Merc or Audi

andy from embsay

Reaction score
I know that this is a Merc forum, but now I've got the quotes, includes insurance, maintenance and of course no benefit in kind tax:

E280CDi auto, DVD sat nav, phone wiring, parktronic, iPOD prep:
£636 over 3 years, £687 over 2.
A6 3.0Tdi tiptronic, DVD sat nav, phone, parking aids, lighting pack (xenons that look round corners): £692 over 3 years - 2 years was over £800.

Firm gives me £360 net towards it, so anything else comes from me (but really from my BIK saving). Getting a reasonably poky pay rise too, so not really bothered over £50 here or there.

So - obviously be test driving both but need to make a fairly speedy decision.

Merc pluses: option to take over 2 years, or taking it over 3 years saves £56 a month. I've not had one before, and I've always liked the look of the e-class.
Merc minuses: some reliability questions in the past, "old blokes car"(?), 2WD, stupid foot/hand brake
Audi pluses: Got one and like it, 4WD, quality unquestioned.
Audi minuses: Got one(!), slightly more expensive ('specially over 3 years), auto box not quite as good as new Merc one(?), stupid electronic handbrake.

Stumped - this could come down to the toss of a coin if they both drive well!!

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
They both sound very nice, but of course I am going to say go with the Mercedes :)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'd say go with the merc too. But then I guess I would. I doubt you'd regret either. The 4/2wd doesn't really matter as both handle well. Both are well screwed together and the MB quality issues are pretty much in the past. Having had audis I have to say reliability is pretty comparable. The Merc is cheaper but not enough to swing it. Foot brake irrelevant - given that its an auto I almost never use mine anyway. I think in terms of styling, 'class', perceived exclusivity, and general feel, the merc has it. But you could easily argue the other way too.

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
yep, I think that the merc looks cool too - and there are the odd bell and whistle that is better on the merc - dvd in the COMAND, iPOD compatibility. Although I have of course got the roof bars for the Audi...

maf

Reaction score
go for a merc. you've had an audi
:rolleyes:

got too agree with the old bloke thing tho.:lol:

NewMB

Reaction score
I would also go for the Merc. Looks a lot more stylish and elegant. Foot parking brake.....who needs it? It's an auto.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
There is something undefinable about the look of a Mercedes that no other car seems to be able to even come close to :)

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
Presumably you guys wouldn't subscribe to the "it's an old bloke's car" theory then? Must say I've always liked the look of the e-class (I know what you mean by the 'look'), and from what I've been told the new 280CDi with the 7 speed box goes pretty much like stink, if not quite as loopy as the 320CDi. I'm definitely leaning that way, especially as I can afford to have it over 2 years and then change it again!

Never had an auto - presumably 'park' means it can't roll away?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
andy from embsay said:
Presumably you guys wouldn't subscribe to the "it's an old bloke's car" theory then?

I don't think I look like an old bloke ;)

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
andy from embsay said:
Never had an auto - presumably 'park' means it can't roll away?

yep once it's in park it's going nowhere :)

sitting at traffic lights just rest your foot on the brake pedal to stop the car creeping forwards, hill starts are easy as the car won't roll backwards whilst in gear.

Old mans car??? isn't half the fun having a wolf in sheeps clothing?

I'd go for the Merc but I agree it would be close

Enjoy whatever you choose

Andy

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
Avantgarde, I think - that's got sports suspension, xenons, 7 speed auto and metallic as standard, i think - in "obsidian black" (whatever that is), if that won't make me look too much like a drug dealer.

Is the 'comand' system reasonably easy to work? I really like the MMI thing in the Audi, although I've heard BMW's equivalent is a bit cumbersome.

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
Some deja vu here.
I recall making comment on this on the thread:

E320CDi vs E280CDi

Ah well, the 'old bloke syndrome' must be manifesting itself!

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
Indeed you did, Mr Arrow - but the question has slightly changed - that was about 320 v 280 - that question is decided - the 280'll do everything I need. The question is now whether the 4WD of the audi beats the prestige and 'mercness' of the mercedes!

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
Get both.
The 4wd Audi nicely complements the Mercedes. In our case the decison is whether to use 2 doors or four.

On a serious note, the A4 quattro, or S4, might be more to a pure sporting taste than the bigger A6 Sport.

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
A4's a bit tight in the back for growing children, so last time it was either 5 series, e-class or A6 - the A6 won then because it was quite a bit less money, as the scheme was a 'normal' company car one with benefit in kind based on emissions - not an issue this time, and more money to play with (although the 5 series is silly money, to be honest).

Silver Arrow

Reaction score
I agree that the A6 is a nice comfortable car with oodles of room in the back. Also it has the advantage that the rear seats fold one third/ two thirds and make a level loadspace which I can't do in my Merc. It's therefore almost up to Volvo estate standards for carting odd packages about.
I must say that I feel much more assured whizzing it about with the very capable 4wd system, although it doesn't allow any sillyness with the ESP system. The only option is either On or Off. The distributor sternly lectured me NEVER to switch it off. The older Quattros let you fiddle with diff locks, but the new ones don't.

NewMB

Reaction score
I would never touch the ESP button either. Not worth risking it just to have some fun. However, on a nice straight and dry road you can make the most out of the car.... :cool:

I think there's an option for split/fold rear seats, no?

OP
A

andy from embsay

Reaction score
I think there is that option, NMB, but have them in my Audi - but only foind out after I'd got it I couldn't use it for what I wanted - to put my bike on the back - as the boot opening's too narrow. So not really that crucial, especially as mrs andy has a Picasso mini-MPV thing that turns into a van when required.

So what does "obsidian black" look like then?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom