Insurance costs for a remap

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Theres always talk about having our cars remapped etc, but little in the way of what the increased costs are.

I contacted my insurance about this, and they said they will not insure me at all if I modify my car.

Anyone else have any experience in this ?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Yes the same.

I requested if I remapped for improved consumtion not looking for greater power the effect was they would not insure a car that didn't have the manufacturers mapping.

On here we have had members who have just paid a little extra when they declared a remap.

My concern is knowing if the 2nd hand car I own has been changed. The insurance always ask if there are any changes to ......... well many aspects. I always reply "not as far as I know". Last week with the 320 the operative said "we shall take that as a NO then", "not as far as I know " I replied.

In the event where would we stand, bearing in mind they have a legal team it's a concern.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The only one that I know of is where the cdi 200 is converted to a 220cdi, and in this case the car could be registered as such

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Theres always talk about having our cars remapped etc, but little in the way of what the increased costs are.

I contacted my insurance about this, and they said they will not insure me at all if I modify my car.

Anyone else have any experience in this ?

When I was considering a re-map last year for my current motor I too asked the same question and was told that whilst they 'might' cover me it will increase my premium, by how much they were very reluctant to quote any figures given it was "just an enquiry" they also added "we would of course reserve the right not to continue to offer you any cover at all" why? "we would have to look into the changes you are contemplating before making a decision" - I lost the will to go any further.

I guess Insurance Company's will get even more pedantic on this issue given that they seem to be tightening up on all facets of motor insurance.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Soem insurance companies will cover modified cars, some wont, it's just a matter of finding out their policy.

Back to Miffy...forget it, a remap won't make any difference to your car....Honestly, it won't.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The response you get from your insurer

when you inquire, may vary between "I don't know" and a detailed examination.

When I inquired about the insurer's views on mapping, even once I had explained the general outline, the person on the desk had not a clue what I was talking about. The promised return call never came.

But they then wanted to load the premium as they insisted that "COMAND" was a modification!

"Professionals"? Protect us, please.

OP
Miffy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Soem insurance companies will cover modified cars, some wont, it's just a matter of finding out their policy.

Back to Miffy...forget it, a remap won't make any difference to your car....Honestly, it won't.

Yes, I have been told this before, but a few on MBC who are doing a group remap deal seem to be saying it would improve MPG. I know I can do this by wearing a lighter boot on the throttle foot :)

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Yes, I have been told this before, but a few on MBC who are doing a group remap deal seem to be saying it would improve MPG. I know I can do this by wearing a lighter boot on the throttle foot :)
Just shows how guillible some people are.

Your car is a petrol, it requires a constant mixture strength, so how can a remap make any real difference.

Before the days of knock sensors remaps used to advance the timing 3 degrees, now knock sensors are used to advance the timing as aggressively as possible without knock.

OP
Miffy

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just shows how guillible some people are.

Your car is a petrol, it requires a constant mixture strength, so how can a remap make any real difference.

Before the days of knock sensors remaps used to advance the timing 3 degrees, now knock sensors are used to advance the timing as aggressively as possible without knock.

yes, but it was worth the exercise in asking what my insurance would do. It seems to not have been mentioned by those doing the remap

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom