Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
These particular bulbs are E13 !

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Just going to add a little to this thread, cars involved in front end collisions where lighting may have even been a small factor, bulbs are now checked for conformity, crossed checked for compliance against the vehicle specs, if found to be none compliant instant withdrawal of the insurance leaving the owner left with all costs and not being able to get insurance.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Not talking e marks here, I'm saying must be same spec type approval, and yes investigators do go to detail of checking serial/part numbers of smashed bulbs

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You can complain and moan as much as you like. The simple fact is that if you fit non e-marked bulbs your car becomes illegal. It you want to change the law write to your MP or get yourself onto the ECE panel.
I can tell you from personal experience what getting into a national agency lighting panel is like, and it’s not easy.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
Was that not just for main beam?
I'm not entirely sure now,,,, nor why I wrote to them. I think it was a bar room discussion.
Mind you, now I'm thinking back, my dad gave me a huge spot-light from his lorry, with a 100w bulb. I never did use it.

Also, why aren't spot-lights available now ? They only come as 'driving' lights etc.

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Also, why aren't spot-lights available now ? They only come as 'driving' lights etc.
Same stuff different name.

And yes you can buy spot-lights/driving lights and fix them on any car. Be aware of Can-bus systems though, get the right bulbs.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
They are... I had 4 x Hella 2,000 rally lights on my SIII Land Rover back in the day and I've 6 x Nordic Lights on my current Land Rover. I have spot and wide on the front and super-wide on the rear. They're made for forestry machines working north of the arctic circle in winter so as you can imaging they're a tad bright...

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
Same stuff different name.

And yes you can buy spot-lights/driving lights and fix them on any car. Be aware of Can-bus systems though, get the right bulbs.
Most of 'em don't have a clear lens,,,, rather a ridged one, for beam spread.
Not sure where I would put a pair on this car.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Spot lights are still available - you just have to know where to look. There are some that are adjustable by turning the housing too :)

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I experimented with HIDS in my dipped on my preface but took them out after a few weeks as I felt I was dazzling people. Nightbreakers give enough ullumination on unlit roads, for me anyway. I tried HIDs in the fogs too but again, just didn't look right so changed to Nightbreakers.

I do have leds in the front sides and the numberplate as the sides especially looked very yellow.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When Mercedes first published pictures of GLA prototype, it had roof mounted spotlights / DRLs.

I thought they were really cool.

Obviously accountants got their grabby mitts on them, so no trace was left in real world car, regardless of a trim / package.

I wouldn't mind something like that on my car. Maybe when I'm able afford a good 3D printer.

I'll see if I got a pic somewhere ... found it:

Mercedes-Benz GLA 1.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When Mercedes first published pictures of GLA prototype, it had roof mounted spotlights / DRLs.

Obviously accountants got their grabby mitts on them, so no trace was left in real world car, regardless of a trim / package.

I wouldn't mind something like that on my car. Maybe when I'm able afford a good 3D printer.

View attachment 47165
I had roof mounted lights on my Defender. They were a pain in the backside.
The glare off the bonnet was horrendous (and that was with matt black chequerplate on the bonnet too)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The glare off the bonnet was horrendous (and that was with matt black chequerplate on the bonnet too)
Mine fit just below the roof rack so don't impede long loads on the roof rack and they don't glare off the bonnet - the wide ones illuminate it but not so it distracts. I cannot recommend them highly enough. Loads of off-roaders fit light bars on the roof these days, the nordic lights I have are much betterer.
Off Road Show 2.jpg

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If I were to re-create these, I'd just fit a single eagle eye LED each side - as you know, for me, appearance takes precedence over function, most of the time :rolleyes:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had four of these:
xlite1_1.jpg

And 2 Lightforce Striker 170s.
The Lightforces were the troublesome ones. Bright as but really reflected badly off any white paint on the bonnet.
The little X-lites were much better but had poor range.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score

View attachment 47165
Reminds me of when I bought my first Quartz Iodine spot lamp - about 1965. I could only afford one, so put it on the roof of my Consul. You will recall that they were so good, that they were banned for M.C.Rally - via Paddy Hopkirk and Mini. The problem was, that it was so good, that I couldn't see through the beam if it was pointing to road height !?
I also used to put a fog-light on the rear - there's nothing worse than trying to reverse in really dark places - even now, standard reversings aren't great !

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom