Here at last!

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Good call Rhoda, I didn't like to saying anything after seeing the video link he posted on the listing :alien:

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Rhoda

I am so sorry to hear this.

You were right to walk away.

NJSS
Thank you NJS5, I could just imagine hearing the policeman say 'and you still went ahead and parted with £6,300 with all those tell-tale signs?'. There will be another that ticks all the boxes I am sure. This one has cost me a lot of money but not as much as it could have! That is Evilbay and the age of the scammer for you unfortunately.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Good call Rhoda, I didn't like to saying anything after seeing the video link he posted on the listing :alien:
Thank you 00slk, it may be all on the level, the service book may be at KwikFit and he may have just been being kind washing the car before I bought it rather that changing the number plates, maybe his name really was Shona and his dad wanted a girl - I will never know unless I watch Crimewatch! I was car-jacked at knife point while demonstrating a car I was selling about 35 years ago and memories of that came flooding back while the guy was whizzing around London streets looking for one where we could park up while my friends struggled to keep up. I think that put me on edge even more. I now have to cancel the insurance but I do have the 14 day cooling off period of course. I have seen a very nice car now so have a good benchmark although it cost a lot to find one! If id doubt, leave it out as they say.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Shame that Rhoda, but part of the joys(?) of the car buying experience. At least you have now had a good look at an SL. From experience of buying cars over decades, I don't rush into buying. Anything remotely off putting and I don't proceed, because I've learnt that no matter how rare or desirable a car is, there will always be another along. At least you know that there are always plenty of SL's around to choose from. Incidentally if you like blue, try finding a Jasper Blue one. That colour really pops on an SL.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Thank you Peter. I am not sure I have seen the Jasper blue, I also like the Aegean Blue which most people think of as green.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Sorry it didn’t work out for you Rhoda

You did the right thing walking away due diligence is the ONLY way with these cars everything needs to work (unless stated) they are complicated machines and you need to feel comfortable with the purchase. A dealer with a good reputation might be a better way to go as they generally will only sell good examples with history, might cost a bit more but with no nasty after shocks to deal with.

Good luck with the hunt - there will be plenty of others to look at spring is the selling season for these cars

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Thank you Peter. I am not sure I have seen the Jasper blue, I also like the Aegean Blue which most people think of as green.

Jasper Blue my favourite r230 colour ;)

DSC08898%20Small_zpsmr08oimd.JPG

And for comparison on two different blues, the 500 in the background is Metallic Green/Black which changes colour in different light making it look blue, green or black.
DSC04317 (Medium).JPG
Ignore the Black 55.

Last edited:
OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Yes I have seen the Jasper blue 00slk and I would certainly consider one as I would the Aegean blue but I think Tanzanite is my favourite. It will be like London buses, nothing for ages then three come at once I am sure!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There's a very nice low mileage blue one on Autotrader but it's over your budget. It's at a dealer so you might be able to negotiate a bit?

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
There's a very nice low mileage blue one on Autotrader but it's over your budget. It's at a dealer so you might be able to negotiate a bit?
Thanks Lostkiwi, I have looked at all of them on Autotrader under £10k and none tick all my boxes, there is one Aegean blue on with a dealer but he has never responded to my e-mails. I can wait! Thank you for having a look for me though. :)

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Sorry it didn’t work out for you Rhoda

You did the right thing walking away due diligence is the ONLY way with these cars everything needs to work (unless stated) they are complicated machines and you need to feel comfortable with the purchase. A dealer with a good reputation might be a better way to go as they generally will only sell good examples with history, might cost a bit more but with no nasty after shocks to deal with.

Good luck with the hunt - there will be plenty of others to look at spring is the selling season for these cars
Thank you Malcolm, it was the seller who worried me not the car! It had very clearly been looked after but you need service records to prove it. There are others that will come up for sure.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
There will certainly be others, sorry that one did not work out.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Maybe everything worked out for the best even though it cost me £150 not to buy the car and I think it was a nice one despite the 108k on the clock.

When I was a kid I had a Dinky toy of a red 230SL with a pagoda roof, wish I could afford one of those but I would have to sell the house! Latterly, I fell for the R129 in red with a cream interior but they seem a little dated now and are still a lot of money. I was lucky enough to find a Fire Opal Red R230 with cream leather with just 66k on the clock. I had to travel almost 200 miles to get it but it is now sat happily on my driveway waiting for my attention! I drove beautifully all the way home. Such a different car from the Porsche Boxter, I still have my fillings despite coming round the concrete sections of the M25! All seems good, far too many toys to work out what is what yet. Only one car park blemish as I can find and one slight lose roof flap to address but it is 18 years old so it won't be perfect... yet!

Attachments

• P1070614.JPG
    P1070614.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 28

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Great news and lovely looking car!
Is it a 350?

Only thing to watch for is micro blistering of the paint. Fire Opal Red has a known history of it. The good news is that MB have resprayed many cars where it's been an issue under warranty. Hopefully at 18 years it's either been done or isn't an issue.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Great news and lovely looking car!
Is it a 350?

Only thing to watch for is micro blistering of the paint. Fire Opal Red has a known history of it. The good news is that MB have resprayed many cars where it's been an issue under warranty. Hopefully at 18 years it's either been done or isn't an issue.
Thanks Lostkiwi,

Yes it is a 350. Oddly, the private plate that was on it was KIW1233 - that would be a nice one to have! No micro blisters as I have found.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Maybe everything worked out for the best even though it cost me £150 not to buy the car and I think it was a nice one despite the 108k on the clock.

When I was a kid I had a Dinky toy of a red 230SL with a pagoda roof, wish I could afford one of those but I would have to sell the house! Latterly, I fell for the R129 in red with a cream interior but they seem a little dated now and are still a lot of money. I was lucky enough to find a Fire Opal Red R230 with cream leather with just 66k on the clock. I had to travel almost 200 miles to get it but it is now sat happily on my driveway waiting for my attention! I drove beautifully all the way home. Such a different car from the Porsche Boxter, I still have my fillings despite coming round the concrete sections of the M25! All seems good, far too many toys to work out what is what yet. Only one car park blemish as I can find and one slight lose roof flap to address but it is 18 years old so it won't be perfect... yet!
Looks great Rhoda! Unusual colour for an R230. Are you sure that is Fire Opal Red? Could be the photo, but it looks a lot darker and metallic than FOR.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Looks great Rhoda! Unusual colour for an R230. Are you sure that is Fire Opal Red? Could be the photo, but it looks a lot darker and metallic than FOR.
I was told it is FOR but I haven't checked the paint code yet. It is metallic for certain.

Marty Y

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 komp convertible w208

Congratulations, looks great! I really like the colour.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Congratulations, well worth the wait by the looks of things - I think the colour is ‘Firemist Red Effect’ looking at the MB 2005 colour chart

Last edited:

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom