Merc Battery types

Jonny87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 plate E280 CDI sport
Afternoon all, apologies if this is in the wrong section but I have a bit of an issue that I hope someone would be kind enough to help with!

I have a merc that is not far off being legally able to drink (I fully intend on taking it for a pint in 2026 fyi). The battery has been somewhat of an issue since the beginning of winter but it has now got to a stage where jumping it will only last 3 or 4 weeks max until it needs jumping again.

Having a peruse of Halfords for a new battery has made my wallet sad, however I was wondering if any of you lovely folk would know if it mattered what type of battery I bought?

Halfords suggest I need an AGM, which just happens to be the most expensive on the market (I believe!). My question is, if I were to get an EFB for example, will it be of any use to the car?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Got to Tayna Batteries online, enter your car reg and choose either the Bosch S5 or Varta Silver.

Both are usually the most expensive and good for good reason. I only use these on my 25/30yr cars also, for good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
These cars have lots of electrics, and are sensitive to having the correct battery fitted. If the correct spec is AGM, I would stick with that.

Make sure you get the correct Ah and CCA for your car, also make sure it fits the space, and the connectors fit.

A "go-handle" is nice too.

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
Again, another vote for Tayna Batteries, excellent choice and good quick delivery. Used them many times. You don’t state your model of car but Varta Silver would be my choice and fitted by M-B as standard. The Varta site will have the info so you can choose. Make sure you check overall dimensions of your current battery and and coding or markings as this will determine if AGM or not.

OP
J

Jonny87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 plate E280 CDI sport
Appreciate the responses! Will have a look at Tanya.

Thank you

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I doubt a 2008 W211 needs (or wants) an AGM battery - no stop start

ian lunn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS, E CLASS CONVERTABLE
Just fitted a battery to one of ours, have a look at this place.
https://batterygroup.co.uk
The 80AH AGM Exide cost only £129 inc delivery with 4 year warranty, I have used this place twice now and find there prices and customer service to be exalant,

OP
J

Jonny87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 plate E280 CDI sport
Thanks for the replies! Slight update, had a look & it appears the original battery is still installed. It’s a Varta VRLA - not sure if these are still produced & might explain why it’s being recommended to replace with an AGM.

OP
J

Jonny87

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 plate E280 CDI sport
Tis what Mercedes recommended for my S211.. I thought the same, why…. because the battery is inside the car and incase of an accident apparently. Not sure why on a W211..
Perhaps for the same reason. The battery on the E class is in the boot.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
+1 for Tayna - always good service and fast delivery.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
AGM batteries produce hydrogen (like all batteries) which isn’t released to the atmosphere (unlike lead/acid batteries which is) most of it is consumed by the battery there is a relief valve just in case the battery overheats to allow a small amount of hydrogen to vent

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Don't rule out the main dealers. I bought one a few years ago for my GL, and the dealer was actually cheapest of all the places I tried (all be it by only £1 IIRC) but you get genuine MB (rebadged Varta?) and you know it's the right fitment for the car.

ian lunn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps for the same reason. The battery on the E class is in the boot.
unless its the convertable E class then its under bonnet in corner next to bullkhead, bit of a bugger to lift out and even worse to get new one back in.

harrye500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 W213 OM654 E220 Estate (the main driver) and 2010 A207 E500 (now 'the Summer Car')
unless its the convertable E class then its under bonnet in corner next to bullkhead, bit of a bugger to lift out and even worse to get new one back in.
Correct sir! And most sites list the longer battery which doesn't fit! Ask me how I know ;) . A real back breaker to fasten downa new one, can't quite get that ruddy clamp over the base and then bolt down again - took me hours!

ian lunn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Correct sir! And most sites list the longer battery which doesn't fit! Ask me how I know ;) . A real back breaker to fasten downa new one, can't quite get that ruddy clamp over the base and then bolt down again - took me hours!
Yep took me ages before i realised it had not sat down right ones it was fully down it went in much easer

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom