idle speed on 190e auto - is the idle speed too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 1988 190e auto and its great, but when starting from cold I have to hold the accelerator down slightly to start it. Then slowly ease off the pedel until its running ok so I can move my foot onto the brake to engage Drive. Is this a case of too slow an idle speed or is it somthing more serious?

Also whats the best oil to use for this car?

Thanks alot

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
idle speed on 190e auto

I know what you mean, in the handbook it states (like all injected cars) that no throttle is needed to start the car from hot or cold, however mine does need a little bit of encouragement from cold to get it going. I have heard mention of a cold start valve on here before, however i am of the view that if it isnt broken then dont fix it!

OP
J

jim

Reaction score
idle speed on 190e auto

cheers Matt

It dosn't bother me much, im just worried that when I get it serviced (next month) it could be an added expense..... ill let you know.

also do you find your car vears to the left much if you take your hands off the steering wheel?

J

john

idle speed on 190e auto

Cars should not veer. Find straight LEVEL ground and try driving with and without braking. Cambers on roads tend to make cars veer. Above little test will determine if it veers. If it does you can narrow fault to steering or brakes. Hope this helps.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
idle speed on 190e auto

Hi Jim

John is right, on level ground it should run in a straight line no problem, however i must admit it does react quite strongly to a slight camber in the road. More so than other cars ive had.

As for the starting, dont forget no one can force you to have anyting done to the car you dont want, so if Mr Mechanic says he can fix the problem at a cost of £100 or something then its entirely up to you if you bother to do it or not.

let us know how you get on.

cheers

OP
J

jim

Reaction score
idle speed on 190e auto

I checked the car on flat ground and made sure all tyres were correctly inflated and it runs fine - phheew!

Thanks for the info.

steveperry

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedes-benz.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2010 CLS350CDI Gr.Ed.
idle speed on 190e auto

Jim,

I've noticed this veering effect too, both on my current car and my previous 1987 190e. If the camber of the road is slightly left or right then the car will want to head off in that direrction if left to its own devices, or under braking. If on a level straight road/ground though the car will head straight on without any hint of wanting to pull left or right.

S.

sunil sood

Reaction score
idle speed on 190e auto

i found that my car used to pull towards the front  passenger side- the front passenger tyre was also wearing out more so on the outside edge--it was cured after i had the wheel alignment checked and corrected,they also checked the camber and castor readings at the time .the garage had a computerised 4 wheel tracking machine which gave a printout of the before adjustment and after adjustment readings.correct tyre prerssure is also a crucial factor and  imbalances causes cars to pull towards one side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom