MERCEDES-BENZ C220 CDI Avantgarde SE Seq

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Looks OK, I doubt that the warranty will be of any use. The C class can be a little cramped in the back.

Reaction score
Hi Concho. You say your wife has a W203, but at the age you said I'm not sure it would have been. Is it the same shape as the one you are looking at? If not then I believe its a w202.

If thats the case then I have the following points to make. I went from an Audi to a w203, a 2003 C240, and I have found the build quality to be "disapointing". Its not terrible but its not what you'd expect from a "prestige" car. If you can afford a 2004+ one (the facelift model) the build quality is much better.

I think going from a VW to the Merc you will also notice the quality issues. Also most people that have owned w202's seem to be "disapointed" with the w203 for a whole bunch of reasons (build quality, reliability etc).

The w203 is nice to drive and I think it looks great to, but at that age some cars have issues. I would see if there is any way you can take it on an extended drive. Check for a knocking from the front. Its no biggie but the front suspension can need work at around 25k miles. Its cheap to fix but if you can get it done by the seller than all the better.

either way, if you go for it I suggest getting a warrantee if possible and, if not, look into MB ServicePlus to make sure you dont end up with any nasty bills.

Also, if you do go for it, and want to change the wheels, let me know as they are the same as mine but the previous owner has kerbed mine a few times.

btw, make sure it has a full Mercedes Service History.

Hope this helps.

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
Thanks for that reply it was really helpfull, but what do you mean that going from a VW to a Merc I will notice that quality issues? And yes I did mean that my wife has a W202. Maybe I should go for a late W202 Diesel? what do you think?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wouldn't worry about Omni, he just regrets not buying a Skoda A6 :cool: I liked the Passat I had when I had it but in no way would I compare it to a MB. Although I have an E which is quite different. I have driven most of the C's and whilst I like them I could never really get on with the interior.

Reaction score
I think you'll find that's a Seat A6 Blobcat ;)

what I meant was that the quality of VW/Audi interiors tends to be better than those in a C-Class at the age you are looking at. This is of course entirely my opinion. I seriously don't want to put you off, hence the suggestion that you drive it an make your own mind up.

its tricky as I have had a lot of trouble from my w203 and very little from my Audi (although I may possibly be looking back more fondly than is deserved) so I may seem a little biased. As I said, the Merc definately has a certain street cred that VW/Audi dont, and mine certainly is nice to drive and to look at. Its just not the jump up I was expecting.

Take it for a spin and make your own mind up. If you like it, and can afford to fix it if it goes wrong, then buy it.

psmart

Reaction score
Adding to omni, take it for a long test drive and make sure you like the Sequentronic gearbox. If your a boy racer or scurry around all the time, it wont be your cup of tea, otherwise its very nice. Basically a 6 speed manual box with an automated hydraulic clutch and it acts exactly as an auto except a tad more jerky on changes, so you get the economy and speed benefits over an auto (auto's sap power, except on the ML270, but thats another story).

D3Less

Reaction score
I bought a 51 reg C270 auto estate a few weeks ago, very pleased with it.
The diesel engine and auto gearbox are a great combination IMHO.
Loads of power and nearly 40 mpg on combined driving.
Mine is an Elegance with every extra in the book, I think that having a few extras 'makes' a car like this.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replys but would I be better off with this, I mean is it going to be that much more uneconomical?

http://www.oakwoodsgroup.com/stockd...enz+C200+Kompresser+Avantgarde+6+Speed+Manual

the diseas-all will be more economical than the 180 but not much, maybe 5-8mpg overall. Given that diesel is more expensive it would probably work out about the same to run. I'd go for the petrol but that's just personal preference.

However, you may want to think about the manual gearbox for 2 reasons. 1) manual Mercs are harder to sell. The average Merc owner wants an auto, not a manual. 2) the C-class has a foot operated parking brake. This is right next to the clutch and apparently takes some getting used to. To start with you end up putting the hand brake on when you think you are pressing the clutch. Then things get all unpleasent and sideways.

You definately need to drive that one and see if you can live with the extra pedal.

psmart

Reaction score
Just to add my extra sixpence worth, Id almost forgot as it was a bland experience. Last weekend I picked up a new Passat hire car, TDI (lowest output), nice car, bit skittish at speed, well built but not in the same league as the C-Class. The VW Phaeton though, now that is a nice car, never driven an S but it felt better than the one I was transported in last year.

Diesels are a lot more economical than petrol (sorry Omni, as a petrolhead turned diesel, this is one area I have to disagree)! Ive just filled up my 1.1 Seicento 30 mins ago and its used 7 Gallons for 200 miles!!! It all depends on how you drive, the good thing being if you drive carefully and turn off the Airconditioning you can get some very good Brown beating economy. Our C220cdi Sequentronic managed 66mpg on a trip to Manchester Airport!

As Omni says though, a vanilla manual wont be a good buy when time comes to resell or to drive. The sequentronic is the better option. Try it (I love it, Id happily have sequentronic in my ML over its Auto box) and go from there. If you dont like it, go Auto, but expect the economy to drop dramatically if you do a lot of town work.

Reaction score
funny I went the other way, from diesel to petrol. Had an oil-burner for 5 years. Very nice car, as I'm sure you are all aware by now, but I don't miss the horrible rattle in the morning or the clouds of smoke.

I'm not going to do the diesel/petrol arguemtn thing becaue I've had both and liked both. My current preference is to petrol but I'm sure I can be swayed back to the dark side for the right car.

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
The Passat is the 130ps and flys, I do 500 miles a week from Brighton to London and back 3 times a week, and get 500 - 550 miles to a full tank of diesel.

Reaction score
I go from near Pulborough (about 15 miles NW of Worthing) to Hungerford in Berks and used to get about 800 miles out of a tank on the Audi (only 110bhp version). The Merc does about 300 miles to a tank. Bit of a shock to start with but the engine is lovely, very smooth and makes a great noise.

psmart

Reaction score
The Passat is the 130ps and flys, I do 500 miles a week from Brighton to London and back 3 times a week, and get 500 - 550 miles to a full tank of diesel.
Brighton to London, Nasty! Back in 1988, used to commute daily from Brighton to London Bridge by train, and got peed off with it because a 5 hour journey, or being dumped at East Croydon was a nightmare. Then took to the car, leaving at 6am, lucky if I got there fo 8-8:30....watch out for he unmarked, darkened out window Sierra's... or am I showing my age :)
The Passat I hired maxed out at ~180km/h so it couldnt have been 130ps, also the economy worked out at around 30mpg, but I was thrashing it and going to vMax most of the journey. I wouldnt say no to a passat, well built, felt solid and refined, but it lacked a certain pezzaz! Also, the C220 can do ~140mph, which Ive always been amazed at how Merc can get the speeds they do compared to other Marques!

psmart

Reaction score
yeah, I think mine tops out at 147mph but there's really nowhere in this country where you can get even close to that these days
Come and joi us Germans... other than that, the 12 mile straight just outside of Boston, Lincs will see you smiling :D

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Ok so it looks like I should really avoid the W203 me thinks. How about something like this then, its alot less money although this one is slightly overpriced. But is the W202 better build quality?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=150079313533&rd=1&rd=1

Cheers

Steve (Concho)

Steve(Concho), it would be really sad if you let a couple of postings put you off. Omni has been disappointed with his C class and IMO he has been unlucky to get a bad one. Others have been delighted with theirs. All cars are like that. A proportion give problems and a proportion are fine. Matter of luck. I had a C class (C180 Classic Auto, 2 litre petrol, no extras, 2002) had it for two years and did over 26,000 trouble free miles in her. Faultless, rattle free. And I thought the quality both inside and out was excellent. More than that, I adored the beautiful lines of what I still think is one of the most beautiful saloons ever made. Nice to drive too and if you get Elegance or Classic the ride is excellent. AvantGarde is a bit harsh for UK roads IMO.

Stick to auto. Go on the Merc website and you can check the fuel economy. There is not much difference in economy or performance between auto and manual on a Mercedes (one of their great attributes). Autos are generally preferred by over 90% of Merc customers and Merc boxes are so good you will never look back.

Buy 2003 onwards (see thread on Galvanising of Mercedes) as all are galvanised after that. Buy with Full MBSH and you get free breakdown cover and 30 year rust guarantee. Best of all, then join Service Plus which is virtually a guarantee and covers all servicing, MOT's, brakes, exhausts etc etc.

Buy from a Merc dealer and you get 12 months guarantee, even if you don't join service plus. Haggle and they are pretty competitive.

Here's a couple of links to try - huge choice available:-
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...e/products/used_cars/all_used_car_search.html

http://www.used-mercedescars.co.uk

http://www.directmercedes.co.uk

D3Less

Reaction score
I think it is harsh to rule out the 203.
As it has been mentioned on here (and all other car forums I have been on) you mainly only here / read negative things on forums.
If everybody posted "my car was totally fine today" it would soon get boring.

Although I have only had my 203 a very short time I would say build quality wise I can't fault it, the interior is fitted together wonderfully.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom