Maf Failure Symptoms - My Experiences On Board A 1999 E200 Classic

heavy747

Reaction score
Hello Chaps

Sadly I have lived with MAF failure for few months now and finally got around to repairing the culprit...........MAF so innocent and clean but totally kaput!!

SYMPTOMS OF MAF FAILURE

1. Morning start up lots of backfire (popping noise under bonnet) and a total embarassment when you drive a Mercedes specially!! Car moves very slowly and hesistantly as a result for a while and pedestrians think you are curb crawling!! Pressing the accelerator makes movement even slower until car warms up.
2. Car would move very slowly forwards and lacked power and symptoms got steadily worse.
3. Car felt very underpowered and heavy - like it was carrying a lot of weight.
4. Some gear changes were not firm and clutch slippage would occur not all the time but happened.
5. The whole MAF failure is slow and symptoms got steadily worse and profound with time.
6. Going up hills got slower and slower (this triggered my thoughts something not right). Eventually a 10% incline hill climbed at 15MPH!!
7. Gearbox showing signs of slippage during change oddly on the same spots on the road journey!!!
8. Engine rev counter did not go beyound 2K revs per minute when driving but would go through whole range when stationary.
9. Car slowed down and hesistated as soon as a incline was met on the road.
10. Pressing accelerator mad no differnce pressing it would infact make car hold back on power and hesitate more!
11. Manual selection of gears made no difference - car slowed down further to clawing pace car just confused.
12. Petrol consumption higher.
13. Cleaning a clean MAF made no difference.
14. Start up engine worse point with backfiring and slow movement of car until warm.
15. Car just generally drove like a slug.
16. Engine would die or loss revs at traffic lights when coming to standstill - rev counter would flicker and level off.

I replaced MAF today bought from German and Swedish Heathrow for £45+VAT took 5 minutes to do - dead simple. Car revs freely through complete range when driving and gear changes are firm and confident. Also kickdown is back - sadly missed until today.

I hope this helps.
Heavy747

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That must be the best £45 + that you ever spent. You do not say what car you have, but in the case of a diesel the high and faster air flow can damage the sensor more quickly than a petrol car.

Nice feeling though when you have done it yourself.

Ron Palfrey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C280 Elegance 1994
A 1999 E200 Classic ? As per his title line ?

Ron

OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
Mercedes 1999 E200 Classic Petrol

Sorry forgot to add it's a petrol car!!:)

alexspurs61

Reaction score
Mine has some of the same symptoms - hesitancy at speed (well, not that fast - it's an E200 too!:D ) and a bit odd when cold - so I'll give it a go....

....is it really that easy though? Basic tools and willingness I have, expertise I don't :?
cheers

OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
It's Tha Easy!!

All you need is a flat blade screwdriver and elbow grease!!! Turn engine off then disconnect MAF wiring followed by MAF removal. Replace with new one and if rubber seals offer resistance use washing liquid to smear over rubber seals. I this is OK - don't be afraid just take your time and do it!!

Best of luck
heavy747:D :D

OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
German and Swedish

Go to the trade counter at German and Swedish with your log book of your car just incase and they will work out the rest...........no worries whatosever

kays

Reaction score
mate would you have the post code for Germany and Swedish on your invoice as i stay very far from heathrow, or even their phone number. thanks sounds like a good idea.

OP
heavy747

heavy747

Reaction score
Address Link

Heathrow - HQ & Mail Order Centre

German Swedish & French
The Planet Centre
Armadale Road
Feltham (nr Heathrow Terminal 4)
TW14 0LW
Tel: +44(0)20 8917 3888