L407D whining noise, stops when clutch in..???

B

billf73

Hello,

I just bought an old (1985) L407D van to convert into a mobile home... its done about 70,000kms, seems to be legit as I have all the papers. I'm far from being a vehicle expert & there were a few things wrong from the start... clutch failed completely while on the motorway shifting from 5 to 4... total loss of power & a loud noise. After the clutch was really hard to press and doing so made the engine grind to a halt. Also the exhaust pipe became dis- connected from the engine... very loud. These things are now ok.

But I have a new problem, a fairly hi pitched whining noise which occurs in the 1st few mins after starting up, usually while in the lower gears (2-3)... though it seems to be getting worse & it now whines for a longer period and I think in higher gears also...

The whining completely stops if you press the clutch in.

The last time I drove off in very heavy rain & the whining was the worst so far... also the battery warning light came on while or shortly after this was happening.

I should also mention that while on the motorway doing about 110km/h (5th gear with the pedal on the floor) for an hour or so the engine temp went up and some smoke came from the engine. I reduced the revs and the temp went down. I haven't driven it this hard since.

Any advice would be really appreciated. I'm not planning to fix this myself but would like to have at least a rough idea of the problem before i go to a garage...

Also I would like to run it on bio deisel if possible but I understand the fuel pump is not suitable. Can this be changed?

many thanks...bill

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Or lay shaft bearings

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Throw out bearing.

Sorry but you are wrong there. Throwout bearing only operates when the clutch is depressed.

Layshaft bearing could be at fault. Also consider alternator. If happening after cold startup, alternator is working hard to recharge battery and can whine noticeably. You mentioned a charge light coming on also - could be connected. Get the alternator checked or drop the fan belt off and see if noise is still there.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Also consider alternator. If happening after cold startup, alternator is working hard to recharge battery and can whine noticeably

Hi

I need an explanation.

Given that the belt drives the alternator pulley, how does the alternator work harder on a cold startup.

Thanks in advance.

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Alternator works harder after a cold start up, as start up ie heater plugs and starter motor pull lumps out of your battery and the alternator then has to work hard for a time to replace what's been taken from your battery ;)

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom