Little red dots all over the paintwork

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
I've only just noticed little red dots over all the offside of my car. My neighbour sprayed his front fence over the weekend with the same colour. I'm waiting to go home and have stern words with him tonight:mad: . A colleague of mine is a amateur detailer (he has about a £1000 per worth of cleaning and polishing products in his garage) said he will polish it for me on Saturday which hopefully should take it out.

My concern is that it doesn't polish out and where do I go from there.

BarryG

Reaction score
noops said:
I've only just noticed little red dots over all the offside of my car. My neighbour sprayed his front fence over the weekend with the same colour. I'm waiting to go home and have stern words with him tonight:mad: . A colleague of mine is a amateur detailer (he has about a £1000 per worth of cleaning and polishing products in his garage) said he will polish it for me on Saturday which hopefully should take it out.

OK with my recent posts about staying calm ringing in my ears.
I would suggest saving the stern words until after trying the softly softly approach. He may not know it has happened and be as shocked as you.
If the reasonable approach doesnt work then go for stern.
Barry

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
noops said:

Next door, :D Most fence sprays are water based and should come off with I light T cut.

Malcolm

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As Malcolm says, chances are that the base of the paint splash is differerent to the cars bae chemical.
Case in point, The wife regularly clips the garage door frame with the Jeep. Not her fault, it's a bugger and I've done it myself a couple of times but still. I used to clean off the gloss paint from the plastic (painted) wheelarch with Tcut. It was tricky and took a while but worked. However, after a few cycles, the paint was starting to go a bit thin.
Then I had a flash of inspiration. I now clean it off with white spirit. Comes off a lot more easily and doesn't harm the car's paintwork. A quick coat of polish after and all is well.
So, assuming it's water based (ask your neighbour) I'd start by trying to just dampen it up with a wet sponge - with a bit of effort, it may well just wash off!

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
noops said:

just put a badge on the boot "Mary Quant Limited Edition"

BarryG

Reaction score
You could try Coca Cola too <<< no joke.
They did a test on Myth Busters on Discovery channel.
Coke beat proprietry chrome cleaners handsdown in one test.
Just make sure to rinse with water. Or you will have a trail of wasps after you.

OP
noops

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
Hopefully my colleague should be able to get it out. My neighbour is yet to come home, but it probably is best if I use a more tactile approach.

shooter

Reaction score
Website
www.refinedreflections.co.uk
Spots will more than lightly be removed by just using a clay bar and spray lubricant. Its a very simple job and one that anyone with a little over a tenner can do (Meguiars Quick Detailing Clay kit from Halfords or other car part stores)

The clay will also remove ingrained contaminates all without harming your paintwork if used correctly and with the lubricant. Your mate should have this and be able to fit the prob in less than an hour.

Please don't try T-Cut, not only does it contain ammonia which will over time harm the paint, but also the cutting properties are way to course even for hand application.

sankey

Banned
Reaction score
BarryG said:
You could try Coca Cola too <<< no joke.
They did a test on Myth Busters on Discovery channel.
Coke beat proprietry chrome cleaners handsdown in one test.
Just make sure to rinse with water. Or you will have a trail of wasps after you.

was it diet coke or normal,,also would it work with the cheap stuff from aldi..

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
should just wash off with car shampoo, and a little elbow grease.

i should tackle it ASAP because these things are designed to stain, ie the paintwork

OP
noops

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
My colleague detailed my car yesterday and all of the red dots have now gone, he spent the best part of seven hours on the car and he is still not happy with it, he wants to do it again next weekend. I'm very happy with the job he did, on the way home I pulled up alongside a six month old W203 in my colour and that did not shine or look as fresh as mine did.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
noops said:
My colleague detailed my car yesterday and all of the red dots have now gone, he spent the best part of seven hours on the car and he is still not happy with it, he wants to do it again next weekend. I'm very happy with the job he did, on the way home I pulled up alongside a six month old W203 in my colour and that did not shine or look as fresh as mine did.

Hey Noops, got some fences that need painting around here. :cool:

malcolm

OP
noops

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
Malcolm, I will be there in ten minutes with my sledge hammer:lol:

OP
noops

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
Some photos of my car that were taken on Saturday some 'befores' and some 'afters'.

Attachments

• IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0766.JPG
    IMG_0766.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 23

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Looking very nice indeed, and your wheels are unbelievably clean

OP
noops

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
Blobcat said:
Looking very nice indeed, and your wheels are unbelievably clean
He had some solution that he sprayed on them and them he sprayed some water on them and then he dried them it looked so easy.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A note of caution. I'm guessing that was an acid solution, whilst very good at removing brake dust it does nothing for the long term appearance of the wheels and can corrode the brake calipers quite badly.

OP
noops

noops

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c43 AMG
The solution is Meguirs acid-free cleaning solution it costs £8.99 a bottle.

Top Bottom