How long will my clutch last?

PJ61

Reaction score
At about 118k the local MOT tester pointed out that my clutch was starting to go. 9 months and 10k later, I'm starting to notice it myself (OK - I'm just a dumb driver).

I now realise fuel consumption has not been what it was when I first got the car (a C200 est). I'd say it's down about 10%. Very gradual process.

Three questions:
Would some slippage explain the consumption?

Am I damaging something else by continuing to drive the car (I will need to cover about 400 miles between now and Tuesday, but can book it in after that)?

Should I go to my usual Merc independent, or is it worth using a factory like Mr Clutch (who've quoted me £330 all in)?

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It depends on who much slipping if it is slipping that you have, if you go uphill in say in 3rd and when you put your foot down the engine revs go up, but the car does not increase in speed, then it could be said that it is slipping.

There are different parts to it, there is the thrust bearing, that can make a crunch when you put it in gear.

A slipping clutch can damage the fly wheel, thrust bearing/plate can collapse to name a few. You could do some clutch less gear changes by getting the speed of the car synchronized with the engine.

Malcolm

wscheffer

Reaction score
Website
www.scheffers.com
10% is a pretty big difference too says it’s just the clutch, but any time theirs slippage the result will be in less mpg. Since the motor must produce more rotations to cover the same distance.

I don’t know how bad the slippage is on your Merc. But I will assume that it is quite noticeable or you would not be posting this thread.

As the clutch slips it will generate excessive heat due to the friction between the clutch and the flywheel (Ring Gear). If unattended this could cause damage to the flywheel - warpage beyond what is considered to be normal. Thus causing you to bear the expense of replacing the flywheel along with the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing instead of just planning it flat again.

As far as whom to make this repair I would go with whom you feel most comfortable with. The repair is a pretty standard procedure either of the establishments you mentioned should be able to handle this for you. :)

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
The 3 components of the clutch (the clutch cover, plate and thrust bearing), will/must all be replaced as a kit .......my main concern would be the likely damage caused to the flywheel by the worn clutch plate rivets as they come into contact with the flywheel if you continue to drive it in it's present state.....you really need to have the clutch replaced asap as the slip will get rapidly worse....

With respect to Malcolm, clutchless gearchanges, in my opinion, will not help at this point now that the clutch is already slipping and besides, you are likely to cause undue wear/damage on the gearbox syncros if the timing of the gearchange is not right

Last edited:
OP
P

PJ61

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm and William and Panason1c.

It doesn't seem that big an effect. Sometimes I'm thinking I'm sure the power picked up a bit more quickly than that. But then I watch the speedo and revs together and there's never a time when it's just whizzing away without anything happening.

I'll take it in asap. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom