Mercedes Benz World - Brooklands

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
I've been booked in for free here for a Friday night and it's next door to Mercedes World :)

I know a few of you have been and the museum bit changes from time to time but what, in your experience, is the best bang for buck driving thing to have a go on/in?

Not too fussed about the 4X4 experience.

Anything else I should see/do while I'm in the area?

I have a free option for the Saturday night so could use it as a base :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Last year I did an hour in an SL63 AMG . It was one brutal engine . It had some sort of programmable race start that you just floor the accelerator :D:D:D:D:D from stationary . Can't speak for any smaller engines but why would you .
1 hour was easily enough .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Malcolm did a passenger ride in a CLS63 which hugely impressed him.

Aletank

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Mercedes C180k Avantgarde SE Sport Auto
I went a couple of years back, stayed in the Brooklands Hotel also. I did the AMG hour in a E63, I think the 1st hour and last hour of the day is a bit cheaper.
https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/whats-on is good, just around the corner !

OP
PovertySpec

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
Yeah the Brooklands Museum is on the cards, hadn't spotted the 1 hour option.

Wife's paying for the AMG thing so might as well!

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
As mentioned the SL driving experience is fun and good value for money considering fuel and tyres used in that hour.
Brooklands Museum is always worth a visit too. If you stay Saturday night Sunday morning there is a gathering of AMG owners in the overflow car park at 10 am.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I've been booked in for free here for a Friday night and it's next door to Mercedes World :)

I know a few of you have been and the museum bit changes from time to time but what, in your experience, is the best bang for buck driving thing to have a go on/in?

Not too fussed about the 4X4 experience.

Anything else I should see/do while I'm in the area?

I have a free option for the Saturday night so could use it as a base :)
Oh, the things we have to endure !!! That looks to be a great day, enjoy :)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I did the one hour AMG Experience in an E63 a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I won it in a competition but it think the price then was £195.

Brooklands Museum is always worth a visit too.
^Ditto re Brooklands.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003
Last year did the 1/2 hour MB experience in an SL - covered ABS wet and dry stopping, skid pan and circuits for £85. Not the brute power of AMG but a good introductory overview. Instructor was flexible about what we covered so I went for the braod range. Next time I personally would focus on circuits but skid pan was certainly entertaining.

weds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class Estate 350cd, Porsche 928 S4
AMG passenger ride, 15mins for £30 is good fun, certainly shows the handling and power of the AMG saloon/Estate cars

OP
PovertySpec

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
AMG passenger ride, 15mins for £30 is good fun

That's what I'm considering, a 15 minute hoon then some more interesting/useful stuff like the skid pan.

Holding a skid with opposite lock in an auto with TC? Never done that, might come in handy now I've abandoned manual boxes for good :)

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
That's what I'm considering, a 15 minute hoon then some more interesting/useful stuff like the skid pan.

Holding a skid with opposite lock in an auto with TC? Never done that, might come in handy now I've abandoned manual boxes for good :)
It won't come in handy , because on the road you will have hit the kerb/crash barrier/lampost before you have said the words "off gas , steer " :D:D:D:D

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)

On the one hour drive you get to hold a skid with opposite lock without the TC - now that was interesting in an E63! I spent so much time spinning in circles that I felt quite motion sick by the end - and I never feel car sick why I'm driving.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You can't hold a slide with TC on... thats the point of TC.
(At least on road cars).

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
(At least on road cars).

Indeed Alastair and, in spite of what Clarkson, Nedell and others get up to going sideways, with TC is quicker than without.

Alex

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
My traction control did zip on an oily roundabout- lots of sideways :D

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
I did the 4 hour hour session in the SL63 (although it is no longer offered) It couldn't have been better for me as it was absolutely pouring with rain, I wanted to learn the handling characteristics of the car and my ability to handle the car in extreme conditions and speeds.
Spent most of the time on the two tracks trying various TC control settings. I did the skid pan but preferred and requested to spend more time on the track. All in all I learnt a great deal on the course, the instructor was top notch and I drove the car at speeds you wouldn't dare on the roads but it did give me a good insight into the SL63's abilities and my own abilities too. If I had driven my SL63 in a similar manner I'm sure I'd have used enough fuel and worn the tyres sufficiently to more than pay for the course so the excellent instruction was free so to speak. I'd recommend any of the AMG driving courses held at Brooklands.

OP
PovertySpec

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
(At least on road cars).

I meant to type TC off... obv. And ESP/TC isn't infallible, I've had it banging and slipping a few times in the wet :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom