LA:17 code

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Hi all new to forum as i just purchased my first Merc van. its a 2011 Vito 113. Not sure where it stands on the spec range but it has colour coded bumpers and trim and 16" merc alloys. I will post pics later if needed. I have what looks like a fault code LA:17 flashes for about 10 seconds on the dash lcd but cant find any info on the forums or search engines. I also have a vibration while driving but i have gathered info on that and need to work on the process of elimination to narrow it down. I will have to get the codes read i guess to narrow down LA17, but just enquiring if anybody has came across this code?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, can’t help with that code I’m afraid- sorry!
Hopefully a Vito owner will be along soon to help, otherwise get it to a Mercedes Indy who can get it on a Star diagnostic to tell you the full story

OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks John and a happy new year, i will try my local indie mechanic who i know well to see if he can read codes as i know he has about £2000 worth of diagnostic equipment. I did catch somewhere on the net that the code might be linked to a faulty wheel sensor. Another thing i forgot to mention if anybody knows, the van wont go over 80mph, not that i intend to use them speeds:) but speed limiter i found on the van is set to unlimited so possibly another fault maybe linked to the code above?. I am a mechanic myself but left the trade many years back and only look after my own vehicles now. I got the van at the right money and parts aren't outrageous that i considered to leave the van right. I still have a love of getting my hands dirty but my diagnostic equipment is limited and I'm on a steep learning curve with my new merc :(

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Googling LA17 indicates pulling the fuse for the instrument cluster to reset it removes the fault?
I wasn't aware there is even a fuse for the cluster. Maybe worth a try?

I'd also Google the brand of code reader you have and see what is indicated for that fault.

OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks AM, didn't find that in google search myself. Will give that a try tomorrow for a start

OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi All
Back again just to bump this post about LA:17 on the instrument display. fault code reader is showing up no codes and the van has been happily driving from middle of jan with no apparent faults. tried the fuse for the instrument cluster but no luck. At a wild guess i can only think its related to the dpf?. My back doors are converted or fitted with a slam lock device (Stickers on bulkhead)which is annoying as i have to open them everytime with the fob. My van is also limited to 80mph, although in most cases this is fast enough. Is that a job for a Mercedes dealer to unlimit the van and convert the locks back to normal?

OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok since there was no input from anybody else i thought it was a one off code, so i bought an icarsoft i980 and pulled two codes from the vito first one was a faulty EOBD indicator lamp which i didn't pay much attention to as i was getting other low voltage codes in other vehicle systems. the second code was "communication with the starter or alternator has a malfunction". I have looked into this on the internet (code U012000) on my code reader but seems to be commonly known better as U0120 and all clues point to a fault in the wiring loom on top of the engine due to chaffing or bad z joints and either a dud alternator or starter.
I have not looked at the van yet to confirm this but i did notice watching the live voltages during engine tickover that the voltage was 11.9 volts but jumped to 13 something after a couple of revs and seemed to behave normally then. I will post back if i can get to the bottom of it or else i will send it to the local autospark.

Last edited:
OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Finally got the vito in the garage, Vito has been going into limp mode recently among the other latter problems posted above. I have a injector parameter fault code which arises intermittently. code reads "Teach in of the operating parameters for cylinder 3 has a malfunction. There is an error in the calibration or parameterization memory". I had a look at the injectors this evening and cylinder 3 injector looks to be in the early stages of the black death but I have caught it in time before its made a mess of the head. If anybody knows would this fault code be caused by the injector blowing by the copper seal or is the fault related to the injector?

OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Should have come back to finish this post, New set of injectors sorted van out all other codes disappeared after injectors fitted.
as regards LA:17 Fairly convinced it relates to EML led not working or tampered with as in my case. If your getting this code check you EML is illuminating when ignition is on.

OP
Kev555

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
LA:17 is the code for a non working EML as I re-soldered my EML led back in and the LA:17 code is gone

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom