If I only knew...

sineda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 CDi SE
Today my pre-facelift B180 CDi glow plugs light came on, it stays on for the first 2 minutes and then goes off. The light will only come back once the engine is fully cold, which if I understand correctly, is the right thing because glow plugs are used to help diesel engines start up in cold weather.

The problem is that no indie garage wants to take this job because apparently a B-Class is a nightmare job to do - that is, replacing the glow plugs because a lot of things needs dismantling as well as the coolant draining (form what I heard), etc. I called a local MB garage (not main dealer) and they quoted £499! They also said that if the glow plugs are hard to take out, stuck or snap, then they'll need to call an engineer, meaning the cost goes up to £799!! FOR FOUR GLOW PLUGS?!?!?!?! I kind of lost the will to own this B-Class now. Are all Mercedes this hard to replace or is it just the B-Class?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Forget about it...glow plugs in cdi engines aren't really needed.

OP
sineda

sineda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 CDi SE
Forget about it...glow plugs in cdi engines aren't really needed.
Really? I mean, they are there for a reason, right? So why doesn't a CDi engine needs these plugs? Will I not suffer during winter?

The thing that bugs me the most is the light on the dash.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
cdi s run at much higher pressure than the previous diesels.

OP
sineda

sineda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B180 CDi SE
cdi s run at much higher pressure than the previous diesels.
Thanks for the reply. This is a piece of mind for the time being, however I'll research more into this as I am afraid that the car won't start when the temperature reaches below 5 degrees.

Sylar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2006/180k
Be intrested to know what happens when the frost comes back!

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
IMO (I don't know your car or circumstances):

Most likely only 1 plug has failed, they are a pig to access and sometimes seize in situ leading to snapping, hence the reluctance you have experienced...
No damage will result from running the car in this situation, but a Siberian winter might result in some starting issues if more fail. Do you garage the car overnight? Can the work be postponed to next major service where it might become cheaper as part of a 'package'?
More experienced members will be able to provide more definitive information on running the vehicle without working glow plugs and provide some contacts for you...

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Using a small disposable BBQ below the engine in sub zero temps to pre warm the engine will aid starting (maybe :D )
I haven't tried this myself though .

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Using a small disposable BBQ below the engine in sub zero temps to pre warm the engine will aid starting (maybe :D )

Not so different from the parrafin sump heaters that were aroind in the 50s and 60s

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
I know you are only taking the P***, but I have thought that an electric blanket under the engine bay would be a good idea in winter to help the diesel reach it's most economical temperature as fast as possible.

Sylar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2006/180k
Lol
I know you are only taking the P***, but I have thought that an electric blanket under the engine bay would be a good idea in winter to help the diesel reach it's most economical temperature as fast as possible.

..... im going right off these Mercs!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That or a garage :) . I thought range rovers have timeable pre heaters anyway .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hey! Hold on, it's only a pen name! Never actually drove a range Rover!
Funny , I thought you must have ! Maybe an aspiration for the future after your electric blanket burns your car this winter :D

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
Funny , I thought you must have ! Maybe an aspiration for the future after your electric blanket burns your car this winter :D
Ha Ha , actually the idea of an electric blanket and the risk of fire from engine oil, I don't have any leaks from my car anyway led me to think along the idea of a coil of water pipes with heated water passing through, I think actually that would be a good job. It would be on a timer of course and in a garage.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ha Ha , actually the idea of an electric blanket and the risk of fire from engine oil, I don't have any leaks from my car anyway led me to think along the idea of a coil of water pipes with heated water passing through, I think actually that would be a good job. It would be on a timer of course and in a garage.
It's an idea but I wonder if the cost of heating water is more than the cost of waiting for engine to warm to maximium efficiency . Also factor in the cost of pulling your boiler down the road when you have forgotten to unplug it :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sineda , I'm sorry for going off topic :) .

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom