Mercedes C-Class Buying Advice Needed Please

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
We were looking at Insignia SRI's and mt main concern was that the ride is way too hard, so we started to look at SE and Elite, and with that the price rockets!!! I actually hope my dad likes it.
If we do, we may end up putting a deposit down on it, but ill get the VIN anyway and post here afterwards.
This appears to be fully loaded, hope it all works.
Spoke to the seller again and he seems to be genuine enough and says its always been serviced by Merc and/or Merc approved dealer, etc.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Artico? Plenty of horror stories here, but my 204 has Artico and at just under 200,000 miles it is as good as new. The local Volvo dealership was amazed - he initially thought the mileage was 20,000 - and said, 'If that was a Volvo the seat would be baggy and creased by now.' Bit of a put-off when i was browsing in the showroom!

As for the 651 engine giving trouble - all engines give trouble, and there are plenty of vans around with very high mileages on this engine that are still running sweetly.

Yo might be unlucky, but overall Mercs are efficiently engineered and last a long time.

Umble

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ good advice from Umble and what I was trying to say in a balanced way alongside the potential issues...all cars worth having I think can have a few issues.
Loads on here can help you work your way through...

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
So, I went to see if last night. Nice car, beautiful drive, flowed like water. Everything seems to be in order.
Needs an A5 service in 3 months.
Looks like proper leather with no whiteness or cracks.

Its got, what appears to be, a 4 speed auto box, is that right? I put it in D and drove then used the +/- and it only went up to 4 then back to D. Is that right?

Other than that, yes its not as pretty as the Sport edition, but then my Dad being nearly 60, would a Sport be a bit too harsh a drive for him?

Its fully loaded, Sat Nav, Heated Leather, CC, Cruise, 4x EW, Power Folding Mirrors, Bluetooth, I think its DVD too??

Can anyone comment on the gears?

Its a 60/2010. I forgot to get the VIN number.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
So, I went to see if last night. Nice car, beautiful drive, flowed like water. Everything seems to be in order.
Needs an A5 service in 3 months.
Looks like proper leather with no whiteness or cracks.

Its got, what appears to be, a 4 speed auto box, is that right? I put it in D and drove then used the +/- and it only went up to 4 then back to D. Is that right?

Other than that, yes its not as pretty as the Sport edition, but then my Dad being nearly 60, would a Sport be a bit too harsh a drive for him?

Its fully loaded, Sat Nav, Heated Leather, CC, Cruise, 4x EW, Power Folding Mirrors, Bluetooth, I think its DVD too??

Can anyone comment on the gears?

Its a 60/2010. I forgot to get the VIN number.
Make sure it has had a gearbox ATF and filter change at 37500 miles as per it's service requirement . As to gears sounds like a 5g box , not 7g . If it is 5g it will have the transmission dipstick tube in engine bay . The 7g box is filled from underneath the car with no dipstick tube in the engine bay .

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It should be a 7g box in the 2010 model. Ask them for the Vin number by phone and we can check it- or if you have the full reg number we can trace it from there. Sounds a decent spec

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
It should be a 7g box in the 2010 model. Ask them for the Vin number by phone and we can check it- or if you have the full reg number we can trace it from there. Sounds a decent spec
My S203 (C Estate Avantgarde) is just on the cut-off before 204 and it has the 5 speed box which to be honest I can only now after 3.5 years actually feel when it's going to change. I expect you will have seen the button for S (Standard) / C (Comfort) - in the latter it will take off in 2nd gear, useful if you do a regular stop/start journey. But frankly after a couple of moths I just left it in S and put it into D and let the car do the job!

Good hunting.
byw Look at MB "approved" used cars - it allows self-searching. Depending on your budget you may be pleasantly surprised and they all come with 1 x year MB warranty and Mobilo (their built in breakdown service).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ apologies just Wiki'd it, the C200 CDI (204)did indeed have the 5g box! So as Dave says...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
there y'go...

Attachments

• WDD2040012A462583.pdf
    287.4 KB · Views: 10

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

No, it will be 5g on that year, the 7g was put on that engine at the facelift

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Im on my way to put deposit down on it. Wish me luck please .

Im stepping into the unknown.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Im on my way to put deposit down on it. Wish me luck please .

Im stepping into the unknown.
Nice one buddy . We like pics when you get the chance . Good luck

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
I am cr4pping myself. A lot if money and the unknown is making it harder. Thank you though.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Fingers crossed for you!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It'll all be fine and you'll soon be an MB convert ;)

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Hello folks.
First of all, just wanted to say thank you for all your help.
I put a deposit down on it last night, on the proviso that it is HPI clear, which it is - I checked this morning, and subject to a full history.
So, I have been checking the history this morning. It had a service at 16k in 2011, then it was in Leicestershire for 2 years between 2011 and and 2013 where there is no record of a service, well with Merc anyway. They there is Services done 50'ish K in 2013 and then another in 2015 at around 68'ish K.

Should I be concerned about whats been missed in between? Merc has said that they would be sure it has been done due to the way the following services went, but in the Merc system there is no record of it.

Do you think I would be OK? I am planning to get a major service done in 3 months (when it is due) at an Independant Merc place, costing between £250-£300.

I have found details with Merc of a varierty of other work done at 16k, 27k, 32, 57k, 67k, 74k - so it has been to Merc for things, but not serviced at Merc, and this is what made them say they are sure its been serviced, just not with them.

Would be very happy to hear your comments please.

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Merc.jpg

Top Bottom