If your new hybrid doesn’t do 40 miles on electric only. Your banned

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
To run along side the banning of diesels in 2040 someone in Power has come up with this idea now. That would put britains top seller the Pryus out then as it only does 30 miles on a single charge still the manufacturers have 22 years to sort the batteries out.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Dammit. There goes my idea down the tubes, the chumps.

Bl00dy politics!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
These arbitrary dates for the ending of this this that or the other are just that and will flutter in the political wind.
Besides my youth might have invented some perpetual motion machine by then, he better had I need my nursing home fees paid and I won't be staying in some urine pit.

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
I agree with Lostkiwi, this rule would ensure hybrids do have a useable range.
If it is 40 miles then that is only slightly more range than current hybrids and there is a long time for battery technology to improve.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
To run along side the banning of diesels in 2040 someone in Power has come up with this idea now. That would put britains top seller the Pryus out then as it only does 30 miles on a single charge still the manufacturers have 22 years to sort the batteries out.
Its petrol and diesel cars that the ban is proposed for in 2040.

Noelmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500/2005/4966
Compliance cars, take a existing design, put a electric motor in the gearbox casing, stuff a few batteries into the bottom of the boot. Electric power designed to last the time it takes to do the testing. And hey presto you have a car that according to the test, has a huge range with minimal emissions.
Just another way round the rules. Now the rules have changed to real world driving testing, I see most of the models with the above DNA have been ditched anyway. These types of cars will be a distant memory in 20 years time.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Have you any plans ?

I am poised with my Dyson digital motors and a bumper box of rechargeable AA's

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
What is the definition of a car? Does it include small tray type vehicles (utes in Oz) like Toyota Hi-Lux, Mitsubishi Tritons, or Mercedes X Class used by tradesmen? Haven't seen any hybrid versions of these yet nor any HGV's, the main users of diesel. It seems like an on the run political decision, so they can be seen to be doing something and pandering to the vocal Green minority.

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
My wife has a Toyota Auris hybrid. It has a tiny battery, and nowhere near 40 miles range(it's not plug-in anyway). The advantage is has over my (diesel)Merc(which will easilly match it on MPG on a motorway run) is that it recycles a lot of that energy that would be otherwise "wasted" as heat. The end result is that it has almost the same MPG round town as on the open road.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I looked again at one of Mr Musk's cars and found its fit and finish to be poor.
A cultural change will eventually push us dinosaurs into one of these Duracell cars as of yet which I do not know, its reminiscent of the early days of video recorders and the gut feeling that the new X around the corner will be the one to buy and not the W you are currently looking at.

JohnArnoldBrown

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI Estate 2003
"it's reminiscent of the early days of video recorders and the gut feeling that the new X around the corner will be the one to buy and not the W you are currently looking at."

What actually happened was that the W was much better than the X, but everbody bought the X anyway, and when the Y came along, which was technically superior to both, it tanked.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
So do I need a Betamax car a VHS, maybe a PVR or just wait to be shuffled around in a self driving MP4 ?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom