Issue with W204 2008 C220 CDI Glow Plugs.....Help!

Ryan Forgoine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W204 C220 CDI
Hi folks,

I have a 2008 C220 CDI, last month a glow plug light came on during a cold start(stayed on for approx. 1 minute after driving away) and I changed all 4 glow plugs(to Lucas), however since then during a cold start, the light is staying on for the same amount of time. I put a diagnostic machine on it, and there is a fault showing up with glow plug 3 stating a 'Short circuit to ground'.

This makes me think that this is an electrical issue further back, and possibly nothing to do with the actual glow plug?

Has anybody else came across this and could offer any help/advice?

I would love to be able to sort this myself without having to take the car to an auto spark!

Cheers!
Ryan

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Hi folks,

I have a 2008 C220 CDI, last month a glow plug light came on during a cold start(stayed on for approx. 1 minute after driving away) and I changed all 4 glow plugs(to Lucas), however since then during a cold start, the light is staying on for the same amount of time. I put a diagnostic machine on it, and there is a fault showing up with glow plug 3 stating a 'Short circuit to ground'.

This makes me think that this is an electrical issue further back, and possibly nothing to do with the actual glow plug?

I would love to be able to sort this myself without having to take the car to an auto spark!

Cheers!
Ryan

I have the same issue on my 2005 S203 C220 CDI. Noticed it 3 years ago but was advised it would not affect the engine so never did anything to fix it. Now, with a bigger issue I felt it Was time now to fix this issue while getting my car back on the road again. So, following this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi folks,

Cheers!
Ryan
It is possible to test glow plugs in situ with an electrical test meter . I did mine a couple of years ago , I forget the exact procedure but I used YouTube initially .
It is basically putting one test meter probe on the glow plug , the other on the metal nearby and checking the resistance . If the number 3 is faulty it gives a different reading to the working ones .
The fault though may be in the glow plug relay which can get fried when the glow plug fails .

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
It's almost certain that the problem rests with the glowplug relay circuit thingamybob, rather than the plugs themselves. Apparently it's cheap and easy to change so I would recommend looking there.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ryan Forgoine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W204 C220 CDI
It is possible to test glow plugs in situ with an electrical test meter . I did mine a couple of years ago , I forget the exact procedure but I used YouTube initially .
It is basically putting one test meter probe on the glow plug , the other on the metal nearby and checking the resistance . If the number 3 is faulty it gives a different reading to the working ones .
The fault though may be in the glow plug relay which can get fried when the glow plug fails .

Thanks for that reply! Have you any idea where the glow plug relay is? Somebody told me it was on the inner wing but I really can’t see anything on my 2008 W204. Somebody else mentioned that it could be easily accessible from underneath the car so that left me even more confused! If I could find it, I would change it as there is a good Mercedes breaker only a few miles from my house. Thanks

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Thanks for that reply! Have you any idea where the glow plug relay is? Somebody told me it was on the inner wing but I really can’t see anything on my 2008 W204. Somebody else mentioned that it could be easily accessible from underneath the car so that left me even more confused! If I could find it, I would change it as there is a good Mercedes breaker only a few miles from my house. Thanks
Hi Ryan, if you watch the Youtube clip that I posted, all your questions will be answered.

OP
R

Ryan Forgoine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W204 C220 CDI
N,S Front wing,disconnect and look on EBay for same, code No, should be on it.

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply. It appears that is correct for a 2006 W203 C220CDI (which my dad currently owns), but the only thing near my N/S front wing is the ABS control unit. I've heard from someone that the glow plug relay unit could be under the EGR valve at the back of the engine, which means accessing it from underneath the car most likely. The saga continues!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
both the glow plugs and the control box (relay) should be considered as normal service items and should go in the bin circa 5 years 60k miles

Albert38

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 C220 estate
Hi Ryan. I am glad I found your thread. I have the same problem. 2008 C220. Changed all 4 glow plugs, now the pre-heat light stays on for about a minute. The same as your issue. I am 99% sure its now the relay as I have checked all 4 new plugs are working ok. Where was the relay situated and did the replacement fix the issue.

Many Thank
Paul

ivanxxx

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 200 CDi
A bit late reply, but the issue is with Glow plug module that will burn out if one of the glow plugs shorts to ground. To replace it is very difficult as its situated under EGR housing next to EGR valve, it has to be reached from under the car, very small space but enough to get it replaced. Hope this helps !

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom