Limp Mode after ESL issues

Alan32195

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Class 2008 c220 cdi sport
Hi all, my C220 CDI 2008 has gone in to limp mode after I had issues with the esl(?) motor on the steering column. I had an issue whereby I’d put my key in and there would be no connection, no lights even when I turned the key. I looked around and found a suggestion to tap the steering column / steering lock motor, which I did and managed to then get the car started but now it’s in limp mode. Do I need a new esl or can I get a diagnostics machine to clear it?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Is the engine management light on?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok so the engine isn't in limp mode - if it were the engine light would be on.
Best bet would be a star session to see what codes it's thrown.

OP
A

Alan32195

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so the engine isn't in limp mode - if it were the engine light would be on.
Best bet would be a star session to see what codes it's thrown.
Thanks. I’ll get that done. Is it also correct that you only get 20 starts once in limp mode before it shuts down? Does the car think it’s been tampered with or stolen?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Your steering lock won't be connected to a loss of power or limp mode, its a lock which has a communication stream to the EIS and engine ECU but has no bearing on what the engine does.

So I am afraid to say you have another fault to look at!

OP
A

Alan32195

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your steering lock won't be connected to a loss of power or limp mode, its a lock which has a communication stream to the EIS and engine ECU but has no bearing on what the engine does.

So I am afraid to say you have another fault to look at!
Thanks. It’s a strange one as it was fine before the key issue and now it’s in limp. Only other things I checked before tapping the steering column was all fuses related to ignition

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Nothing more than a coincidence I think matey, they do happen.

If I had a pound for every fault that I created after working in a completely different area of the car I could retire.

I did a CLK this morning. Did a 4 wheel alignment and adjusted the tracking and as soon as I finished the boot flew up because the catch had failed....didnt even open the boot!

OP
A

Alan32195

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1E4939F0-B28C-41B6-855C-BC0711778E09.jpeg
Nothing more than a coincidence I think matey, they do happen.

If I had a pound for every fault that I created after working in a completely different area of the car I could retire.

I did a CLK this morning. Did a 4 wheel alignment and adjusted the tracking and as soon as I finished the boot flew up because the catch had failed....didnt even open the boot!
Seems to be the case here. Just had a diagnostics run. Threw up 3 codes that I’ll post (22DD, 22EO & 2054). Codes were cleared but still in limp mode and also have engine light

domwild

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI W204
Hi all, my C220 CDI 2008 has gone in to limp mode after I had issues with the esl(?) motor on the steering column. I had an issue whereby I’d put my key in and there would be no connection, no lights even when I turned the key. I looked around and found a suggestion to tap the steering column / steering lock motor, which I did and managed to then get the car started but now it’s in limp mode. Do I need a new esl or can I get a diagnostics machine to clear it?
This is not called "limp mode" when you no longer are able to start, limp mode means it harshly moves into R or D and in Drive it has moved into 2nd gear and will not change gears even up to 3,000RPM.

Your problem has been my problem with the ESL motor losing it carbon brushes. $5 motor from China and DIY or $2,000 repair from stealership.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom