MERCEDES S CLASS v LEXUS LS

C200 goblin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200, W202. 1998
Well, I am 27 and like the S class - its not an old mans car, but is at old mans prices though.

I think in the end, to summize this thread, its all emotions, pure and simple. You pick your S or your LS according to your heart, whereas your brain would surely settle on the LS!
Aint that life!
Oh! And hawk20, you obviously havent got a clue about Japanese either! I lived there, worked there, partook of women there (in the near matrimonial sense)....... they are completely different from the Snobbish English! Japanese HIDE face, only when you get to know them deeply, and it is ****** difficult, do you actually see, feel and understand what they trully think. Do you think they would tell you they liked an S-Class out of a) FACE, b) TRUTH? To understand Japanese, you need to become one, and even a Gaikokujin like me would take years, if never to really understand them!

Those liking S-Class's should disclose there age! I get the feeling the average age would not be 19!

C200 goblin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200, W202. 1998
I clearly remember what we haveas the Lexus IS200,in Japan it is the Toyota Altezza. That is one of many.

In fact the current Lexus range are branded Lexus in Japan.
Having spent some time in Japan I can say with 100% certainty
that brand image matters more in Japan than any other country.
The Lexus name there isn't considered in the same class as foreign
prestige brands.Mind you it's only in Anglo Saxon markets that Lexus have done well.In places like France and Italy they are anonymous and do poorly in road tests.The old IS 200 only scored 2 stars in Autoroute magazine.

adam

Hibbo

Reaction score
does for it in my book. Mercs for me please.

I guy I used to work with splashed out on a brand new IS300 a couple of years ago (with a little bit of help from daddy-in-law), he was that kind of bloke - recarro child seats for feck's sake! - He'd had it for one week when the new partridge series came on. He was in work for approx 3 secs the next morning before the first "Ahh-ha!"

Think he sold it not long after! :p

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

johnmc

Reaction score
Talking to my little local garage,and me saying that I may move over into the diagnostic trade, they told that they send 35 small family cars a month away to have fault codes re set and cleared, another two sales outlets had the same amount,so 70 cars a month at £35, thats £2.5k a month,or £30k per annum without even trying. Say spend £6k for the best set up and the sky is the limit.

Malcolm

Malcolm, my friend here runs his own garage, and has commented a few times that as well as resetting codes it is also a nightmare keeping the firmware (software in the car) up to date with releases coming out from the manufacturers. He reckons a lot of customer satisfaction problems would be easily fixed if the software revisions were checked against service notices and kept up to date before re-sale and at service times. Most dealers and independents don't bother to check them. Could be another sideline for someone working on fault codes?

John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Malcolm, my friend here runs his own garage, and has commented a few times that as well as resetting codes it is also a nightmare keeping the firmware (software in the car) up to date with releases coming out from the manufacturers. He reckons a lot of customer satisfaction problems would be easily fixed if the software revisions were checked against service notices and kept up to date before re-sale and at service times. Most dealers and independents don't bother to check them. Could be another sideline for someone working on fault codes?

John

Very true John, when will the day come when all of the car maker pool the updates for the good of the customer, as it stand although this info is suposed to be available by the blocking regs its still delayed and in most cases secret. I was always taught that a happy cuctomer was the most important thing. Car Data have some mods and updates that MB do not have, its a mess, On the domestic side of things, Bush and Murphy hung themselves in the end as the products were impossible to service through no parts or info, any non dealer just said sorry,no parts and the customer never bought another one. where is it all going, who knows,it makes me tired and sad thinking about it, for at the end of the day,all I want to do is to give the customer the best possible service, I have a £300 Sony system on the bench it wants a piece costing 2p I cant identify the part so it will be scrapped.

malcolm

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Mercedes S Class

I agree the Lexus has many things that a driver wants, and the LS400 was a great car to drive. But compared with Mercedes S Class it cant hold a candle.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom