Introductions etc

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Looks lovely!
You enjoying the nice silky smoothness?

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
The battery for my 2002 C240 Petrol 2.6 (W203) is knackered and I'm trying to source a new one. I've put the car reg onto various sites and they're throwing up all sorts of options. Unfortunately, the bonnet is stuck so I can't verify the correct dimensions to ensure the new one would be a perfect fit. I

I'm not sure which sub-forum this belongs in, but I'll be grateful for assistance if someone could advise on the right battery dimensions or even better suggest any known reliable replacements for this model.

Much obliged!

Sam

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yours will take an 096 battery.

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
Yours will take an 096 battery.

Cheers, Craig. I spoke with Tayna batteries and they wanted me to confirm the length, width and height of the battery compartment to ensure the 096 battery they send out will fit there. That's the key issue I'm facing right now as I can't access the compartment. I suspect there's a tech spec sheet or some page of the user manual with this information but its all locked up in the car due to the dead battery. Utterly frustrating

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Cheers, Craig. I spoke with Tayna batteries and they wanted me to confirm the length, width and height of the battery compartment to ensure the 096 battery they send out will fit there. That's the key issue I'm facing right now as I can't access the compartment. I suspect there's a tech spec sheet or some page of the user manual with this information but its all locked up in the car due to the dead battery. Utterly frustrating

If the battery is dead and you can't unlock the hood, how can you change the battery? ;)

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
Thanks, Craig. Should the doors normally open even with a totally dead battery?

I spoke with folks at Burrows Recovery (Nationwide Bank breakdown cover service) and they say they can get in somehow even though the doors dont open.

I've called them out twice since the beginning of the week when the weather went extremely cold again. I foolishly locked it up after getting home on Tuesday night and the next morning (yesterday), it just won't respond to the keyfob command at all. It might probably be another issue, maybe. But I know for certain the battery would also need changing and I'm trying to have it to hand when I call out the recovery folks for the third time this week. If it's just the battery I can have it changed when they arrive. Otherwise, it'll be a tow to the independent MB folks near the Nottingham racecourse

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, Craig. Should the doors normally open even with a totally dead battery?

I spoke with folks at Burrows Recovery (Nationwide Bank breakdown cover service) and they say they can get in somehow even though the doors dont open.

I've called them out twice since the beginning of the week when the weather went extremely cold again. I foolishly locked it up after getting home on Tuesday night and the next morning (yesterday), it just won't respond to the keyfob command at all. It might probably be another issue, maybe. But I know for certain the battery would also need changing and I'm trying to have it to hand when I call out the recovery folks for the third time this week. If it's just the battery I can have it changed when they arrive. Otherwise, it'll be a tow to the independent MB folks near the Nottingham racecourse

Can you not unlock it with the emergency metal blade in the keyfob?

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
Can you not unlock it with the emergency metal blade in the keyfob?

Aha! Funny how you go brain dead in an emergency! Top marks as always, Craig. That should get me in so I can crank the bonnet hood open and check the specs. :cool::cool:

On to it now.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aha! Funny how you go brain dead in an emergency! Top marks as always, Craig. That should get me in so I can crank the bonnet hood open and check the specs. :cool::cool:

On to it now.

You're more than welcome!

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
Not looking good

So, I've got a new battery fitted; I actually splashed out on an orginal Mercedes battery too. Sadly it seems the battery might not have been the problem :(:( Shortly after leaving the garage, the car has been showing the following errors:
1. Battery / Alternator. Visit Workshop! (in red)
2. Undrevoltage. Switch Consumers Off! (in orange)

I'm totally gutted as it seems the fault might be with the altenator. Anyone experienced this before?

Could it be that the car needs to run for a bit longer to charge the new battery fully? 'm tearing my hair out here as I thought the non-start was definitely due to the 13 year old battery.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
So, I've got a new battery fitted; I actually splashed out on an orginal Mercedes battery too. Sadly it seems the battery might not have been the problem :(:( Shortly after leaving the garage, the car has been showing the following errors:
1. Battery / Alternator. Visit Workshop! (in red)
2. Undrevoltage. Switch Consumers Off! (in orange)

I'm totally gutted as it seems the fault might be with the altenator. Anyone experienced this before?

Could it be that the car needs to run for a bit longer to charge the new battery fully? 'm tearing my hair out here as I thought the non-start was definitely due to the 13 year old battery.

It could just be that the errors need to be reset now that the battery has been replaced.

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
I'm hoping so. I've booked it in for it to be checked out next Friday so we'll see.

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
Looks like my luck has finally crapped out with the car :(

I've just returned from the MB Centre at the Colwick Industrial area in Nottingham and apparently it's the alternator that's gone!

I've been quoted £549 to have a genuine Mercedes one fitted or £360 to have a non-genuine one fitted; neither of which area financially feasible for me at the curent time.

I'll be really grateful for your insights and advice regarding a used alternator. I've seen a couple on various car breakers sites and Ebay going for between £40 and £80, like this for instance:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282371508854?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Am I totally mad for considering a used alternator. The guys at MB Centre say they will fit it for £90 or so if I supply my own. The car's probably worth just around £1,000 so I don't know if its worth spending even the £360 or so for the non-genuine one when there may be other issues down the line to sort out given the age of the vehicle.

Your advice is deeply welcome!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ You could do with getting the Part # and brand of the old alternator before ordering a 2nd hand one from eBay. With different brands and specs for each model, it is important to get the right one.

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
^ You could do with getting the Part # and brand of the old alternator before ordering a 2nd hand one from eBay. With different brands and specs for each model, it is important to get the right one.

Cheers!

OP
S

SamNotts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class C240 W203
A0131548102
14 VOLT
120amp
BOSCH

Kirbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ECLASS 280 sport,2009,3.0 and SL350 2004
Sam

I would tread carefully buying a second hand alternator off ebay,spend the time on looking for someone who has sold loads of what you are buying for some considerable time,avoid the cheaper back bedroom types

If this is all is wrong with the car and with new battery then it sems wise to stick with it

There might be someone on here with better contacts than me that might have one

This time on a Friday a lot of members are travelling /school run/ going for early pint so wait until the morning to see what comes up

Cheers

Top Bottom