LED Headlamp Fault

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Hi,

My 2017 WDD2221322A S Class has factory fitted LED lighting throughout the car, as standard.

The nearside headlamp has now developed a fault. The normal running lights are fine although the headlamp inner light emitting lamp, for what would traditionally be dipped beam, has started flickering continuously when the headlamps are on. The offside lamp is working fine.

Any ideas about what the fault could be? Is it possible to repair this light fault or does a complete new headlamp need to be bought?

If it can be repaired, does anyone know the process and what headlamp part would be required? Is it something which I can replace myself, with just traditional hand tools?

If it requires a complete new headlamp, has anyone any information of the likely costs and does this need setting up on STAR?

Thanks in advance of your help with this.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I would be at the dealers looking for goodwill and or still under warranty.

Ouch a new h lamp wont be cheap - sit on your dealer

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Unrepairable, £1000+ for new part, will need coding on STAR. As Mioba- the lamps have an 8 year minimum design life. Go and kick your dealer until he agrees!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Unrepairable, £1000+ for new part, will need coding on STAR. As Mioba- the lamps have an 8 year minimum design life. Go and kick your dealer until he agrees!
So after 8 years the car gets written off because of a headlight out... great for the environment that is...:rolleyes:

Yes I know that pretty much all of modern cars are recyclable. I’m also very aware of how they’re recycled...;)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
8 yr old car written off cos it needs headlights.tells me all I need to know !!!!!

AVOID AVOID AVOID we are gettin be green,recycle rammed down our throats, at the same time as being ransomed to the complete opposite for commercial interests.
I have started lookin at old mot,tax exempt cars in decent nic..

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
So after 8 years the car gets written off because of a headlight out... great for the environment that is...:rolleyes:

Yes I know that pretty much all of modern cars are recyclable. I’m also very aware of how they’re recycled...;)
I replied to your other post on the environmental aspects of tungsten and other heavy metals being recycled as poopsed to electronic components. The two just aren’t comparable.

A car is sold with a 3-5 year warranty. Average first-owner lifetime is 8.1yrs now. That’s what cars get designed for. How much longer should they be fault-free in your opinion? How much more would you be willing to pay for a perfect car with a lifetime over say, 15 years? Double?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I replied to your other post on the environmental aspects of tungsten and other heavy metals being recycled as poopsed to electronic components. The two just aren’t comparable.

A car is sold with a 3-5 year warranty. Average first-owner lifetime is 8.1yrs now. That’s what cars get designed for. How much longer should they be fault-free in your opinion? How much more would you be willing to pay for a perfect car with a lifetime over say, 15 years? Double?
So by your figures they become uneconomical to maintain after 8 years and you believe that is good for the environment...
I never suggested a perfect car, just one that is maintainable for longer than 8 years...
How can anyone believe that constantly consuming new is better than maintaining what you already have is better for anyone other than shareholders I don’t know.
I saw your response on the LEDs, It very much depends upon exactly what you are comparing. An individual LED against a Halogen lamp comes out in favour of the LED. Factor in the full unit with all the plastic made and shipped all around the world and then having to scrap the car because it’s uneconomic to maintain after 8 years and the figures no longer stack up.
Not all the materials going into LED headlights are environmentally friendly and they’re made in countries with somewhat lax environmental and H&S laws...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I am with bc here. The only green credentials modern cars, benz( for me so far) have are the ones forced upon them by emissions rules and which we pay a f fortune to keep runing. Green would be making it upgradable and user repairable, both an anathema to modern car makers who often can't make parts last much out of warranty.
Today they design (Craig) to be rubbish at 8.
1 yr how environmental, green is that?

Last edited:
OP
JCP

JCP

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 S350 L AMG Line
Guys,

Just an update on the progress in resolving the headlamp issue.

I visited the dealer today who checked out the problem and it turns out the electronic control unit which is fitted the headlamp assembly is faulty due to water ingress and as they had dealt with this particular headlamp previously with condensation appearing inside the glass when the car was under warranty, they have ordered the replacement parts and will fit them next week, all under goodwill with no cost to me.

My Christmas just feels a bit sweeter

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Seems to me that being green and making money out of it are synonymous, the really good thing for business is that new green laws back sales up so win/win, prime example smart meters which aren’t so smart

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Guys,

I visited the dealer today who checked out the problem and it turns out the electronic control unit which is fitted the headlamp assembly is faulty due to water ingress and as they had dealt with this particular headlamp previously with condensation appearing inside the glass when the car was under warranty, they have ordered the replacement parts and will fit them next week, all under goodwill with no cost to me.

You had a result.fair play to that dealer not often able to say that.
Yr now far more aware of future pitfalls with modern benz, big sigh of relief,this time....

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Guys,

Excellent news,
can you ask them to turn the aim down a bit while they're at it.

But seriously 8.1 years and over £1K for 'each' replacement.
For business use where the mileage is stella, taxi for example, then trading on at a penalising resale value, at say 5 or 6 years, could be justified. But I guess with the extra use comes a shorter life span.

What I see is that the more modern engines now come with design disadvantages (can't say flaws as they are intentional imo)that will boost company revenues.
In fact to question MB's rust periods as intentional becomes reasonable.

While these highly technical and vastly superior LED light units are impressive, can their replacement cost's' be justified when a halogen lamp is just a few quids?
As and when after market solutions are developed, that are likely to involve replacement of the whole unit with a mere halogen enclosure, will the like of MB have persuaded Brussels to outlaw such adaptations as less safe (and reliable to add insult).

Dunhamkid

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222 2015 S350 Bluetec
Hi,

My 2017 WDD2221322A S Class has factory fitted LED lighting throughout the car, as standard.

The nearside headlamp has now developed a fault. The normal running lights are fine although the headlamp inner light emitting lamp, for what would traditionally be dipped beam, has started flickering continuously when the headlamps are on. The offside lamp is working fine.

Any ideas about what the fault could be? Is it possible to repair this light fault or does a complete new headlamp need to be bought?

If it can be repaired, does anyone know the process and what headlamp part would be required? Is it something which I can replace myself, with just traditional hand tools?

If it requires a complete new headlamp, has anyone any information of the likely costs and does this need setting up on STAR?

Thanks in advance of your help with this.
Not sure if this helps but would changing Item 150 help? It is a voltage convertor for the headlamp

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 19.30.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 19.30.11.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 13

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
My MK1 Ford Granada is 43 years old and still looks and drives like new.... it all depends on how you look after them (and to be fair, you can do everything yourself on an old Ford :) )

Back on topic, My 2010 S Class was written off in June this year after a very low speed accident that took out the front bumper, wing and bonnet, more more expensively, the Night Vision nearside headlight.... "Category S" Beyond economical repair.... The car was owned new by the MD of Aldi and was a very high spec, over £90,000 when new... 10 years though is a long time in the car industry and I do love the replacement W222 I bought!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I with you. 40 yr old Ford a diy design. Who changed that ? And for who, s benifit? In a few yrs we won't be able to get the wheel off to change pads without a special tool dreamed up for the job and we will have to buy wheel hub, disc, caliper to get the pads,, far fetched? Not confident

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom