Jack Mercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class amg sport
Good evening

I just got my back after a warranty respray if there is such a thing. The initial obvious microblustering was on the bonnet which showed the initial signs of obvious microblistering and peeling , but the doors, roof and, boot were done as welll. I literally got the car back tonight and the paint appeared fine when leaving the Mercedes approved repair centre, got home and the bonnet is again showing huge areas of peeling and blistering, in a different area than before but I literally had the car back 45 minutes, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I would be revisiting the dealer and pointing out that their "approved repair centre" haven't done a proper job and its not to your satisfaction.

OP
J

Jack Mercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class amg sport
I honestly don't know i was told they were taking two layers off, and then respraying it but i honestly am not sure, the fact it is peeling in literally 45 muntutes, do you think as you say they have blended (iam not familiar with this) and not stripped back down as they said ??

OP
J

Jack Mercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class amg sport
how long have they had the car for
Car is 2013, i bought it in December last year 46k, this first started in feb, but they only took it in two weeks ago, and i got it back as i say this evening.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It just has to go back.
It will have been done on the cheap, I have had some appalling work carried out by MB's approved repairers.

OP
J

Jack Mercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class amg sport
It just has to go back.
It will have been done on the cheap, I have had some appalling work carried out by MB's approved repairers.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, disgusted with it to be honest The main dealer and repair centre are all owned by the same outfit, so no doubt as you say it has been done on the cheap.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I honestly don't know i was told they were taking two layers off, and then respraying it but i honestly am not sure, the fact it is peeling in literally 45 muntutes, do you think as you say they have blended (iam not familiar with this) and not stripped back down as they said ??

My understanding is this problem is a reaction between the primer & paint coat which can only be fixed with a bare metal respray?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My understanding is this problem is a reaction between the primer & paint coat which can only be fixed with a bare metal respray?
My understanding too....

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
By two layers do they mean the clear coat and the colour coat, leaving the primer behind? Doesn't make any sense to me . I suspect the whole job has been fudged as appears to have happened to several cars when Mb first admitted there was a problem. From what others have said only a complete bare metal respray has cured the issue. The problem is of course that you can't see what the dealers are doing when the car is in their bodyshop. Take it back and demand a back to metal repaint. MB Manchester seem to have had a good record of sorting out Fire Opal resprays.

Also of course the dealer would have been fully aware they were selling you a potential paint time bomb when they sold you the car in December. So don't have any sympathy with them.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Yes, as above, it has to go back to bare metal, or it will resurface, as you have experienced!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes it does make you wonder what sorcery would be involved to remove just two layers.

If you put yourself in the place of the paint-shop MB will be paying a lower rate and only for the directly affected panels.

I smile when I hear people saying you get a better job at a main dealer, "with all the correct genuine parts, training and equipment"

The reality is you get fobbed off .

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Or MB HO are paying the full rate and the paintshop is making a big profit?
I suspect the dealership might be being a bit "sharp" and charging MB for the full job then trying to get away with the minimum work to get the customer out the door.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My friends was away for 6 weeks, full respray and it looked mint afterwards (if red can look mint):rolleyes:

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
It's a strip down to the bare metal job.....there is no other way !!!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom