Improvements of post 2001 facelifted ML's

SupraZed

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am considering buying an ML 270 and just wondered if they had appreciably improved the quality of build on the post 2001 facelifted models. As most people will know they have faired quite badly in most reviews, namely the JD power surveys. I just need to be confident that the improvements are more than skin deep.

TIA.

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Not having had a pre 2000 model, I am not qualified to compare one with the post 2000 series. However, I would be confident in saying that the post 2000 vehicles were still rather lacking in many areas. The new 2006 model finally redesigned and rectified most if not all of the inherent design problems.
Some of the common problems with the earlier series relate to poor suspension, sticking throttle cable, engine mounts causing excessive noise/vibration transference in to cabin (in 270cdi diesel variant), premature brake pad/disc wear. Otherwise, vehicle design quite good and practical and finish acceptable. Engine, gearbox etc perform well.

OP
S

SupraZed

Reaction score
Thanks, I've just sold my 2000 E320 CDI which suffered major corrosion problems on almost every panel of the bodywork. Crazy that the car came with a 30 year bodywork corrosion warranty. MB offered to pay 50% of the costs to repaint the car, the quote to do the work was more than 3 times what I got it done for privately from an insurance approved painter so the offer was a joke really.

Anyway, I know better now and will be doing my homework and am in no rush which is the best way to buy a car. :D

Cheers.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
its a steady improvement from '99 on really.
The new model is supposed to be vastly better but that doesn't help I guess. Just buy the newest you can. On the upside, I haven't heard of anyone complaining about corrosion in the ML. Then again, a newer E won't rust either. That was just the poor sods like you and me who bought turn of the century E's.

psmart

Reaction score
oigle said:
Not having had a pre 2000 model, I am not qualified to compare one with the post 2000 series. However, I would be confident in saying that the post 2000 vehicles were still rather lacking in many areas. The new 2006 model finally redesigned and rectified most if not all of the inherent design problems.
Some of the common problems with the earlier series relate to poor suspension, sticking throttle cable, engine mounts causing excessive noise/vibration transference in to cabin (in 270cdi diesel variant), premature brake pad/disc wear. Otherwise, vehicle design quite good and practical and finish acceptable. Engine, gearbox etc perform well.
Oigle, its finally happened, 6 years and 62000 miles, new engine mountings needed. Strange how mines gone so long compared with others!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom