Karcher died on Friday the 13th ... after 24 years not bad really

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
My Dad used to work for a company that imported and sold waterblasting equipment (amongst other things).
He always said Karcher were rubbish as they used steel pistons which over time corrode and eventually they don't build up pressure. His view was that to be worthwhile the pump components should be ceramic to provide resistance to corrosion and ensure long life.

Like several others my own unit is a Nilfisk bought 8 years ago to replace a Karcher (the purchase of which was when I got the lecture about how rubbish they were!).

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I have a Bosch Aquatak 1200 Plus, bought it for £80 on 17th March 2010, never had an issue

Last edited:
OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Is this a Karcher pressure washer? If so what do you need to do with it to require professional quality..?

Not completely mad.
Just prefer decent kit that lasts a long time e.g. Elu jig saw, drill etc. Bought in 1982 they all still run perfectly.
Plus a nightmare white honed sandstone patio
Washed quickly 3x p.w with my Pro-level old Karcher ... looks like
IMG_4343.JPG

Since it broke ... I tried a friends K4 circa £200
And it wont budge the stain from the sycamores
And you get this ...
IMG_4344.JPG

Not very nice. And now will need horrendously expensive cleaner that costs about £45 to clean it. And the main thing is it has to stay on for 24 hours so not good for Chubby
IMG_4232.JPG
His health is worth way more than the difference of a few hundred £. Well in truth a few thousand £!

And our roof has serious moss, clogs gutters all the time.
My old pro K blasted it all the way across over an inaccessible Conservatory. Because my hose was too short we tried a neighbours K4 as it was lighter to balance up a ladder (circa £180) and it only pushed the muck about 3/4 the way across.

So just made sense to me to buy a much better machine for £100 more, that will probably last me my lifetime.

Having a much higher water throughput, It might be quicker and possibly even spur me on to wash the cars 2x per week with a very weak Ph neutral shampoo, rather than leave it a week and have to wash harder with a stronger concentration of car wash . ..... Hoping it allows the Collinite to last longer ?

So by my calculations avoiding the cost of the (natural stone) patio cleaner call it a £2 a week more expensive ... worth it to make life easier

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
^ Nope.
I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a pressure washer either;)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Beautiful Chubby there btw. Agree on his health. You’ve lost me on the staining and how that impacts on his health though..!

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
I think he means chemicals on patio could 'burn' cat paws....

Though when I first saw the photo I thought Sub was going to talk about pressure washing his pussy EEEEEEK!

:)

My 10/12 yr old nilfisk died this year, replaced it with an Aldi one, does what I need (conservatory roof) 150bar - very powerful for the price.
Good warranty 3yr, £79.... it'll do.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Just buy the ****** thing...cue another 10 pages.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I think he means chemicals on patio could 'burn' cat paws....

Though when I first saw the photo I thought Sub was going to talk about pressure washing his pussy EEEEEEK!

:)

My 10/12 yr old nilfisk died this year, replaced it with an Aldi one, does what I need (conservatory roof) 150bar - very powerful for the price.
Good warranty 3yr, £79.... it'll do.

At 150bar you could use it for an ABC pump :D

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Keep your hand off Chubby while you are looking for pussy , especially if the curtains are open :eek::D

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Beautiful Chubby there btw. Agree on his health. You’ve lost me on the staining and how that impacts on his health though..!

If one neglects this dam white natural sandstone, for even a week certain leaves here stain the stone.
It then needs 4.5 liters of Lithothin Outdoor cleaner £10.93 a litre, to clean it, and look natural ...tried 4 other brands.... didnt work.
But you have to leave it on for 24 hours. So using a powerful and high flow rate washer meant one didnt have to use the cleaner. But its a right pain doing it 3 times a week ( that stops the staining so no chemical cleaner is required) hence imo anything that makes that chore easier is worth it.

And its impossible to keep him of it.
Being an ultra clean cat ... he instantly cleans his paws after walking over it .. thats his route to the back door and also his cat flap!

And before you ask yes we tried sealers. One said they gteed it would work ... my arse. These honed stoned sucked up the recommended dosage costing £250, and then needed another £200 to do the job ( made them supply the rest foc )
But instead of lasting 5 years it had gone in 9 months!
Hence power washing is the only viable way. ( my time being free lol ).

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
My Dad used to work for a company that imported and sold waterblasting equipment (amongst other things).
He always said Karcher were rubbish as they used steel pistons which over time corrode and eventually they don't build up pressure. His view was that to be worthwhile the pump components should be ceramic to provide resistance to corrosion and ensure long life.

Like several others my own unit is a Nilfisk bought 8 years ago to replace a Karcher (the purchase of which was when I got the lecture about how rubbish they were!).

I would agree hence bought the commercial one its brass/stainless steel and ceramic.
Personally Inthinkmthe little domestic ones are rubbish .. plastic everywhere.
Took advice from a mates friend who hires out the commercial ones .. he says all 12 of them are now 15 years old and still working perfectly.

The bitch is to get the quality used 10 years ago, one has to go up the range.
Anyway done now £480 .. so sorted.
Got a 32% discount so happy.

Hopefully I can sell the accessories most are relatively new,
15m drain cleaner (unused ... dont ask! Always worth telling the wife you have ordered some kit to do a job. Or you get home to find she called someone out and had it done!).
New unused G180 Quick Connect gun
Patio Surface Cleaner, and Underbody Lance one year old.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Can't you get adaptors to fit the accessories onto the new one?

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Can't you get adaptors to fit the accessories onto the new one?
I did work out a way of connecting them usi g an adapter and a hose extention, where you unscrew one end adapter.
But its the increased pressure.
Sales litreature says its working pressure is 130 Bar, but the actual manual says max working pressure is 190 Bar.
So apprently over the domestic top pressure of 180 Bar.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
New one arrived today.
Extremely well built, really heavy duty and exceptionally quiet. :)

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
How many DB's is "exceptionally quiet"?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom