LED's for headlights etc ??

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
These were rated as a 100% improvement
( Philips and Osram 501 LED ) so still low output and non razzle dazzle as stock is inadequate .
They're quality items as both have light diffusers but I'd pick the Philips with it's ceramic body and 12 year warranty .

Is this also true of head light bulbs; Philips is the better buy - for any reason ?

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I also used to put a fog-light on the rear - there's nothing worse than trying to reverse in really dark places - even now, standard reversings aren't great !
My reversing lights are LEDs - reasonably bright, so can see okay, and the reversing cam image is quite good too.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i just want to be able to see where i am going ! aclass mains are crap, i am changing to nightbreakers i soo old i didnt realise i needed 2 in each light so i am now waiting 2 more think it 1 h7 1 h4 already cant remember.......

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
i just want to be able to see where i am going ! aclass mains are crap, i am changing to nightbreakers i soo old i didnt realise i needed 2 in each light so i am now waiting 2 more think it 1 h7 1 h4 already cant remember.......
I put night breakers into my wife's B and they are really good.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
Hi,
whilst looking to buy, I came across this latest offering from Osram: Night Breaker Laser +150% H7.
Anyone used them ?

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
That looks like a damn good test bed.
Steven Rolfes comments about what constitutes +150% or 50% is something I was already thinking about.
At the end of the day, I want better lights - I'm not bothered about "so called" claims, & the AE testing results seem to be well founded.
I'm disabled and don't have time or ability to try out different bulbs - hence my plea on here.
I'm going for a pair of Philips Racing Vision - although they only have a lifetime of 200 hours (I assume that's 'max' !) Other models weren't listed, but I know that ALL higher power bulbs last shorter than the norm.
I'll let you know where I get them and the price.
No doubt i'll be back after trying them, to give my opinion of results.
Now,,,,, back to the sides and reversers.
Thanks to all you contributors.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Racing Vision is particularly short @ 200 hrs , the Ring Xenons are in the region of 350 hrs so the better bet .

All performance halogen but Xenon gas filled to high pressure are a disappointing warm white .

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That looks like a damn good test bed.
Steven Rolfes comments about what constitutes +150% or 50% is something I was already thinking about.
At the end of the day, I want better lights - I'm not bothered about "so called" claims, & the AE testing results seem to be well founded.
I'm disabled and don't have time or ability to try out different bulbs - hence my plea on here.
I'm going for a pair of Philips Racing Vision - although they only have a lifetime of 200 hours (I assume that's 'max' !) Other models weren't listed, but I know that ALL higher power bulbs last shorter than the norm.
I'll let you know where I get them and the price.
No doubt i'll be back after trying them, to give my opinion of results.
Now,,,,, back to the sides and reversers.
Thanks to all you contributors.
Quite simply... The brightest HAL lamps out there are Osram’s Nightbreaker Unlimited series. Thats brightest by test and by datasheet. Go to Ring and try to find datasheets on brightness beyond the “+150%” and you’ll see they don’t publish it.

NB Unlimited beat Philips RV lamps by 100lm nominal in each form factor.

The AE tests are utter twaddle, they’re done without proper methodology or control. They COULD do it properly but it wouldn’t suit their agenda.

Btw. The lifetime in hours is a nominal, not a maximum rated figure. It’s what one would typically expect. 300 hours equates to 3.5 years of driving at 12k miles per year.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
Anyone know the 'life' of the Osram Night Breaker Laser ?
I went on the Ring site yesterday. https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/b...enz&model=E-CLASS+Saloon&year=2005+-+2009&l=1
I can't recall the details, but was about to get the +130% because of the AE tests and marks.
I thought the AE accounts were pretty good, as they are tested in 'normal' road conditions - not just lab tests.
Updating light bulbs is new to me - never thought about it before - so am learning much.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've found lifespan of them all pretty much the same (in real life) except the Racing Visions.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
Luckily I only do 5000 miles yearly, and only have heads on at night. I'd like to use sides as daylights, but I'm embarrassed to turn them on in day light !?
I've just dropped a line to Osram so will share their comments here.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Anyone know the 'life' of the Osram Night Breaker Laser ?
I went on the Ring site yesterday. https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/b...enz&model=E-CLASS+Saloon&year=2005+-+2009&l=1
I can't recall the details, but was about to get the +130% because of the AE tests and marks.
I thought the AE accounts were pretty good, as they are tested in 'normal' road conditions - not just lab tests.
Updating light bulbs is new to me - never thought about it before - so am learning much.
In H7 form factor, 300 hours nominal.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
Replies from Osram:
As we have been saying, it's either lifespan or brightness - and never the twain,,,,
They also say "If you would like to have more light than standard but better lifetime there is another alternative available : Night Breaker Silver".
Their data sheets show lifespan of 150hrs to 250hrs for Laser. The Silver are better, but with less brightness.
They seem to be very helpful.
The last couple of pages shows me that the choice is between the original two that I was looking at; Philip Xtreme & Osram Nightbreaker.
There are stronger one out there,,,
There are longer living ones out there,,,
There are prettier ones out there,,,
As the nights start drawing in tomorrow,,,, it's time to get it sorted - tee hee
I was hoping that someone would confirm whether the Philips ones were better built & quality (a la the sidelights),,, or that Osram were better because ???
If nothing else pops up, I think I'll go for an Osram of some sort,,,, probably standard Nightbreaker.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In my experience quality wise there is nothing in it between Philips and Osram. In terms of lighting the Osram squeaks it in my view unless you get the Racing Vision Philips bulbs.

OP
Omega

Omega

Reaction score
I've eventually made my mind up, to try the Unlimited. Although I note that there are two types; 110% and 130%.
Do they supply two sorts, or has one superseded the other ?
Am now searching for best price - from reputable/pos feedback - suppliers !?
Back soon

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Why the older bulbs ?

The Unlimited and Laser didn't place too well in the AE previous H7 test .

1. Philips RacingVision
2. Ring Xenon130
3. GE Megalight Ultra +130
4. Bosch Gigalight Plus 120
5. Osram Night Breaker Unlimited
6. Philips X-tremeVision +130
7. Twenty20 daylight120
8. Osram Night Breaker Laser
9. M-tech Powertec Platinum

Iirc the evolution of the Night Breakers has been,

Plus +90
Unlimited +110
Laser +130
Laser Next Generation +150

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Replies from Osram:
As we have been saying, it's either lifespan or brightness - and never the twain,,,,
They also say "If you would like to have more light than standard but better lifetime there is another alternative available : Night Breaker Silver".
Their data sheets show lifespan of 150hrs to 250hrs for Laser. The Silver are better, but with less brightness.
They seem to be very helpful.
The last couple of pages shows me that the choice is between the original two that I was looking at; Philip Xtreme & Osram Nightbreaker.
There are stronger one out there,,,
There are longer living ones out there,,,
There are prettier ones out there,,,
As the nights start drawing in tomorrow,,,, it's time to get it sorted - tee hee
I was hoping that someone would confirm whether the Philips ones were better built & quality (a la the sidelights),,, or that Osram were better because ???
If nothing else pops up, I think I'll go for an Osram of some sort,,,, probably standard Nightbreaker.

Don’t bother with Nightbreaker Laser. They’re a snake oil marketing fluff; Nightbreaker Unlimited have identical brightness with longer lifetime and are cheaper.

OEM standard lamps have 1000hr nominal working lives. Made by Osram, Philips, GE etc. But they’re typically only 75% of the brightness of performance lamps.

In terms of build quality, what do you mean? Service lives and performance are all nominally the same across manufacturers, there’s little to choose between them. Usually the sales rep with the best freebies gets the deal.

Just FYI I deal with Osram’s senior field apps manager personally every six weeks or so on a professional basis.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom