t0ny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350

Did the w124 series have Classic and Elegance trim?
I seem to remember standard ( to be optioned up with leather etc.) and Sportline .
I thought the Classic, Elegance, Avantgarde trims came in with the C Class and w210? Could be wrong, I am getting old.

Last edited:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was just standard where you pimped with options IIRC. The classic, elegance and avantgarde came with the W210

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom