How LONG is LONG ?

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
'http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1056633/Motorists-face-20-fine-leaving-car-engine-running-stuck-traffic-jam.html'

Will this war on the driver never end ?
How long is long when you are stationary ?
How are you supposed to know when you are going to be queueing for longer than allowed ?:eek:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Pretty sure they have something similar in Switzerland.

Yes and also in Scandinavia where you have up to 60 secs depending on where you live

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
So the traffic is moving slowly but as you come to a standstill, you have just one minute before you have to switch off your engine. Insane. Now we will have the nazis we live under standing around our roads with stop watches

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
So the traffic is moving slowly but as you come to a standstill, you have just one minute before you have to switch off your engine. Insane. Now we will have the nazis we live under standing around our roads with stop watches

The VAG Group (Audi, IIRC) had a product in the 1970s in which the engine cut out when the vehicle was stationary and restarted when the throttle was pressed. Similar propositions are being reintroduced at present.

The problem in the 1970s was that the starter motor design life was inadequate to support the activitiy, and starter motors were failing in big numbers and quite quickly. The idea was discontinued.

I assume that this has been addressed for current generation vehicles.

My reservation about the introduction of such a rule, without vehicles having been designed for it, is twofold. Firstly, starter motors may well fail, and batteries, not uprated to cope, might fail too. Good for the aftermarket - bad for the environment.

Secondly, as a mere motorist who has spent too long following the car in front, when a traffic light changes from red to red and amber to green, this comes as a complete surprise to the driver in the car in front of me in the queue - every time! They then have to go through the sequence - engage brain, engage gear, release handbrake, proceed (but only after the light has turned to green + their "reaction time"). And that is all in order to react to an entirely predictable sequence. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you see it in these terms, you will understand why only 3 vehicles get through each light sequence at many road junctions in the UK (the Dutch have much longer on green, which means you wait a bit, but everyone gets through in one burst!).

Let us now add the complication of the numpty in front having to start their engine (even if it will).

I rest my case!!

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
All very relevant points and at the same time standing there is a council vulture desperate to give you a £20 ticket and justify their job

karlk

Reaction score
i do it all the time, soon as i come to a standstill and you can tell if its gonna be for a while, engine off, handbrake on and just wait. same at lights, if i stop just as they turned red, engine off. I been doing it for years, just cant stand listening to an engine running when its going nowhere.

OP
T

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
How long does your starter motor last ?. In the same vein, how much life will be taken off a diesels glow plugs ?

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
My opinion on shutting down whilst waiting, of course you should anything else will waste fuel and cost you money, the how long question is extremly difficult given that it will make for more wear and tear, striking a cost/benifit balance is going to be very difficult but I'm sure that some total incompetant will have a guess and that will be the official figure.

It is inevitable that some of the untrustworthy goons in mr broons newbanit party will want to legislate on this matter since somebody has to be taken off benifits every few minutes or england will go bust. Inventing yet another infantry division for his turkey army would perhaps satisfy a whole weeks worth of benifit claimants reduction and pay for itself in years or perhaps decades. Just like that nice mr hitler did they will no doubt tell us its for the good of the children.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom