Mercedes now too popular

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport
No and the home ownership thing still hasnt changed, it's gotten worse. People have easier access to finance particularly for cars.

I dont get it. Is it a bad thing that more people can now buy the homes they live in and the cars of their dreams and pay it off over time?

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Not true. If it covered the whole cost, people will just own the car for longer and instead of 3 years, we would have 5 year leases. Its not like these people stop driving after 3 yrs. They go back and lease another car. They have the money, let them spend it the way they see fit.

The lease means they never pay the true cost of the car and for the same monthly payment as a conventional loan payment or HP payment, they'll get a newer/higher spec car than they'd otherwise get if they could only HP the car

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The funny thing is those with real money or old money tend to have old cars...bought and paid for.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
The funny thing is those with real money or old money tend to have old cars...bought and paid for.

Too true.. thats how they got the money in the first place!

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The lease means they never pay the true cost of the car and for the same monthly payment as a conventional loan payment or HP payment, they'll get a newer/higher spec car than they'd otherwise get if they could only HP the car

A base C63 costs £57,000. 6 years of leasing a base C63 (broken into 2 different lease periods) will cost you about £56,000. Why is someone who chooses delayed gratification and saves up for 6 years to buy that C63 any better/well off than someone who chooses to have the car immediately and leases it?

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
That is very true, all my customers who are rolling in it drive 10 year old S Classes and Volvo estates.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how you buy it, for many it is a hobby.
Some people love cars and will spend money on them, they are a monthly outgoing in the same way as Sky TV, playing golf, going our for meals or down the pub, going to the football or the rugby, buying films or games or god forbid going fishing!!!

My old man has played golf 12 times this month, normally costs him around £60 a day including a beer and bite afterwards, which is £700 on golf for one month.
To me that is absurd. But he loves it, and that is all that matters.

If someone can be in a C63 for £500 a month and that is 'their thing' then so what?
Should they really go and buy a 2 year old C220cdi instead for £500 a month because they will own it at the end?

I pay my mortgages monthly, I pay my phone monthly, my tv, my broadband, my gas, my electricity, my rates, my water, my council tax, and more importantly I get paid my car allowance and wages monthly, so I just don't get why I should consider paying for a car in one lump?

I don't have any cars on credit, but right now there is nothing that I am fancying, so my old ML does the job and saves me a few quid each month, but I would never spend more than £10k in cash on a car, the thought of having that tied up scares me silly.

Do these same people hate mortgages??

Personally I am happy to have a mortgage, but prefer it on property I rent out, personally I would rather rent my own house.

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

And when they are dead and gone or worse still in a home their kids will spend the money on luxury cars they never enjoyed. Why make all that money if you are not going to spend it. If I had just a million, I would think nothing of spending a quarter of it on an Aventador. Personally I'd love to enjoy the nice cars and exotic holidays before I am 50. From then onwards I'd gladly live on £100 a week.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
And when they are dead and gone or worse still in a home their kids will spend the money on luxury cars they never enjoyed. Why make all that money if you are not going to spend it. If I had just a million, I would think nothing of spending a quarter of it on an Aventador. Personally I'd love to enjoy the nice cars and exotic holidays before I am 50. From then onwards I'd gladly live on £100 a week.

You'd need the income from the other £750,000 to run it. That's one expensive motor!!

OP
P

Pappilo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You'd need the income from the other £750,000 to run it. That's one expensive motor!!

But its just so so beautiful that I'd exchange my wife for one. Shame I only won a pound on the scratch card from this morning but hey its the euromillions in 2 days....you just never know.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I dont doubt this but change is the only constant thing. My dad had a brick like Nokia 190 mobile phone in west Africa in 1989 and he was the only one with one for miles. Last week my sister just bought her twin 6 year old sons their first mobile phones. I doubt their grandad is sitting there, feeling bitter just because in his time only company directors could afford mobile phones.

You cannot include high tech that the phone comes under, all prices drop on these things

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
If I had just a million, I would think nothing of spending a quarter of it on an Aventador.

See, now that I just don't get!

And maybe that is the issue with contract hire, if you don't have £1000s spare each month you think "Sod it, what's another £300 a month, if I have it in my pocket will I be much better off?"

But if you have £1m in the bank I bet more people would be reluctant to spend big money on a car.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But if you have £1m in the bank I bet more people would be reluctant to spend big money on a car.

I have too much money in the bank but what the hell an one do with it :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There are many needy causes Malc.

I do give to some, but reading all the accounts the ones running the things take most of it :( and drive around in better cars than me.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
I do give to some, but reading all the accounts the ones running the things take most of it :( and drive around in better cars than me.

Yes, it seems that you have to be wary of some charities these days - a poor show :(.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Well, on my road there are more Mercedes cars than houses!

Incidentally, all of those cars are mine!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom