London ULEZ conundrum

PaulThomasFarrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Prem Btec A
Hello Merc Mates,

Thanks again for all the supportive messages after my nasty collision with a horizontal barrier! Car repaired and good as new. Pics below. Currently still fighting with who is going to pay but I'm making ground.

Todays issue is this. I sold my old trusty E320 CDI because it wasn't ULEZ compliant. Bought the 15 plate E220 because it was compliant. (Wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been)

The number plate was KW15 *** and clearly stated as exempt at the showroom where we bought the car. I changed the VRM to a private plate X3*** and boom, auto pay taking £12.50 per day. So I wrote and explained and submitted both V5's, plus a logical argument that as the previous was exempt as it's the SAME F'ing car so to should this?

Reply asking me to submit certificate of conformity...... But they know it's exempt........It always has been.....Any idea folks.

I am aware that most DVLA/CC/ULEZ Nobbers are working from home and probably a bit too tied up with breakfast TV to be bothered to put in some effort and join the dots.

Won't lie, I hate this car. Non stop problems one way or another.

Before and after repair pics

On we go.

Attachments

• IMG_7231.jpeg
    IMG_7231.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7737.jpeg
    IMG_7737.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: DSK

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I’m in the same position. Bought an S class having ran some similar number plates on auto trader for the same model year car into the TfL checker. Ulez was not a requirement for me but, it was nice to know at least one of the cars now would be.

My car came with a private plate on and with that it’s showing as not ulez complaint on the checker.

You would think the vehicle type information would be what’s held in their databases and therefore whatever plate is on it shouldn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Was the previous car the number plates were on not ULEZ compliant?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised that they’re running an old database…

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
The key is whether your V5 shows Euro 6 on it. I can't explain why just changing the plates would suddenly change anything, but I know my W212 (which is compliant) wasn't showing as compliant on the checker so I had to go down the route of getting confirmation from MB, sending it to DVLA with old V5 etc.

All sorted now but a bit of a faff. It's worth the effort though as more and more cities launch emission zones...

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
DVLA are rapidly becoming pointless, IMHO. Boss's Defender got stolen 3yrs ago, never recovered. He replaced his Disco 4 back in December, and we got talking about the private reg he had on the Defender... I said he'd missed the window to reclaim it, but ran a search on it anyway - no mention of it being stolen, so put it on retention and reassigned it to Disco 5! :rolleyes: They don't seem to have the faintest idea what's going on.

Last edited:

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
The key is whether your V5 shows Euro 6 on it.
The V5s for my modern vehicles make no mention of Euro 5 or 6 compliance.

They do show Exhaust Emissions for CO, NOx & HC+NOx but no reference, as far as I can see to compliance; am I looking in the wrong place?

NJSS

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
The V5s for my modern vehicles make no mention of Euro 5 or 6 compliance.

They do show Exhaust Emissions for CO, NOx & HC+NOx but no reference, as far as I can see to compliance; am I looking in the wrong place?

NJSS
I have just checked the V5s on our three cars.

On the older one, issued in 2018, there is no reference to Euro status.

On the ones issued in the last eighteen months, there's a line which specifically lists Euro status. It's on page 2 of our V5s, under the heading "Vehicle details". On the left hand side, after date of first registration and Make and Type, comes a "Euro Status" line which on my W212 now says "Euro 6". There was nothing in there previously, which was causing the problem.

So no, I don't think you are missing anything but you might have a slightly older version of the V5 for some reason? I should also add I live in Wales so have a bilingual version whether I want it or not, so that might have a bearing.

All I know is that once I supplied the confirmation to the DVLA alongside the old V5 they issued a new one quite quickly with the missing Euro 6 info added, and that then fed through to the online checker.

Hope that helps.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Many thanks Altamar.

I have been unable to persuade TfL that my 2016 Discovery is Euro6 despite having ADblue.

I think I'm going to have ask the DVLA to reissue the V5 with an indication of "Euro Status".

NJSS

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
You should have the Certificate of Conformity with the manual etc for the car. Ours is in a bright yellow card wallet with printing on it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Many thanks Altamar.

I have been unable to persuade TfL that my 2016 Discovery is Euro6 despite having ADblue.

I think I'm going to have ask the DVLA to reissue the V5 with an indication of "Euro Status".

NJSS
Given new cars had to confirm to EU6 from September 2015 that's pretty ridiculous!

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Reading all these posts makes me glad I have a petrol car.
You all have my sympathy trying to deal with a government department at the moment.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
I have a better solution?.....well for me anyway......just keep away from going into London by car.....Period!....and yes i know not easy for everyone esp if you work and have family there

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I found this for mine, I wander if they will accept that.

A post further up said avoid London, which I do but the reason for getting something ulez compliant, not only for me but many is that more and more cities will jump on the bandwagon. I understand Birmingham, Bath and Derby have it also and for me it’s just nice to have at least one of my cars that’s complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
From experience I can say that TFL are behind with their updating of number plates. By maybe 2 weeks.

Maybe soon their site will update and show the car to be exempt, then it should be possible to demonstrate their error, especially with the email from DVLA showing the date of transfer.

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Given new cars had to confirm to EU6 from September 2015 that's pretty ridiculous!
You're right and I think I heard somewhere that some of the databases assume any car from 2016 is compliant, but for any car before that they go looking at the DVLA database.

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I have a better solution?.....well for me anyway......just keep away from going into London by car.....Period!....and yes i know not easy for everyone esp if you work and have family there
Sadly it's not just about London. Zones are in or on their way this year in Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Manchester and Portsmouth. Bristol council hate cars so they won't be far behind.

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Sadly it's not just about London. Zones are in or on their way this year in Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Manchester and Portsmouth. Bristol council hate cars so they won't be far behind.
Birmingham's already there. Twice a month I have to take my mother-in-law to the QE hospital; as my car is only Euro 4, I have to go round the ring road. If I had to go into the city centre, I'd probably use Park-and-ride...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom