How accurate is your dash computer?

How accurate is your fuel computer?

• Total voters

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Just bought a New (to me) CLK.

Got a few things that need sorting on it - which I'll post in the relevant sections.

Photos to follow once I have sorted a few minor cosmetics on it (missing wheel badges etc).

HOWEVER - I have now just used up the first tank of fuel bringing it home and a bit of running around. The fuel consumption on the dash showed the car had done 44.7 mpg from reset until I topped up.

However working it out, I did 456.7 miles and put in exactly 55 litres of fuel. I brimmed the tank absolutely to the lip at the start and end.

Now I realise that on one tankful you can't tell too much - however working it out, that makes it just 37.7mpg.

I'd expect 1 or 2mpg difference - but nearly 20% over-estimate from the dash??? That seems excessive to me.

I'll keep an eye on it - but just wondered, how accurate are the merc computers for telling you the MPG and other stats?

Done a poll to see how accurate yours is - please only complete if you actually measure your MPG accurately.

Thanks

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
ive found that with my c class, i can fill it to the brim, but it sometimes will drop back so im not convinced the brim to brim method works if taken literally.

due to unemployment, i have no choice to run my car near empty all the time. i put between £20 and £30 of diesel in per fortnight and travel between 130 and 200 miles approx per fortnight (depending on what i need to use the car for) which makes its lifetime average since ive had the car of 47.something mpg (cant remember the exact figure) as near correct as makes a difference to me. diesel here is 135.9ppl at the moment, which equates to me using around 3-4.5 gallons per fortnight, depending on the runs i need to do.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
On both my C classes the cars computer has been amazingly accurate..
I would say the pre face lift was slightly more accurate but i am nit picking now..

OP
M

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Mine is consistently lying....

I am always being told it's hovering around 44 - 44.3 however I am averaging 37 ish (37.3 - 37.5) no-where near 40!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Can you be sure it has not been remapped?

Mine consistantly gets 1 or 2 MPG more than the dash display states.

Russ

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
On several cars (C 220 CDI, S 320 CDI, R Class 320 CDI) the trip computer has been correct to <0.5 mpg.

I keep records of all the fuel I put in, over tens of thousands of miles, so I am confident of the data.

I see the OBC has a clue to current performance rather than an absolute answer. As you say, you will know better once you have done a couple of thousand miles.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom