How long is too long to shut down, and very bad news for the Mobilo customer ref RAC takeover.

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
SUB,

Let me be clear in my mind.

1. You suspect you either have a duff battery or some battery drain, yes?

2. You drove to your favourites restaurant, then home. How far/long was the drive as you mention 6 miles?

3. You stop on the way home, was this part of the six miles?

If you have a weak battery, drain or evan a failing charging system short drives with stop start is not going to help it at all.

I'd be interested to understand how long you actually drove for in your leisurely restaurant stop.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
SUB,

Let me be clear in my mind.

1. You suspect you either have a duff battery or some battery drain, yes?

2. You drove to your favourites restaurant, then home. How far/long was the drive as you mention 6 miles?

3. You stop on the way home, was this part of the six miles?

If you have a weak battery, drain or evan a failing charging system short drives with stop start is not going to help it at all.

I'd be interested to understand how long you actually drove for in your leisurely restaurant stop.

1. Yes, I do suspect its an intermittently duff battery. ( just like the first new battery was)
When mobilo left yesterday, all fault codes were cleared, re run no faults, or messages, because by then the alternator had boosted her, and they suspected the low voltage was because it took 6 mins to shut down, and this was what was causing the battery to get too weak to run the car.

My logic :-

A) 6 mins is 1/10 of an hour. So a 0.5A drain for 6 mins is only 50mA H .... so not enough to kill a 92AH battery. Note its then at 0.00A drain!
B) after he went I realised I had changed the Wing mirrors to stay out. Swapped that back and it shut down in 1min 30 secs.
Imo that disproves their theory.

2. After charging it for 10 hours ... it was fully charged 13.1V and no fault codes or messages, so I went for a 3 mile drive. All was well message wise. So decided to use her to get to the restraunt 6 miles each way.
Sorry but imo a £96K car should be able to do that.

And if they just changed the battery! Then we could probably sort this side of the problem out.
But they wont, as it starts ... albeit with error messages.

3. Yes I stopped 4 times; 2x to get rid of heavy steering, and twice to reactivate ESP.

Hey they cant have it both ways!
If they say the messages are probably due to low voltage, and it doesnt have a battery drain, and the alternator is quote excellent!
Then the battery is f*cked! So change it under warranty.

They wont, so if it breaks again battery wise , I will just call them out again.
And I did, and they are coming tomorrow ..... guess what with a New Battery! I didn't ask they volunteered it.

Will it happen ... ref new changes under the RAC. .? Who knows?

But I think the penny has dropped!

The drive was about 20 mins each way.

Having bought 10 new Mercs and watched the quality and customer service go to hell over that 28 year period .. I know how to deal with them!

Today they will only help you if its cheaper for them.
Hell I am retired so have time, if they want to send an engineer out 100 x at an internal cost of £70 to them ... one day some dumb idoit in MB will realize er thats £7000. Drrrr we should have honoured the warranty and bought him a £170 battery!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There is nobody that bright to do the bigger sums.
They have a system and nobody in the immediate food chain has the wit or the authority to change it and from my experience you have to go a long way up it to find someone.

Top Bottom