I want a CLK, but I don't want rust!

DuncanClarke

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a newish CLK. I have £10K+ to spend

I am concerned about buying one of the cars with inherent rust problems.

I know that they have various engine sizes, which is a good choice?

Could my learned friends please advise what would be a good, safe buy.

Thank you in advance

Duncan

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
DuncanClarke said:
Hi

I know that they have various engine sizes, which is a good choice?

Thank you in advance

Duncan

I bought a 320 because its smooth and very well suited to the CLK. Some say the 430 is too heavy and the four cyclinder cars (C230K, c200K & C200) are a bit rough. Forget the 200 as it is woefully underpowered. The Kompressor models are lively enough but not anything like as smooth as the 320. The fuel economy of my 320 is about 24/25mpg around town and 33+ on a run. The C230K is mariginally better.

Go for a facelifted one. These came in during August 1999. They can be distiguished by the indicators in the mirrors, the steering wheel controls, revised spoilers and skirts and rear central brake lamp cluster. These cars are much better than the earlier models. Go for a dark colour like blue or black or of course silver. Avoid the greens, white or red as you will find it very very difficult to sell/trade on in future.

As for rust, both the CLK's I've had have not rusted at all. Look for as new a model as you can, with FSH and low miles. Check the service book against the ASSYST maintenance indicator on the dash. Check for rust around the boot lock and wheel arches.

Suggest options; Parktronic is a must. Rear visibility on these is very poor. Heated seats are nice as is climate control. Comand can easily be retrofitted (I can help with that;) )

The W208 CLK is a lovely looking car and a good performer. Let us know what you choose to do.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have never heard of any rust issues with this model and that applies to the 208 and 209 cars. certain E class models are the only ones in genral that this applied to.

Malcolm

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
I went to look at a Y reg 230 CLK and it was going rotten in the same places as a W201 (boot lock surround and wheel arches).

www.honestjohn.co.uk also suggests checking for rust in those models too.

However if they have FMBSH, MB will do the rust for free..

Speedmaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 55 AMG
I just noticed yesterday when cleaning my CLK430 a small rust spot ab out 2 inches above the rear wheelarch:(

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
DuncanClarke said:
Hi

Duncan

Sad to say rust has been a problem on some. From 2004 onwards both Merc and BMW galvanised all steel panels etc. Buying models prior to that there is the 30 year rust guarantee from around 1999 onwards. Easy to claim from Mercedes if you get a car with FULL MBSH (I'd go for that anyway every time). Merc have fixed rust free on cars without FMBSH but not on all. Seems a bit harder to claim successfully. Put 'Rust CLK' in the search engine for this forum and a dozen or so threads come up. It misses some. See for example http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=103223#post103223
which is a CLK with quite a bit of rust but the search misses it. Mercedes paid to put this car right, for no charge.

Beware. Mercedes are just recently getting very funny about fixing cars if you have just bought it. They have said to several people who've bought a secondhand car and claimed a few weeks later, words along the lines, 'you bought it cheap because it had rust, no good coming to us'. Bad attitude in my view and very counterproductive. But here's the link:
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28645

If you want to be safe my advice is -if you can afford it- buy 2004 onwards. If you can't or don't want to spend that much, get a car with no rust now and Full MBSH so you are covered if it gets rust later. Then you are bullet-proof. Keep servicing with Merc dealers and you are even more bullet-proof.

The Mercedes website has a good search engine for secondhand cars from Merc dealers. Another good source is
http://www.used-mercedescars.co.uk
and also
http://www.directmercedes.co.uk

Good hunting.

Last edited:

Locoshaz

Reaction score
Hi Duncan,

I've recently bought a 2001 CLK 200k and i am more than happy with it. It's very smooth, and quick when it needs to be. I didn't want to go for a 230 as it is one group higher insurance-wise and it drinks more petrol. You could go for a 320 but you'll be spending more on fuel and again, the insurance will cost you more. I'd definitley reccomend going for a Kompressor, either the 200or 230 and in my opinion, silver is the best colour.

I'm gonna get some 18" alloys soon and that's all these models need to complete them.

Cheers,

LS.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Locoshaz said:
Hi Duncan,

I'm gonna get some 18" alloys soon and that's all these models need to complete them.

Matter of opinion - yes they look great but the supple ride of the CLK is destroyed. Maybe 17'' but 18'' is a step too far IMO.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
jberks said:
Matter of opinion - yes they look great but the supple ride of the CLK is destroyed. Maybe 17'' but 18'' is a step too far IMO.
Yes I agree with that. One of the great things about a Mercedes is the ride quality. To harm that does seem a shame and low profile tyres do make one heck of a difference in the wrong direction IMO, too.

banger

Reaction score
"Sad to say rust has been a problem on some. From 2004 onwards both Merc and BMW galvanised all steel panels etc. Buying models prior to that there is the 30 year rust guarantee from around 1999 onwards. Easy to claim from Mercedes if you get a car with FULL MBSH (I'd go for that anyway every time). Merc have fixed rust free on cars without FMBSH but not on all. Seems a bit harder to claim successfully. Put 'Rust CLK' in the search engine for this forum and a dozen or so threads come up. It misses some. "

Hi, I have a march 2004 prefacelift 320 cab. Do you know if mine has been galvanised or if not, how can I find out.
Thanks.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
banger said:
Hi, I have a march 2004 prefacelift 320 cab. Do you know if mine has been galvanised or if not, how can I find out.
Thanks.

I'm afraid I don't know the exact date in 2004 when galvanising began. You could ask Mercedes customer service:

CustomerService@cac.daimlerchrysler.com
Would be very interesting to know if you can find out and could post it here. And was galvanising started on all models at the same time?

Maybe someone else will come in on this thread who knows.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom