MB no answer

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Friday afternoon I Emailed 2 MB dealers asking for more details of cars they had for sale, so far no answer, one was Birmingham, I forget where the other one was to. Makes you think what happens if I had a complaint

Malcolm

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Glad it's not just the London dealers that are arrogant tits then. Have you tried MB Marsh Barton? I found them nice to deal with.

124coupe

Reaction score
MB is in a time warp - caused by being run by accountants for a while, evidence:

They don't "do" email in the UK (for parts, sales or service).
(BMW answer in minutes and attach car specs, quotes etc as PDFS)

They think SATNAV is new and therefore can be £1000+ and get away with 2003-level functionality and a 2-year old map with £250 updates. Oh, and its THEIR map so you can't add anything useful of your own to it...
(versus £199 Tomtom functionality)

They think Bluetooth is new and therefore can be flaky, £400 and should look like a starship enterprise scale model taking up the whole of your armrest. As Bluetooth is only for the bleeding edge customers, cradles for phones for normal people can be £131 each and can ignore all but one of your numbers for your business contacts.
(versus fabulous Parrott functionality)

Hopefully the new head of MB will do a bit of vorsprung before too long...

bitonw

Reaction score
Website
www.bit4net.com
I've send some emails to both Mercedes Benz Direct Birmingham & Mercedes Benz Central Birmingham. And guess what... say no more. They still live in the dark ages... eh email? what is that? :( Can you imagine! Our cars are full of high end electronics (fiber etc) they have to repair that!!! :confused: No way.

@124coupe, Thanks you took the words out of my mouth.

MB here on this Island are the biggest bunch of arrogant a$$h0le's I ever met. Their hour tariffs are more than a good lawyer and their work is of a brain less child. :mad: And don't speak about Customers Service since that word isn't in their dictionary. It very very sad but true. I service my vehicle in Belgium... Cheaper, better and a nice day out with some read chips :cool: (frietjes).

And indeed Mercedes Benz has to come with some more advanced technology at a better price. But the good news is that there is a big after market with loads of (better & cheaper) products for our Mercedes Benz vehicles. Just google on the Internet and you will find them. :grin:

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
stumpy said:
Glad it's not just the London dealers that are arrogant tits then. Have you tried MB Marsh Barton? I found them nice to deal with.

Intersting. I had problems with them two years ago and showed them the complaints from this forum. Since then it has been a joy to visit them in every way.

Malcolm

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
124coupe said:
MB is in a time warp - caused by being run by accountants for a while, evidence:

They don't "do" email in the UK (for parts, sales or service).
(BMW answer in minutes and attach car specs, quotes etc as PDFS)

They think SATNAV is new and therefore can be £1000+ and get away with 2003-level functionality and a 2-year old map with £250 updates. Oh, and its THEIR map so you can't add anything useful of your own to it...
(versus £199 Tomtom functionality)

They think Bluetooth is new and therefore can be flaky, £400 and should look like a starship enterprise scale model taking up the whole of your armrest. As Bluetooth is only for the bleeding edge customers, cradles for phones for normal people can be £131 each and can ignore all but one of your numbers for your business contacts.
(versus fabulous Parrott functionality)

Hopefully the new head of MB will do a bit of vorsprung before too long...
I am going to miss my Camara data base when I have the command, I see that the have a new disc out with Active trafic, only for certain systems though my one will not be wide screen. I think that I will add the Garmin speed camara warning system, you do not need it on show.

Malcolm

bitonw

Reaction score
Website
www.bit4net.com
Sure Malcolm,

But why can't a Comand system of more than £1000 not doing this kind of options? The point is that relevant cheap equipment can do the job... They out price them selfs. The technology is there but they simply don't use it. :sad:

BTW, email. Yeah, to advanced for lots of companies and not only with Mercedes Benz. I had the same experience then I drove Lexus...

Hope they will come back to you soon.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
bitonw said:
Sure Malcolm,

Hope they will come back to you soon.

It does not matter now as I have bought one else where.

malcolm

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
television said:
It does not matter now as I have bought one else where.

malcolm

That's what I did. And I was getting the first reply from some dealers, by e-mail, weeks after I'd done the deal.

Give us the news. Did you get what you wanted. Spec? Pics??:) And did you find what I did that the extras on the car are often not the same as those listed on websites. And extras listed are often standard equipment. Not really 20thC yet IMO

Last edited:
OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hawk20 said:
That's what I did. And I was getting the first reply from some dealers, by e-mail, weeks after I'd done the deal.

Give us the news. Did you get what you wanted. Spec? Pics??:)
Its Tellu silver, Panoramic roof, Keyless go telephone low miles, 2 owner, HPI cleared all ok this morning, an 06 2004 car for 02 02 money, its the 500 V8, with the 7 speed tip box that the pre 03 cars did not have, nice wheels, it will be a few days before I get it, as I have to move some money around. I have already been on EBay USA and found some goodies.
Sadly it does not have comfort seats or distronic, but at a £5k saving and a genuine car with the remainder of the warrantee, Yes pic's and mods will follow soon.

malcolm

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
television said:
Its Tellu silver, Panoramic roof, Keyless go telephone low miles, 2 owner, HPI cleared all ok this morning, an 06 2004 car for 02 02 money, its the 500 V8, with the 7 speed tip box that the pre 03 cars did not have, nice wheels, it will be a few days before I get it, as I have to move some money around. I have already been on EBay USA and found some goodies.
Sadly it does not have comfort seats or distronic, but at a £5k saving and a genuine car with the remainder of the warrantee, Yes pic's and mods will follow soon.

malcolm

Sounds a really good deal. Always nice to have some warranty left so can be a bit fussy and get everything just so. What's the 0-60 time with 5 litres on the end of your big toe? And can you actually use all the grunt without planting the tail in a hedge?:)

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hawk20 said:
Sounds a really good deal. Always nice to have some warranty left so can be a bit fussy and get everything just so. What's the 0-60 time with 5 litres on the end of your big toe? And can you actually use all the grunt without planting the tail in a hedge?:)

Alas it take 6 secs to get to 60, that only 1 sec faster than my V70R, the new one does it in 5.5. I do not think that I will ever drive it as fast as I do the Volvo.

Malcolm

124coupe

Reaction score
I had the T5 V70 - best overtaking machine I have ever driven.

The best bit was the look on the 3-series BM-boys faces as the old-mans-chariot left them for dead.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
124coupe said:
I had the T5 V70 - best overtaking machine I have ever driven.

You are right on that,from standstill the wheels spin, its so heavy,OK its still quick, but from 30-40 + its like a rocket.and very sure footed.

malcolm

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
124coupe said:

Thats not quite true.

COMAND does a lot more than just SATNAV, hence the price. It is more accurate than Tom tom's and the like as it uses speed pulse and a Gyro. COMAND even navigates when there are no satellites at all. Upto date maps are available and they cost a lot less than £250. The current 2006 disk is £92. Oh and its not THEIR map its Teleatlas's and you can add upto 100 POI's into your comand.

Will a Tom Tom control a CD changer, telephone, SMS text messaging, DVD, TV, FM/AM radio, IPOD and do it from the steering wheel whilst showing you directions/tracks etc in the instrument cluster? No.

Finally, its very very easy to have a tom tom stolen. Try stealing a COMAND as quick!

124coupe

Reaction score
Well, comand with all you list requires Comand, 6-CD, IPOD, telephone pre wire, a cradle - well over £2000 discounted. My dealer still wants £247 for 5.1 of the Nav DVD.

Any modern car does the radio, CD changer thing as standard.

Comand on the E uses Navteq maps and the release in 5.1 is certainly not up to date versus the Teleatlas level in the Tomtom. The map files are encoded and compressed by the MB app so you cant add POIs of your own.

Being able to laboriously type in addresses (accurate to half a road or a partial postcode unless you then scroll the map view) and then laboriously name them does not constitute POI support. I entered my main customer locations and then lost them all to a firmware update at the first service.

The only place you can't see satellites with modern sirf chips is in a tunnel. The days of losing lock in built up areas are gone - none of the portables bother with accelerometers any more.

I like the integration - I just don't like the compromised level of function at the price that is the current cost of that integration.

SMS on the screen is a distraction - I would much rather have proper phone contact loading support.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom