Hey People | From Dublin

albaluch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Elegance
Hi there, My name is Samir and I am currently living and working in Dublin. ROI. I currently drive a 1998 Altezza.

I have always had a sweet spot for the CLK 230K and I am supposed to go view one in the evening LINK, if all goes well; I will be swapping the Tezza for the 1998 CLK 230 Elegance Cabriolet.

Since you guys are the veterans, I need some advice on what to look for in this car ? What are the common problems ? Does it cost alot to maintain and service etc ? Any advice will be greatly appretiated.

Thanks

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Hi, I would be worried about those chrome arch liners. Thats a common rust area so may be a cover up and not a "enhancement" The head lamps look a bit yellowed, so will need to be cleaned up as they will reduce your night illumination. Check all electrics work.

Some common issues are, temp and gear/clock displays in the dash lose pixels. not too hard to do a diy fix for 25eu. A touch of rust as I mentioned above. Check at the front end of the engine block, under the cover. There is a cam magnet device there and its been known to leak oil, that then travels back to the engine ecu and contaminates the connections. There should be a blocker device fitted. a small 3 inch extension piece between the loom and the sensor. Check when the atf was last changed, if ever as this will need to be done

Last edited:
OP
A

albaluch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Elegance
Hi, I would be worried about those chrome arch liners. Thats a common rust area so may be a cover up and not a "enhancement"

Thanks Miffy - Should I check under the arches and see if there is rust there ? Anything else I should be looking for ?

OP
A

albaluch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Elegance
Thanks @Miffy - I really appreciate your advice. I will make sure to look out for those issues and ill update the post tomorrow.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom